Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Paul2412 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

My first contract here (Surry Hills, Sydney) is on a working holiday visa with a digital agency. The pay is similar to my contract role in the UK (Sheffield) but obviously with a much higher cost of living.

My rate is $57.50 per hour, however because of the higher tax (28%) than the corporation tax I was paying in the UK of 21% I come away with about £100 more per week than in the UK.

Similar rates for almost identical roles seem to range between $50 - $85 per hour.

By the far the biggest difference though is the working culture. Friday's are generally spent at the pub (paid for by the boss), going for BBQ's and spending time in the office where the DJ set is and drinking.

You're much more likely to get a thanks for something, the people are much friendlier and morale is high.

In the UK as a contractor, I felt almost like an alien in most places. The first contract here although it's only for 3 months feels like a world away.

Yeah, the cost of living is higher but so far it seems like a much better place to work!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 1:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2412

By the far the biggest difference though is the working culture. Friday's are generally spent at the pub (paid for by the boss), going for BBQ's and spending time in the office where the DJ set is and drinking.

You're much more likely to get a thanks for something, the people are much friendlier and morale is high.
Could you tell us where you work cos I'm sure I'm not the only one who fancies a job there.....
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Could you tell us where you work cos I'm sure I'm not the only one who fancies a job there.....
Yes, my experience is vastly different. I get paid less in Australia and have never worked so hard in my life, with so many idiots.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

parlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really niceparlex is just really nice

Originally Posted by sr71
Yes, my experience is vastly different. I get paid less in Australia and have never worked so hard in my life, with so many idiots.

... tell us more!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:13 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a dream job

Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:39 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Sounds like a dream job
Its certainly vastly different from any job I've ever had here (or anywhere come to that!!)
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Paul2412 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, all I can say it its in Surry Hills...

Sure, it's quite pressured (projects need to be turned around in less than a week so the application is running for TV commercials) but it's still an enjoyable place to work.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, all I can say it its in Surry Hills...

Sure, it's quite pressured (projects need to be turned around in less than a week so the application is running for TV commercials) but it's still an enjoyable place to work.
Your're not the only one whose life is not one big battle...I'd wager....

There are plenty of good jobs (and experiences) out there. Keep it up. My first job was like that here. The lunches used to go on for hours...
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Its certainly vastly different from any job I've ever had here (or anywhere come to that!!)
I would have thought that part of Fridays would be a bit of a swan in the public sector! Or does the work (emergency services etc) you do preclude that?!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

My first contract here (Surry Hills, Sydney) is on a working holiday visa with a digital agency. The pay is similar to my contract role in the UK (Sheffield) but obviously with a much higher cost of living.

My rate is $57.50 per hour, however because of the higher tax (28%) than the corporation tax I was paying in the UK of 21% I come away with about £100 more per week than in the UK.

Similar rates for almost identical roles seem to range between $50 - $85 per hour.

In the UK as a contractor, I felt almost like an alien in most places. The first contract here although it's only for 3 months feels like a world away.

Yeah, the cost of living is higher but so far it seems like a much better place to work!
You only get to go out 1 afternoon per week? That's harsh. I'd rather take London thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:44 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I would have thought that part of Fridays would be a bit of a swan in the public sector! Or does the work (emergency services etc) you do preclude that?!
Trust me that comment would not go down well at work; you have absolutely no idea. We're there till 5-6-7pm most nights, 12 hour days are common. This year so far I've been doing 6 day weeks. The boss cancelled the Christmas party cos he wanted us to finish as much as possible before Christmas, and while there have been three leaving do's lately on Fridays they haven't started till 5 and then only the senior staff got to go. We can't get paid for overtime so it builds up till you have to take a day off in lieu of pay - at which point they get a temp in for a day so you have to clear your desk or lose all your stationery!
I have never been so exhausted in my life, even operational 12 hour shifts are better cos its adrenalin fuelled, this is just head down adding up figures.

Queensland is getting reconstructed but we aren't half putting some hours and some effort behind the scenes into doing it.

My part of the team is also responsible for putting out the activation notices about Federal and State disaster relief whenever there is a major event. Hours of work on each one, we have had at least seven this year, and thats before the one launched today which could possibly become nearly as widespread as the flooding/TC Tasha last year.
http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/St...medium=twitter

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 19th 2012 at 1:46 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trust me that comment would not go down well at work; you have absolutely no idea. We're there till 5-6-7pm most nights, 12 hour days are common. This year so far I've been doing 6 day weeks. The boss cancelled the Christmas party cos he wanted us to finish as much as possible before Christmas, and while there have been three leaving do's lately on Fridays they haven't started till 5 and then only the senior staff got to go. We can't get paid for overtime so it builds up till you have to take a day off in lieu of pay - at which point they get a temp in for a day so you have to clear your desk or lose all your stationery!
I have never been so exhausted in my life, even operational 12 hour shifts are better cos its adrenalin fuelled, this is just head down adding up figures.

Queensland is getting reconstructed but we aren't half putting some hours and some effort behind the scenes into doing it.

My part of the team is also responsible for putting out the activation notices about Federal and State disaster relief whenever there is a major event. Hours of work on each one, we have had at least seven this year, and thats before the one launched today which could possibly become nearly as widespread as the flooding/TC Tasha last year.
http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/St...medium=twitter
Sounds hectic.

(I have some idea which is why I suggested the nature of the job meant that
it wasn't all Friday afternoon boozing!)

Still, I suppose some people thrive in that sector and find it interesting and it will look good on your CV. I know what you mean about 12 hour shifts providing adrenalin. The other side of the coin is that some government work can be not challenging enough.

I haven't been paid overtime in 15 odd years - but then as professionals I suppose we get other perks.

IsGraham: as for London and Melbourne 'swanning' I tend not to booze away like before because I have a family now and want to get back to them.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me that comment would not go down well at work; you have absolutely no idea. We're there till 5-6-7pm most nights, 12 hour days are common. This year so far I've been doing 6 day weeks.
I would say its time to find another job, theres lots out there. In any of my jobs in aus I never had to work overtime or do a long 12 hour day, or a 10 or 11 hour one either. Even though I work in IT where systems can go down and need urgent maintenance I found people would be out the door at 5pm sharp regardless of what work still needed to be done. It was a very different attitude to the stay late and work weekends that I was used to in the UK.

If your having to work to much, find something else. One bad employer doesnt represent a country as a whole I reckon.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
If your having to work to much, find something else. One bad employer doesnt represent a country as a whole I reckon.
I still don't see any general difference between the countries...and as a consultant who sits on client sites I've always had the benefit of being able to see plenty of other people's workplaces as well as my own. For me it's always, Aus and UK, been a case of effort as required - that can mean leaving at 1630 or leaving at 2000 or later.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dave99
I would say its time to find another job, theres lots out there. In any of my jobs in aus I never had to work overtime or do a long 12 hour day, or a 10 or 11 hour one either. Even though I work in IT where systems can go down and need urgent maintenance I found people would be out the door at 5pm sharp regardless of what work still needed to be done. It was a very different attitude to the stay late and work weekends that I was used to in the UK.

Originally Posted by bcworld
I still don't see any general difference between the countries...and as a consultant who sits on client sites I've always had the benefit of being able to see plenty of other people's workplaces as well as my own. For me it's always, Aus and UK, been a case of effort as required - that can mean leaving at 1630 or leaving at 2000 or later.
Have to agree - but I reckon Pollyanna's got a good job there (apart from the overtime!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.