Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus is not pants?

Aus is not pants?

Old May 17th 2004, 11:49 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hevs
And i thought the block was that home reno programme that i watch
I had enough of the Freedom plugs from the first episode of the first series. That block is 5 mins walk away.
Old May 17th 2004, 11:57 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Aus is not pants?

Originally posted by kong
Leaving the crime/drug ridden society that is the UK, to the utopia that is Australia???

Redfern's $50m heroin turnover
By Megan Saunders
17may04

THE Block in the inner Sydney suburb of Redfern is now the largest illicit drug market in Australia, with turnover from heroin as high as $50 million a year, according to a submission to a NSW government inquiry into the area's problems.

The inquiry, which begins open hearings tomorrow, was triggered by bloody clashes in February between Aboriginal residents and police after an Aboriginal teenager died when he fell off his bike and was impaled on a fence.
Police have denied they were chasing him at the time.

A senior police officer with the Redfern area command, Sergeant Paul Huxtable, in a submission obtained by The Australian, says drug use is so much the norm on The Block that six-year-old children mill around the needle exchange bus as it daily dispenses clean syringes by the hundreds.

Women are reportedly trading sex for heroin and drug users make little effort to shoot up in private, often choosing the children's playground instead.

"One cannot walk the length of The Block without having to hurdle nests of syringes, the 'sharps' containers are always full to overflowing," Sergeant Huxtable writes in his submission to the Standing Committee on Social Issues.

One eight-year-old child had committed 31 criminal offences including sexual assault, he said.

Sergeant Huxtable said more than 1 million syringes were handed out in The Block under a government-funded needle exchange program in 2001.

At the current price for heroin of $50 per street deal, "if the current syringe handout is consistent with 2001, we have an annual turnover of over $50 million tax free", he said.

"I acknowledge these figures are coarse, however nobody can argue that there is not an enormous amount of heroin being moved through The Block pulling in enormous amounts of money," Sergeant Huxtable said.

He said The Block's problems had "little to do with race and everything to do with pure old-fashioned human greed. It is about the protection of a lucrative heroin trade".

"There needs to be recognition that the crime problems at The Block are far greater than any racial problems.

"The real enemy of the young Aboriginal people are not the police but their Aboriginal kin who peddle heroin and by doing so commit them to a life of unemployment, poverty, misery and crime."

In another submission to the inquiry, the Aboriginal Housing Company demands the removal of a government-funded needle exchange bus because hundreds of clean syringes were being passed on to dealers who sold drug "package deals".

AHC chief executive Michael Mundine also claimed children as young as six were sitting "in or around" the bus which operated in front of a children's playground.

Users were taking plastic bags filled with hundreds of needles, which ended up in the hands of drug dealers.

"The needle bus has been like a honey pot for drug addicts and dealers from all over Sydney looking for an area where drugs are tolerated," said Mr Mundine, the uncle of boxer Anthony Mundine and cousin of national Labor president-elect Warren Mundine.

privacy © Advertiser Newspapers Pty Limited

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...55E421,00.html

Australia is a very large country. Redfern is one suburb in one city,
unless you are insane enough to want to live there these problems will not affect you. Where l live in a town on the west coast of Victoria, there are no drugs, l always leave my door unlocked when l go out and have never been burgled, and there is no crime except for minor offences such as vandalism.
The level of crime you experience depends on where abouts you want to live.

Old May 18th 2004, 12:03 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are no drugs? Bullshit...
Old May 18th 2004, 12:07 am
wombat42

Originally posted by Florida_03
There are no drugs? Bullshit...
your right, that was bullshit, but the rest was'nt.

Last edited by wombat42; May 18th 2004 at 12:10 am.

Old May 18th 2004, 2:01 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

l always leave my door unlocked when l go out, and there is no crime? also Bullshit....

jib
Old May 18th 2004, 2:06 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Sometimes people just decide to have a complete change when the opportunity arises.

For example: I didn't like Sydney, and went back to the UK, but I ended up in Brisbane, much happier.

Similar to you; you didn't like one part of Australia and moved to another, and then back to UK ?

We all try things in our own different ways.

Why should anyone have to stay in one country, just because others think its best for them ?

The problem with posts like these, is that it creates antagonistic reactions, which is what the original poster is actually wanting to do, rather than genuine HELPFULL comments.
Hi There,

I agree, many people feel they need a complete change, we thought we did, although not a permanent one it has done us the world of good.

My post was about the people who really slate the UK though, not in regard to anyone on this forum but to some I've met since being here....(most from the North of England) they arrive here and all they do is go on about how bad the UK is, mainly all based on their home town.

I don't hate Australia it's just right for me, I have issues about certain things but my issues are based on how I compare things to the UK (called Whinging, I know ) I never left the UK because I hated it and I'am not leaving here because I hate it, I'am just homesick.

