Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus banks - what's the problem ?

Aus banks - what's the problem ?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:08 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by sjn2003
A cautionary tale for all of us. You obviously know your tatties from your onions when it comes to this banking lark.

Is it just complex stuff that they cannot handle? Or, are the Oz banks to be avoided at all costs?

By the way, you are our no. 1 nomination to open the Expats Bank Sounds like it could be something you could knock together in your lunch hour !!
Perhaps we should have a vote on this ??

Jill:lecture:

Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Perhaps we should have a vote on this ??

Jill:lecture:
Only got one nomination though, so its a bit of a shoe-in !!!

Anyway, I still haven't go to the bottom of what's wrong with Aussie banks, or have I just imagined it, and they are really no worse than UK banks and so I have nothing to fear !!?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:12 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Only got one nomination though, so its a bit of a shoe-in !!!

Anyway, I still haven't go to the bottom of what's wrong with Aussie banks, or have I just imagined it, and they are really no worse than UK banks and so I have nothing to fear !!?
Transaction fees.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
Transaction fees.
Does that go for all banks that operate in Oz, including on t'internet ??
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Does that go for all banks that operate in Oz, including on t'internet ??
To varying extents yes. You can pay a monthly fee to give you extra transactions or use a credit card. Most credit cards have an annual.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
To varying extents yes. You can pay a monthly fee to give you extra transactions or use a credit card. Most credit cards have an annual.

Cheers for that. Bit of a bummer - I hate giving banks my money for the privilege of having my money, if you know what I mean !

Looks like I will be buying a spade and going for the hole in the garden instead of the hole in the wall !!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:27 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by Herman
My main issues with Aussie banks were the charges . . . . I closed our account immediately and moved to HSBC.
Have to say HSBC On-line Account is the best, I haven't paid any charges in 3 year as you get a limited number of ATM transactions then I think everything else is free but check out the website (don't quote me)

www.hsbc.com.au

Great interest rate, B Pay, cheque book, la de da. More branches opening across Oz. You can deposit cheques/cash at the Post Office. Very efficient when I have spoke to Customer Services.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Merlot
Have to say HSBC On-line Account is the best, I haven't paid any charges in 3 year as you get a limited number of ATM transactions then I think everything else is free but check out the website (don't quote me)

www.hsbc.com.au

Great interest rate, B Pay, cheque book, la de da. More branches opening across Oz. You can deposit cheques/cash at the Post Office. Very efficient when I have spoke to Customer Services.
Looks like the general favourite on this site. Think I will go with them, they have never given me any grief in the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I don’t think that banks in Oz are particularly worse than those in the UK. What they lack is a decent Internet only bank like smile or First Direct in the UK. Best to try to avoid transacting any business with them in the branches as the chimp that serves you will be more interested in selling you additional banking products than dealing with your transaction.

I don’t consider the fees a big deal. Everyone tends to lob everything on the credit card so that you accumulate loyalty points, maximise the balance on your account if it a mortgage offset account and minimise transaction charges.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:40 pm
ABCDiamond

www.hsbc.com.au

I agree with HSBC also. The only problem is that they don't have many branches, but as has been mentioned, who needs the branches anyway ?
They have mobile lenders to visit you, if you need a mortgage, and they seem more than willing to keep coming out to you if required.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:48 pm
Merlot

Default Commission

I reckon us expats converted to HSBC here should ask for commission for selling the benefits to our UK counterparts arriving in Oz!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Commission

I reckon us expats converted to HSBC here should ask for commission for selling the benefits to our UK counterparts arriving in Oz!
How about someone approaching HSBC to get a special package deal for expats ?

Maybe ask for double the normal FREE ATM transactions etc ?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:12 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
How about someone approaching HSBC to get a special package deal for expats ?

Maybe ask for double the normal FREE ATM transactions etc ?
Nice thought.

Moving away from banking, is that Roast Beef in your piccy?

My mouth is watering!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Nice thought.

Moving away from banking, is that Roast Beef in your piccy?

My mouth is watering!
It's better than Roast Beef !!
Its Chateaubriand.

I'm still trying to find somewhere out here that cooks it though

Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to vote for HSBC again here. No probs so far with them. Internet account seems bob on. Bpay easdy to do. Only thing is you can't use your eftpos card at Caltex gas stations.

Claire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.