Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Aus realy that different from UK

Is Aus realy that different from UK

Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:28 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Is Aus realy that different from UK

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I think OZ is completely different to UK. Especially the weather.
In terms of weather and sunshine Australia is similar to Pakistan.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Aus realy that different from UK

Originally Posted by keenymeeny
Don't underestimate the influence of China, the fastest growing economy in the world. China is building at the rate of a city the size of Perth every 4 weeks. It is absorbing money, resources and expertise from all over the world and is on the way to being a very powerful and influential nation.

I think is entirely possible that when China does become the strongest nation in the world... sometime within the next 10-20 years, that Australia will enjoy a similar relationship to China, that the UK has with the US at present. Thats why Asian Migration will really benefit Australia. Australia is in a perfect political and becoming socially acceptable as a link between China with Europe and the US. It could be that Australia will also be Chinas main natural resource supplier, from Food through to raw materials. So a very close relationship is bound to emerge.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 26th 2008 at 1:13 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
It has less oppurtunities/less business as compared with US.
And the sky is blue and water is wet. What's your point?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:13 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Is Aus realy that different from UK

Originally Posted by Hutch
And the sky is blue and water is wet. What's your point?
People dont only need these for life. Tanzania and Zimbwabe have blue sky and wet water then , why dont people migrate there?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think is entirely possible that when China does become the strongest nation in the world... sometime within the next 10-20 years, that Australia will enjoy a similar relationship to China, that the UK has with the US at present. Thats why Asian Migration will really benefit Australia. Australia is in a perfect political and becoming socially acceptable as a link between China with Europe and the US. It could be that Australia will also be Chinas main natural resource supplier, from Food through to raw materials. So a very close relationship is bound to emerge.
And a close relationship with a Communist dictatorship that brutally represses it's own people is a good thing?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
And a close relationship with a Communist dictatorship that brutally represses it's own people is a good thing?
The political situation in China has changed dramatically since the 60's, I suspect the evolution will continue at a slow but steady pace. They are opening up to the rest of the world, and the external influces should continue to produce dynamic changes over the next 2-3 decades. Things have changed a lot since Tiananmen square in 1989, back then a close association would not have been desireable. Closer ties with China are now a prudent move especially considering our Geographical location at the South easterly tip of Asia. I'd say it was inevitable, with the now obvious, multifaceted and historically predictable decline of the US

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 26th 2008 at 6:03 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The political situation in China has changed dramatically since the 60's, I suspect the evolution will continue at a slow but steady pace. They are opening up to the rest of the world, and the external influces should continue to produce dynamic changes over the next 2-3 decades. Things have changed a lot since Tiananmen square in 1989, back then a close association would not have been desireable. Closer ties with China are now a prudent move especially considering our Geographical location at the South easterly tip of Asia. I'd say it was inevitable, with the now obvious, multifaceted and historically predictable decline of the US
Totally agree with you that the suituation has changed since Tiananmen and in many ways for the better. However until there is change on issues such as Tibet and the rights of individuals then I will remain sceptical.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

People dont only need these for life. Tanzania and Zimbwabe have blue sky and wet water then , why dont people migrate there?
Don't know what you survive on but my body needs water or I'll die. Perhaps it's just me
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

my opinion is that life is very the same in some ways and very different in others- thats a bit of a cop out isnt it so....

we have far less money here than in UK- our wages are much lower and although we have a bigger house, the interest rates mean our mortgage payments are over 3 times what there were in the UK

our food bill is vastly more expensive too but then we are in Tassie which is expensive for food.

but we didnt come here to be better off, we came here for a better quality of life

we have a 5 month old who will grow up in a place with no crime as such, the cleanest air in the world, a sporty outdoor lifestyle and surrounded by the most amazing scenery- thats worth more to us than money

PLus we may have lost the ascessibility to Europe ( which believe me, you totally take for granted when you have it !!) but a short flight and we could be sipping coffee overlooking the opera house, shopping in Melbourne, taking a helicopter flight over the great barrier reef etc etc

Nat xx
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:09 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natty
my opinion is that life is very the same in some ways and very different in others- thats a bit of a cop out isnt it so....

we have far less money here than in UK- our wages are much lower and although we have a bigger house, the interest rates mean our mortgage payments are over 3 times what there were in the UK

our food bill is vastly more expensive too but then we are in Tassie which is expensive for food.

but we didnt come here to be better off, we came here for a better quality of life

we have a 5 month old who will grow up in a place with no crime as such, the cleanest air in the world, a sporty outdoor lifestyle and surrounded by the most amazing scenery- thats worth more to us than money

PLus we may have lost the ascessibility to Europe ( which believe me, you totally take for granted when you have it !!) but a short flight and we could be sipping coffee overlooking the opera house, shopping in Melbourne, taking a helicopter flight over the great barrier reef etc etc

Nat xx
Well said. And its not often I agree with a Tasmaniac!

Its different. Yes there are anolgies but its different. Like living in central London is different to living in the Yorkshire Dales.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

It is different. But not THAT different, i.e. culture shock is really minimal no matter what people say. Bottom line is that if you want to move to a place that is totally different from the UK you can cross Australia off your list.

I agree with posters sayint that Australia is getting closer to the USA in terms of lifestyle/culture than it is with the UK.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Think all countries have wet water, haven't found one yet with the dry version
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

The spiders are bigger
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Salaries are crap in Australia, its extremely less than what I was getting in Europe approx. 400 Euro per day.Its some figure close to China.
What was you doing in Europe, was you the King of Spain ?

If you earn 400 €`s a week you are on a good screw, let alone 400 a day. lol
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:26 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't know what you survive on but my body needs water or I'll die. Perhaps it's just me
Weirdo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.