Auckland

Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

debtay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auckland

Hi
My husband is looking at a possible job in the Westhaven area of Auckland. I was wondering if anyone could recommend good housing and schools that would be within a commutable distance of that location.

Also, what's Westhaven like?!

thanks
Deb
Old Feb 19th 2004, 2:12 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auckland

Originally posted by debtay
Hi
My husband is looking at a possible job in the Westhaven area of Auckland. I was wondering if anyone could recommend good housing and schools that would be within a commutable distance of that location.

thanks
Deb
unless there's another westhaven - it is basically at the foot of the harbour bridge (city end) - where Auckland's main marina is. westhaven usually refers to the marina area, but there must be other things there as well (not sure about any housing though).

Ponsonby is a nearby suburb (trendy), otherwise you could nip across the bridge to the north shore - where (if you have money) takapuna and devonport are nice, otherwise further up the shore.

Just some ideas.... it really depends on much you want to spend on property as to which areas to recommend
Old Feb 19th 2004, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'll have a look on the web at Ponsonby, Takapuna and Devonport.

Deb.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter lives in Glenfield, which is almost 'next door' to Takapuna.

Devonport and Takapuna are both good areas but I gather are now quite expensive for property. They are both almost 'townships' in their own right with good shopping facilities.

As long as you don't mind crossing the bridge every day any of the Northshore suburbs would be fine. My daughter commuted to the City Centre for the first 3 yrs and beyond that for the next 3. she said you just get used to it.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

I've had a look around the web and the areas all look lovely, must be great to live so close to the coast. I'll keep you posted on how things go

Deb.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought - they rented a flat ( unit) for 2.5 yrs before buying. Think it might be good idea to be prepared to rent for at least 6 mths - see if you like the area you choose first.

Looked up Westhaven and as jandj said, near Marina. Although it is now 6 yrs back, I am sure it is also the area we went to for ferry to Great Barrier Island and looked fairly commercial to me. I am about to send off a query to my daughter but she may not know a great deal about the local area.

Will post anything useful
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Ambrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auckland

Originally posted by debtay
Hi

thanks
Deb
Westhaven is massive marina nestled between the CBD and the Harbour bidge. It isnt a suburb as such. The nearest suburb to this would be St Marys Bay. Warning: Very expensive area!! Older sytle villas, old orginal area of Auckland. I would look at Birkenhead or Glenfield.

Is your hubby in the marine industry??

Feel free to ask any other questions. I've lived here all my life.

Cheers
Dave
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

North Shore is a great place to live. you're near enough to the city, but out of it. It's got great beaches, bars, restaurants, very good schools, shopping. People say getting over the bridge is difficult in the rush-hour - I whizz past the stationary traffic every morning in the bus - we get bus lanes. It takes me about 35 mins from Browns Bay (further up the Shore) to the City in rush-hour (by bus).
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi to you all, North Shore is looking very interesting at the moment, the beach life would suit me and good state schools for the kids would be a REAL bonus.

Good to know too that there is a fast bus service, makes commuting far more stress free and I fancy the idea of wizzing past all those cars. What is the cost of public transport like?

My 11 year old daughter would be looking to continue her ballet and drama lesson and my son would probably want to rejoin cubs/scouts, does anyone know what the facilities for those are like?

Cheers
Deb.