Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Attitudes to different races

Attitudes to different races

Old Dec 15th 2004, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attitudes to different races

Out of a matter of interest, I wondered how many people agreed or thought along the same lines as this poster.

I personally realise that the UK has a problem with criminal gangs importing illegal immigrants and that immigration and the asylum system do need improving, vastly.

I do however find these kind of rants saddeningly bigoted, racist and uninformed in general. If this is the typical British migrants outlook to different races, then I believe it reflects badly on our image abroad. More to the point moving to a country such as Australia that has been founded on migrants seems a futile gesture if you do not like mixing with different races.

The biggest irony of all is that as a Brit, you will be the migrant in OZ. The resisdent Aussies may well see you as the threat to their jobs, the one who does not apapt well enough for their tastes. My guess is that British bigots do not see themselves a migrants, possibly due to being white and the old colonial ties the UK and OZ had. I personaly believe people with such ideas will be on a sticky wicket in Oz and it would be poetic justice for these types of migrants to suffer a taste of their own venomous rants.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...07&postcount=4
Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:52 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Attitudes to different races

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Out of a matter of interest, I wondered how many people agreed or thought along the same lines as this poster.

I personally realise that the UK has a problem with criminal gangs importing illegal immigrants and that immigration and the asylum system do need improving, vastly.

I do however find these kind of rants saddeningly bigoted, racist and uninformed in general. If this is the typical British migrants outlook to different races, then I believe it reflects badly on our image abroad. More to the point moving to a country such as Australia that has been founded on migrants seems a futile gesture if you do not like mixing with different races.

The biggest irony of all is that as a Brit, you will be the migrant in OZ. The resisdent Aussies may well see you as the threat to their jobs, the one who does not apapt well enough for their tastes. My guess is that British bigots do not see themselves a migrants, possibly due to being white and the old colonial ties the UK and OZ had. I personaly believe people with such ideas will be on a sticky wicket in Oz and it would be poetic justice for these types of migrants to suffer a taste of their own venomous rants.

If you look at the statistics, British migrants have the lowest unemployment rate of any migrant group in OZ. There are'nt many skinheads or gangs of racists going around beating up British migrants.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 15th 2004 at 8:56 pm.

Old Dec 16th 2004, 12:38 am
ABCDiamond

If a person has feelings like that, and they stay in the UK, they MAY feel that they can do nothing about it and feel embittered, that their country is changing from what it used to be.

However, if they move to Australia (or any other country), it allows them a chance to alter their own views and perceptions, and accept the fact that they will change to adapt into the new culture that they have chosen to move to.

It is much easier for a person to change and accept differences, if they are the ones that have chosen to move themselves, than it would be, if they were to be forced to accept change in their own home.

Old Dec 16th 2004, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all
Cool Re: Attitudes to different races

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If a person has feelings like that, and they stay in the UK, they MAY feel that they can do nothing about it and feel embittered, that their country is changing from what it used to be.

However, if they move to Australia (or any other country), it allows them a chance to alter their own views and perceptions, and accept the fact that they will change to adapt into the new culture that they have chosen to move to.It is much easier for a person to change and accept differences, if they are the ones that have chosen to move themselves, than it would be, if they were to be forced to accept change in their own home.
Not necessarily - i reckon that there's a lot of racists in this country and they may just have their bigoted views enforced right here in oz.

I would love for them to move to parramatta where there's a large proportion of Middle Eastern and other cultures living. I live around this area and it is cool cos it makes me feel at home to be amongst so many different cultures (i used to live in Bham then London!)
Old Dec 16th 2004, 3:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with immigration or multiculturalism. The difference is in Australia migration is controlled and in the UK it's not.

That's not to say there aren't loads of illegals in Oz, it's just a lot harder to exist - to work, see a doctor or get an education.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:39 am
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

still stiring the same old shit i see eatstatic
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

In England I was a bigot in a sea of multiculturfism but since I came too Oz I'm surrounded by English bigots, Welsh bigots, Scotish bigots, Irish bigots, Canadian bigots, American bigots, South African bigots, New Zealand bigots and most importantly Australian bigots.

I have found the perfect place to live.

Keel
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:41 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
In England I was a bigot in a sea of multiculturfism but since I came too Oz I'm surrounded by English bigots, Welsh bigots, Scotish bigots, Irish bigots, Canadian bigots, American bigots, South African bigots, New Zealand bigots and most importantly Australian bigots.

I have found the perfect place to live.

Keel
at last somewhere i will fit in
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:44 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wombat42
If you look at the statistics, British migrants have the lowest unemployment rate of any migrant group in OZ. There are'nt many skinheads or gangs of racists going around beating up British migrants.
plus not all skinheads are racists anyway
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
plus not all skinheads are racists anyway
By the way I'm a skinhead.

Keel
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This guy is ranting a bit, but I agree with him about Turkey though.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Nothing wrong with immigration or multiculturalism. The difference is in Australia migration is controlled and in the UK it's not.

That's not to say there aren't loads of illegals in Oz, it's just a lot harder to exist - to work, see a doctor or get an education.
Agree. Michael Howard proposed an annual immigration/asylum quota & was shouted down as being racist. Australia applies the same policy (successfully in my opinion) & everyone is cool with it. Makes you think.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:03 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Yes,

I believe the Uk needs an immigration programme like the Australian one, sure the country is changing, but it's not only the Uk. The more European countries join the EU the easier it will be to move around for everyone not just to the Uk, i know this is a Uk based website for brits expats but "some" keeps mentioning the "scum of europe" to other European citizens maybe those with such remarks should look themselves in the mirror to try and find out the differences between them and any other citizen from Europe, what makes them so superior and so good. All that's needed is a controlled immigration programme to see who comes in, but since the Uk is part of the EU an immigration programme to control European people would be useless, it would only affect those outside the European Union. If a British person has the right to go to Spain for the sunshine and beer and work of course, im sure a Spanish ( just an example ) would have the right to go an Work in the Uk.

As for racism, unfortunately it is everywhere and it is a hard subject to tackle and i doubt it can be eliminated, someone, somewhere is bound to have a racist view, it's the reallity of todays world.

I forgot to mention, im 22, born in Portugal ( Madeira Island ) and living for the past 10 years in the Uk and I have never had a racist remark thrown at me since I have been here, by the way there’s heaps of English retirees on the Island.

But this is a subject that we have to learn to disagree, everyone has a different opinion.

Last edited by Boomerang; Jan 4th 2005 at 1:20 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This guy is ranting a bit, but I agree with him about Turkey though.
Better not got to Melbourne then as there are massive turkish communities there
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:51 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Superior
Everyone knows that pommie bashing is a hobby in Australia. Being white helps but 'the old colonial ties' does NOTHING to help a pom here.
Those with an inferiority complex and a chip on their shoulder tend to pom bash. Would they consider themselves superior?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.