Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Originally Posted by dave99
I would say its time to find another job, theres lots out there. In any of my jobs in aus I never had to work overtime or do a long 12 hour day, or a 10 or 11 hour one either. Even though I work in IT where systems can go down and need urgent maintenance I found people would be out the door at 5pm sharp regardless of what work still needed to be done. It was a very different attitude to the stay late and work weekends that I was used to in the UK.

If your having to work to much, find something else. One bad employer doesnt represent a country as a whole I reckon.
Not that many jobs in disaster management, especially for someone my age who has worked up through the ranks with no qualifications! The odd hours go with the territory and I don't mind them, though it just feels a bit like being on that hamster wheel at present....makes me laugh a bit when people talk about emigrating for a better life, for all I see of Australia these days I could be in almost any city on earth - skyscrapers outside the window plus its raining outside!!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Yes, my experience is vastly different. I get paid less in Australia and have never worked so hard in my life, with so many idiots.
In my experience you are right about the idiots and wrong about the pay. It is becoming increasingly difficult to put up with the narrow minded, insular, bogans who trek in from the outback and profess to be experts in IT and yet have only ever had one job, a certificate from some place called TAFE and no passport.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beoz
In my experience you are right about the idiots and wrong about the pay. It is becoming increasingly difficult to put up with the narrow minded, insular, bogans who trek in from the outback and profess to be experts in IT and yet have only ever had one job, a certificate from some place called TAFE and no passport.
Yes the quality of Australian IT workers that are in Australia is shockingly bad and management seem to know this because everything is proceduralised to the point where failure is acceptable so long as you follow the procedure and success is unacceptable if you don't follow procedure. It causes so much non productive work that I found myself having to work an extra 3 or so hours per day to do what I now do in London in 4-5 hours that I need to work to do my job. Even though I have the stated aim of moving back when I can afford a house in Mosman (which is now only about 1-2 years away) I really don't want to go back to work there because it's so retarded.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:23 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends who you are working for. Most places I have been to I have had to build procedures where there were none. Now I have just moved to an outsourcer life is quite different. I reserve judgement for a few months to see what happens.

Originally Posted by isgraham
Yes the quality of Australian IT workers that are
in Australia is shockingly bad and management seem to know this because everything is proceduralised to the point where failure is acceptable so long as you follow the procedure and success is unacceptable if you don't follow procedure. It causes so much non productive work that I found myself having to work an extra 3 or so hours per day to do what I now do in London in 4-5 hours that I need to work to do my job. Even though I have the stated aim of moving back when I can afford a house in Mosman (which is now only about 1-2 years away) I really don't want to go back to work there because it's so retarded.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the quality of Australian IT workers that are in Australia is shockingly bad and management seem to know this because everything is proceduralised to the point where failure is acceptable so long as you follow the procedure and success is unacceptable if you don't follow procedure.
That is one of the most clinical and accurate descriptions I've ever heard. I've framed it and sent it to everyone I work with. I probably won't have a job in the morning and I don't care.

Last edited by Beoz; Mar 21st 2012 at 8:53 am.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

bosswobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well go home then
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

That is one of the most clinical and accurate descriptions I've ever heard. I've framed it and sent it to everyone I work with. I probably won't have a job in the morning and I don't care.
Here's another bit for you then.

Another thing I saw regularly was that when procedures were acknowledged to be wrong they would create a new procedure to add to the procedure that didn't work in the hope that an additional procedure would rectify the problems created by the flawed procedure. Also constantly changing documentation that needed to be submitted to do releases and not telling anyone was a good one.

I don't have any of that any more I get to do within reason what I need to with the full knowledge that if I get it wrong I will be sacked something that I am perfectly happy with.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bosswobo
Well go home then
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well go home then
I did and Im much better for it too thanks.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well go home then
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well it's been bonus day today and I have done better in 1 year here (London) than I did in 5 years in Sydney. That house in mosman is getting closer all the time.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you joke? It's clear to me that there are two tracks for expats in Australia - the bogan backwater jobs and professional jobs.

Don't tell me you are another IT support/network/'engineer' helpdesk type - these are the TAFE types in my experience?!

Even the Indians who can't speak English particularly well have masters et cetera.

Yes the quality of Australian IT workers that are in Australia is shockingly bad and management seem to know this because everything is proceduralised to the point where failure is acceptable so long as you follow the procedure and success is unacceptable if you don't follow procedure. It causes so much non productive work that I found myself having to work an extra 3 or so hours per day to do what I now do in London in 4-5 hours that I need to work to do my job. Even though I have the stated aim of moving back when I can afford a house in Mosman (which is now only about 1-2 years away) I really don't want to go back to work there because it's so retarded.
I say it varies - I've only had one bad mob - and they had battler written all over the place...I just left and learnt from the experience. (The calibre of people was TAFE...)

If anything, things are not proceduralised enough - yet IT demands some sort of process or procedure...! most people realise this.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

ChopNess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Surely you joke? It's clear to me that there are two tracks for expats in Australia - the bogan backwater jobs and professional jobs.

Don't tell me you are another IT support/network/'engineer' helpdesk type - these are the TAFE types in my experience?!
How ignorant of you. I'll respond with my own batch of ignorance. Don't tell me you're another bullshit policy pusher who doesn't actually know anything about IT.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChopNess
How ignorant of you. I'll respond with my own batch of ignorance. Don't tell me you're another bullshit policy pusher who doesn't actually know anything about IT.
not at all... I am an allrounder and have observed much of it...

so perhaps we can avoid ignorance and stop silly things about entire professions in any one country?
Old Mar 25th 2012, 12:57 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Another dev due for offshoring.

Are you just as patronizing to tradies?
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Even the Indians who can't speak English particularly well have masters et cetera.

I say it varies - I've only had one bad mob - and they had battler written all over the place...I just left and learnt from the experience. (The calibre of people was TAFE...)

If anything, things are not proceduralised enough - yet IT demands some sort of process or procedure...! most people realise this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.