You're right about the antagonistic comments, but some like to spice up the forum
Old May 18th 2004, 2:08 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jib
l always leave my door unlocked when l go out, and there is no crime? also Bullshit....
jib
Do you only feel safe with a concealed weapon license and a .38 stuffed down your pants? A lot of my neighbours and workmates only feel safe then.

Heaven forfend if Australia gets to that stage anywhere huh?
Old May 18th 2004, 2:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by janeyray
Hi There,

I agree, many people feel they need a complete change, we thought we did, although not a permanent one it has done us the world of good.

My post was about the people who really slate the UK though, not in regard to anyone on this forum but to some I've met since being here....(most from the North of England) they arrive here and all they do is go on about how bad the UK is, mainly all based on their home town.

I don't hate Australia it's just right for me, I have issues about certain things but my issues are based on how I compare things to the UK (called Whinging, I know ) I never left the UK because I hated it and I'am not leaving here because I hate it, I'am just homesick.

You're right about the antagonistic comments, but some like to spice up the forum
Hi Janeyray,
What gets me is when people slate one country, and it can be either country, in generalisation.
Then some others read that and think "thats wrong", and instead of having sensible discussions, so that the people reading the forum for information that they can base their future on, can read and use as valuable advise, it turns into a slanging match.

It has been said many times before, that all countries have problems, they all have crime, but.... some areas of these countries have little or no crime.
Some on them you can even leave your doors unlocked, in perfect safety. Some of them have police sirens going off all day long, some of them you don't see a police car for weeks or months.

The UK is a Great group of countries, if you like them
Australia is a Great country, if you like it

PS: I'm from the North of England

Old May 18th 2004, 2:35 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

PS: I'm from the North of England

:scared: no offence!!!!
Old May 18th 2004, 3:41 am
wombat42

Originally posted by jib

jib
l never said there was no crime where l live, l said there was little crime and l can leave my house unlocked without being burgled.
l was trying to make the point that the level of crime you experience depends on where you live. If you live in a city in Australia you would be crazy to leave your door unlocked but some small towns or rural areas in Australia there is little crime.

Old May 18th 2004, 3:44 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by plumber
I've calmed down now............the glass is half full again!!!!

"RULE BRITANIA......BRITANIA RULES THE WAVES"

All the best PATRIOTIC Plum......filling up!!!!

ohh yes Plumber you just like to slag off the likes of people returning to the Uk don't you !!very patriotic.....in the "deadside" as you put it !!!

cheers again......
Old May 18th 2004, 4:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

)
Originally posted by wombat42
l never said there was no crime where l live, l said there was little crime and l can leave my house unlocked without being burgled.
l was trying to make the point that the level of crime you experience depends on where you live. If you live in a city in Australia you would be crazy to leave your door unlocked but some small towns or rural areas in Australia there is little crime.
Agreed

I leave my front door unlocked if tradespeople are coming round and i have to pop out (my plumber and my sparky are family friens at the mo )
I also leave my car unlocked
We have an unlocked shed in an unlocked garden gate that opens out onto a reserve. I certainly didn't feel safe with this set up where I lived in the uk!!!
However if i lived about 10 mins further to the city, i would be a lot more cautious
Old May 18th 2004, 6:20 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by hevs
)
Agreed

I leave my front door unlocked if tradespeople are coming round and i have to pop out (my plumber and my sparky are family friens at the mo )
I also leave my car unlocked
We have an unlocked shed in an unlocked garden gate that opens out onto a reserve. I certainly didn't feel safe with this set up where I lived in the uk!!!
However if i lived about 10 mins further to the city, i would be a lot more cautious

Same here Hevs, unless your part of the Melbourne underworld it seems pretty safe in most outer Southern Suburbs.
BTW hope you didn't pay to get your water tank filled yesterday, todays rain would probably have filled it twice over.
Old May 18th 2004, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
Same here Hevs, unless your part of the Melbourne underworld it seems pretty safe in most outer Southern Suburbs.
BTW hope you didn't pay to get your water tank filled yesterday, todays rain would probably have filled it twice over.

Hasnt Country Victoria got some pretty good goings on tho, what about Moe, the murdered baby and people chucking pigs heads through windows, some of the details in that case made country Victoria look less than pretty. Weve got mates in Wangaratta they keep 4 rotweilers as guard dogs! Think its a bit sweeping to say once out of Melb its all OK, there are some rough as hell dumps down there too, just like anywhere.

There seems to be a big drive on at the moment to make out aus is some squeaky clean safe old place, (not you, just forum in general), look I like aus but some of the posts are getting just a a bit too unbelievable, I can understand newbies or visitors claiming that its some drug free crime free world, the tourist haunts usually are very clean and very nicely controlled!! But the good old suburbs, no surely someones pulling a leg here

Last edited by jad n rich; May 18th 2004 at 6:49 am.
Old May 18th 2004, 6:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
I saw there have been a few more knocking offs recently. I wonder when the movie will be.

I spent the weekend in country NSW in a town where they do leave doors open. Its not like anyone is going to see or hear a door being kicked down when the driveway is 2kms long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.