Wikiposts

Aus Property

Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Squidgy is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Aus Property

As a potential retiree to Aus what are the regulations about buying a second property to generate income and are you restricted to buying new property??
Regards
John
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:55 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aus Property

Originally posted by johnharniman
As a potential retiree to Aus what are the regulations about buying a second property to generate income and are you restricted to buying new property??
Regards
John
If you have PR / citizenship, then no - there are no restrictions (provided you have the money to pay for them. )
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:01 am
plumber39

Same here , don't remember reading anythink different!

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by downunderpom
If you have PR / citizenship, then no - there are no restrictions (provided you have the money to pay for them. )
Thanks for your reply But what is PR
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:32 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your reply But what is PR
PR = Permanent Residence. If you are a visitor there are all sorts of things to go through with the FIRB - the Foreign Investment Review Board, who don't want 'foreigners' buying up huge chunks of Australian real estate and sitting on it for years, then selling it later at a profit and taking the profits out of Australia.

So, if you have PR / citizenship, then just buy the properties, rent them out (yourself or through a real estate agency) and remember to pay taxes on the rental income!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:12 am
Just Joined

PR = Permanent Residence. If you are a visitor there are all sorts of things to go through with the FIRB - the Foreign Investment Review Board, who don't want 'foreigners' buying up huge chunks of Australian real estate and sitting on it for years, then selling it later at a profit and taking the profits out of Australia.

So, if you have PR / citizenship, then just buy the properties, rent them out (yourself or through a real estate agency) and remember to pay taxes on the rental income!

As a retiree to OZ I think I can only get a tempoary visa.
So it appears from what you say without a PR visa I cant buy a second property for income/
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:34 am
I like kittens.

As a retiree to OZ I think I can only get a tempoary visa.
So it appears from what you say without a PR visa I cant buy a second property for income/
Hmmmm... I'd advise checking the immigration forum, but my understanding is that a retirement visa is permanent.

No doubt someone like Alan Collett would be able to advise you better.

IF... you can only get a temp visa then you will probably have problems buying property - my deal with the FIRB is that I bought vacant land, and have to start 'continuous building' within 12 months of purchase. Your situation (wanting invesment properties) is different. I have no personal experience of that. Over to someone who has that knowledge....
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:51 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that if you are a temp visa holder & its your primary place of residence under FIRB guidelines you have to build or buy new. You can buy established however if one of a couple is a PR & the other temp without FIRB IF its your primary place of residence. Other than that, if you only have a temp visa, no investment, Dagboy is in that position atm until he gets his PR.

Someone will correct me if Im wrong! But I think thats pretty close.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:58 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by downunderpom
Hmmmm... I'd advise checking the immigration forum, but my understanding is that a retirement visa is permanent.

Sorry, but wrong.

Although a retirement visa can be thought of as effectively permanent, it only lasts for 4 years initially and then has to be renewed every 2 years. It comes under the temporary visa banner for DIMIA purposes.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:36 am
tennisoz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rog Williams

Sorry, but wrong.

Although a retirement visa can be thought of as effectively permanent, it only lasts for 4 years initially and then has to be renewed every 2 years. It comes under the temporary visa banner for DIMIA purposes.
Yep, and another small point (in Victoria anyway). You get hit for a new tax on any properties which aren't your primary residence. It's only a few hundred dollars in our case. We live in the UK now so they class our place in Melbourne as not our primary residence. When we move back we won't have to pay it but would if we had a second property - oh, you get it!

TennisOz

Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:52 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

When I was a temporary resident I looked into this.

As a temporary resident there are NO restrictions on buying a home. There are FIRB restrictions on buying an investment property as someone already said. However, these do not prohibit you from being able to buy an investment property, but merely limit what you can or cant buy.

You CAN buy an investment in a new development consisting of multiple units or townhouses where the developer has FIRB permission to sell a percentage to foreigners up to a maximum (dont remember the exact percentage but I think its 20%). The building developer will be able to tell you if you are able to buy one of their properties and will fall over backwards to help you do so.

You CAN buy land and have a house built for an investment property.

You CAN NOT buy an already constructed standalone house as second home/investment property as a temporary resident.

I was thinking of going down the land purchase and build route, until I realised that I could only afford land in parts of Australia so far away from where I was living (Sydney) that it became all too difficult.

Hope that helps. Look up the FIRB rules on the internet, I recall that its all in pretty plain English.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Herman
When I was a temporary resident I looked into this.

As a temporary resident there are NO restrictions on buying a home. There are FIRB restrictions on buying an investment property as someone already said. However, these do not prohibit you from being able to buy an investment property, but merely limit what you can or cant buy.

You CAN buy an investment in a new development consisting of multiple units or townhouses where the developer has FIRB permission to sell a percentage to foreigners up to a maximum (dont remember the exact percentage but I think its 20%). The building developer will be able to tell you if you are able to buy one of their properties and will fall over backwards to help you do so.

You CAN buy land and have a house built for an investment property.

You CAN NOT buy an already constructed standalone house as second home/investment property as a temporary resident.

I was thinking of going down the land purchase and build route, until I realised that I could only afford land in parts of Australia so far away from where I was living (Sydney) that it became all too difficult.

Hope that helps. Look up the FIRB rules on the internet, I recall that its all in pretty plain English.
Thanks for the info. But I cant find the FIRB web address
do you still have it? Regards John

Hi Herman
After much searching I have now found an e-mail address for enquiries which may also be of interest to others [email protected]
However I would still like to hear from anyone who has done what Im contemplating.
Thanks to every one for the the inputs Regards John

Last edited by Squidgy; Nov 7th 2003 at 6:08 am.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. But I cant find the FIRB web address
do you still have it? Regards John

Hi Herman
After much searching I have now found an e-mail address for enquiries which may also be of interest to others [email protected]
However I would still like to hear from anyone who has done what Im contemplating.
Thanks to every one for the the inputs Regards John

John, heres the FIRB website & relevant pages, just chose the type of real estate you are interested in.

FIRB - buying residential real estate