Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Attitudes to different races

Wikiposts

Attitudes to different races

Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attitudes to different races

Originally Posted by debsy
Better not got to Melbourne then as there are massive turkish communities there
I've got nothing against Turkey, we have Turkish friends, I just don't think they should be in the EU.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've got nothing against Turkey, we have Turkish friends, I just don't think they should be in the EU.
Ever or for now? Their current economy is certainly innappropriate for the EU and and I doubt the attitude to human rights would change unless the Kurdish conflict ends.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Ever or for now? Their current economy is certainly innappropriate for the EU and and I doubt the attitude to human rights would change unless the Kurdish conflict ends.
Not ever, but I don't think they would be ready for a long time. The army runs the country & the economic & cultural gap is too vast at the moment. The track record of muslim & non-muslim nations trying to co-exist is not good. The other point is are they really European or are they Asian?. I think they lean towards the latter.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not ever, but I don't think they would be ready for a long time. The army runs the country & the economic & cultural gap is too vast at the moment. The track record of muslim & non-muslim nations trying to co-exist is not good. The other point is are they really European or are they Asian?. I think they lean towards the latter.
Anecdotally I have found Turkey split between the 2 and does not know where it is going. The power of the army is scary and they are part of the western side of the split.

Economically Greece has been just as crackpot and only made it into the Euro through some bodgy accounting.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Anecdotally I have found Turkey split between the 2 and does not know where it is going. The power of the army is scary and they are part of the western side of the split.

Economically Greece has been just as crackpot and only made it into the Euro through some bodgy accounting.

Does anybody here know much about living in Turkey?? Just that one of the Poms we have here at the moment is talking about moving there, mainly due to the cheap property, I always thought it was a volatile place a bit of an odd place for a rather loud brummy woman? The other option shes talking is Antigua again cheap property, now call me sensible but cheap usually has a reason? or am I missing something and lots of people go to these places these days, dont think it a stupid question after 5 years in OZ I honestly have no idea
Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Does anybody here know much about living in Turkey?? Just that one of the Poms we have here at the moment is talking about moving there, mainly due to the cheap property, I always thought it was a volatile place a bit of an odd place for a rather loud brummy woman? The other option shes talking is Antigua again cheap property, now call me sensible but cheap usually has a reason? or am I missing something and lots of people go to these places these days, dont think it a stupid question after 5 years in OZ I honestly have no idea
There are so many different regions of Turkey, it can't all be categorised together, and it's also a pretty popular holiday destination, especially if you like Golf.

National Golf Club, Antalya, Turkey

Doesn't look like the stereotype of Turkey does it

Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:47 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

No doubt everything is changing, and from a global perspective it appears that the pace of “changing� is quickening, social and political ideas and institutions are under threat due to the change. The international landscape is changing it presents new political, cultural and moral dilemmas and opportunities, maybe it appears that we are living in an uncertain world, especially when everyone has a different view to what is happening due to immigration relating to Uk or Australia in these cases. We are changing, we are evolving it was always like this from hundreds of years ago and it will continue to be like this whether people like or not, it can be controlled but not stopped.

Don’t you love science
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:03 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What about Iraq, lots of sunshine and the property is cheap there also.
Well if you can find a house thats still standing.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 4th 2005 at 9:11 pm.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Turkey is hosting this season's Champions league final I believe - The country is continuing its integration with the rest of Europe. I reckon it will be an EU member in as few as 5 years.

Midnight express was on Sky the other day - I think they have come a long way since then !!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Turkey is hosting this season's Champions league final I believe - The country is continuing its integration with the rest of Europe. I reckon it will be an EU member in as few as 5 years.

Midnight express was on Sky the other day - I think they have come a long way since then !!
You are right Jimbo

Jad & Rich please feel free to fire away with any questions - you can pm me if you want. There are currently loads of brtis moving to Turkey as the property is relatively cheap there at the moment.

I was living in Turkey for a long time before we came to Australia. I love Turkey, the people and its Yummy food and I can help with info about places to live etc.

Abc - there are some really lovely places in Turkey - I would really reccommend a visit.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:15 am

You are right Jimbo
Abc - there are some really lovely places in Turkey - I would really reccommend a visit.
I agree. I've only been to Istanbul and Cappadocia and was amazed.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:31 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Emigrating to escape immigration! LOL, LOL, LOL! If I read nothing else on this forum, I'll die a happy woman - that kind of 'logic' is priceless.

GG
Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I agree. I've only been to Istanbul and Cappadocia and was amazed.
Yeh BP I love Istanbul. My favourite place is the Ciragan Palace in Istanbul.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:06 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Yeh BP I love Istanbul. My favourite place is the Ciragan Palace in Istanbul.
Fab hotel with fab views. I spent a lovely week there once.... thank you for reminding me of it!

Anya.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:02 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

OK... Time to lighten things up a bit here!

Well here's my attitude to different races.......

I absolutely love Formula 1 Grand Prix! (Go DC!)
Not too keen on the 10'000 metres steeplechase.. (too long & boring).
Love the Tour De France, (as I'm a bit of a road cyclist myself)..
Mens Olympic 100 metres.. Hmmmm... Most of the participants have taken more drugs than The Rolling Stones.
Swimming... What can I say... My adoptive country are the best in the world at it!
Marathon..... Pisses me off, cos I can't run to the end of me bed!
Triathlon.... See above!
Horse racing... I was at the Perth Cup on New Years Day. Bought a ridiculously expensive ticket, which entitled me to get furiously hammered on free beer & Champagne. , so I never saw anything remotely resembling a horse all day...

Last edited by Scossie; Jan 5th 2005 at 9:35 pm.