Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus Banks and Credit Cards

Aus Banks and Credit Cards

Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:20 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aus Banks and Credit Cards

Having been to the expo at the weekend, and questioned the banks represented, it seems they are even more a bunch of ***** than their UK counterparts.

In particular I can foresee an issue over credit cards. With no credit history bought across it seems hard work to get a card, particularly since when you you first arrive you have no job. From a friend in Aus it seems as if credit cards are as vital as they are in the UK - which makes it doubly difficult to do without. I don't want to be using the UK card all the time either. Any suggestions?

Also the banks seem to lack in the customer service front - and monthly fees don't help. Looking around HSBC in Aus seem to be closest to acceptable in their makeup - are there any obvious problems or issues, in setting up the account or operating it in Aus? Anyone gone that route with a First Direct account?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:34 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus Banks and Credit Cards

Originally Posted by GarryP
Having been to the expo at the weekend, and questioned the banks represented, it seems they are even more a bunch of ***** than their UK counterparts.
Too true, too true!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

I don't think I can post a link, as I'm a newb. But Amex will allow you to open a credit card in Australia based on your UK credit history (you need to have an account in the UK as well). Google American Express Global Card Transfer - I can PM the link if you want it, my post disappears if I try and add it here.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:39 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

In particular I can foresee an issue over credit cards. With no credit history bought across it seems hard work to get a card, particularly since when you you first arrive you have no job. From a friend in Aus it seems as if credit cards are as vital as they are in the UK - which makes it doubly difficult to do without. I don't want to be using the UK card all the time either. Any suggestions?

Also the banks seem to lack in the customer service front - and monthly fees don't help. Looking around HSBC in Aus seem to be closest to acceptable in their makeup - are there any obvious problems or issues, in setting up the account or operating it in Aus? Anyone gone that route with a First Direct account?
Err, Reserve Bank of Australia notes and Australian Mint coins???
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:19 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I opened a current account with Westpac over the net before I arrived in Oz - then two days after I got there I went to see a migrant banking advisor who sorted out my cards which were delivered to my local branch a week later, approved me for a credit card there and then, which also was delivered to the most convenient branch location for collection, and gave me lots of good advice about getting a mortgage when I was ready, how to make sure I got a good deal with my superannuation and contact details for free advice consultations on just about every financial topic I could think of. And all this without a confirmed residential address or any proof of income. Cant grumble at that.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

You may find you'll be given a card ... but with a very low credit limit.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:16 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
You may find you'll be given a card ... but with a very low credit limit.
Yep. We are with Westpac. Our combined earnings are nearly $200k. Yet the biggest limit Westpac will allow us is $4000!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

In particular I can foresee an issue over credit cards. With no credit history bought across it seems hard work to get a card, particularly since when you you first arrive you have no job.
The lack of credit history will not make an iota of difference to whether you get a credit card. Having no credit history is just as good as having a fantastic credit history (ie. there's nothing bad listed). You will not be disadvantaged by your lack of a local Credit history. It does not work the same way here that it does in the UK.

The main issue that would affect you getting a credit card is a lack of a job. However if you bring over a reasonable sum of money, the bank you deposit this cash with will probably give you a card. Most new arrivals seem to get credit cards pretty easily.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:08 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Yep. We are with Westpac. Our combined earnings are nearly $200k. Yet the biggest limit Westpac will allow us is $4000!
That's shocking! When we arrived we just got the debit/mastercard deal because we didn't have a history. That suited us just fine.

About 6 months later we applied for a credit card. Westpac gave us a $30,000 limit (way more than we wanted or needed) on one income that at the time was less than you stated in your post. We applied for a Altitude Gold card.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:10 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
That's shocking! When we arrived we just got the debit/mastercard deal because we didn't have a history. That suited us just fine.

About 6 months later we applied for a credit card. Westpac gave us a $30,000 limit (way more than we wanted or needed) on one income that at the time was less than you stated in your post. We applied for a Altitude Gold card.
Bloody Westpac!

I was on holiday last week and need some extra funds and asked them for an increase and they wouldn't do it!! I am seriously thinking of taking my business elsewhere.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

It's obvioulsy only the low income earners that get the high credit limits then

You have 3 times our income, we have 4 times your card limits

Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:16 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Bloody Westpac!

I was on holiday last week and need some extra funds and asked them for an increase and they wouldn't do it!! I am seriously thinking of taking my business elsewhere.
We got our cards in about Febuary 2008 before the whole GFC set in. Did you get your card fairly recently? Perhaps the banks have been a lot stricter in their limits lately.

I would just call the bank again and tell them if you don't get a higher limit you're going elsewhere. That credit limit is ridiculous for someone on your incomes.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Many of the banks are now doing no monthly fee accounts.

Almost anyone can get a Visa or Mastercard Debit card, so you have card use with your own money. A "credit" card is not vital, unless you "need" credit.

With HSBC, it is cheaper to set it up direct in Australia, once you arrive, as the HSBC UK now charge £100 to set it up for you from there.

Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I would just call the bank again and tell them if you don't get a higher limit you're going elsewhere. That credit limit is ridiculous for someone on your incomes.
Credit limits are usually worked out based on what you can afford to repay.

Someone on a high income might also have six kids and high outgoings leaving very little spare cash to service a credit card.

Someone on a low income might have low outgoings and therefore have more spare cash.

You can't automatically assume that the higher the income, the greater the credit limit. It's totally down to the applicant's individual situation.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by NickyC
Credit limits are usually worked out based on what you can afford to repay.

Someone on a high income might also have six kids and high outgoings leaving very little spare cash to service a credit card.

Someone on a low income might have low outgoings and therefore have more spare cash.

You can't automatically assume that the higher the income, the greater the credit limit. It's totally down to the applicant's individual situation.
His assumptions were correct for me. I have no Kids, no mortgage, low outgoings, lots of spare cash. So why should I have such a low limit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.