Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Attacking Bird ID Please...

Attacking Bird ID Please...

Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Attacking Bird ID Please...

We were driving around looking at houses when we saw this light grey (I think) bird with a colorful head running accross the road in front of us (not flying).

We laughed and thought it looked really funny. We then noticed a girl walking on on the other side of the road to it and when she saw the bird she immediately turned around and ran in the opposite direction.

It then saw the girl and went for her! Very scary.

It wasn't a magpie for any other bird I have found on Google so far.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/suburbs/magpie-alert

Any ideas please?

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 6th 2010 at 7:19 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attacking Bird ID Please...

Probably a plover http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...ed=0CCsQ9QEwBQ. They're little buggers for attacking kids.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Probably a plover...

They're little buggers for attacking kids.
Yeah it could be that. I'll ask the family to confirm when they are awake.

Thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
We were driving around looking at houses when we saw this light grey (I think) bird with a colorful head running accross the road in front of us (not flying).

We laughed and thought it looked really funny. We then noticed a girl walking on on the other side of the road to it and when she saw the bird she immediately turned around and ran in the opposite direction.

It then saw the girl and went for her! Very scary.

It wasn't a magpie for any other bird I have found on Google so far.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/suburbs/magpie-alert

Any ideas please?
Sounds like a Bush (Plain) Turkey to me
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:54 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - probably a plover. They are very territorial as they lay their eggs on the ground. They are also known as Masked Lapwings which helps to explain the odd head gear effect!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by binbird
Yep - probably a plover. They are very territorial as they lay their eggs on the ground. They are also known as Masked Lapwings which helps to explain the odd head gear effect!
Yep thanks. It was one of those. The wife and kids confirm that's what it was.

Yeah it must have been attacking to protect it's eggs.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:04 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Heres a Plover: http://tagr.com.au/multimedia/photos...rs/plover4.jpg
They are fierce and tend to run at you, or fly directly at you at chest height which can be intimidating.

By comparison, Magpies: http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/__data/...Magpie_620.jpg tend to swoop from high up and behind and tap you on the head as they fly past.

Scrub Turkeys: http://cassidys.ch/images/Scrub_Turkey.JPG do run around the streets in a manic unpredictable way, but tend not to be threatening in any way whatsoever (much like rural UK pheasants).

From the OPs description Plovers seem like the most likely offender.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:06 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yep thanks. It was one of those. The wife and kids confirm that's what it was.

Yeah it must have been attacking to protect it's eggs.
When I lived in Qld, I worked in the site office for the Bruce Highway Upgrade at Caboolture. A pair of plovers were nesting in the grass outside the southbound BP services. It was a nightmare for the lads, lol - they couldn't go anywhere near it or they were attacked.

Work had to be suspended on that section until egg had hatched and Plovers and baby had moved on.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We have a pair just down the raod, and not only are they aggressive, they are very noist too, even in the middle of the night.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Heres a Plover: http://tagr.com.au/multimedia/photos...rs/plover4.jpg
They are fierce and tend to run at you, or fly directly at you at chest height which can be intimidating.

By comparison, Magpies: http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/__data/...Magpie_620.jpg tend to swoop from high up and behind and tap you on the head as they fly past.

Scrub Turkeys: http://cassidys.ch/images/Scrub_Turkey.JPG do run around the streets in a manic unpredictable way, but tend not to be threatening in any way whatsoever (much like rural UK pheasants).

From the OPs description Plovers seem like the most likely offender.
Defo the plovers!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dreamy
When I lived in Qld, I worked in the site office for the Bruce Highway Upgrade at Caboolture. A pair of plovers were nesting in the grass outside the southbound BP services. It was a nightmare for the lads, lol - they couldn't go anywhere near it or they were attacked.

Work had to be suspended on that section until egg had hatched and Plovers and baby had moved on.
They sure are aggressive!

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
We have a pair just down the raod, and not only are they aggressive, they are very noist too, even in the middle of the night.
Hope I don't live near any then.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

Nothing a good baseball bat wouldn't fix.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 2:28 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Nothing a good baseball bat wouldn't fix.
If a baseball bat had been introduced into the equation before the enviro boys became involved, they might have got away with it..
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

james1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant future

I got "attacked" by them at Raby Bay park. They had chicks that I never noticed and walked past them and they got quite loud.

Had to shout to tell the kids to stop and turn round.

Couple of days later my wife was speaking to a local and she said they have been attacking dogs, kids and even going for cars.

They did have about 6 chicks but they was down to 3 when i saw them and the lady said that they have lost a few due to standing up to cars
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, plovers are annoying little gits. I have not heard of them actually injuring anybody though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.