Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ATO - 2016 TAX RETURN AMENDMENT

ATO - 2016 TAX RETURN AMENDMENT

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute
Default ATO - 2016 TAX RETURN AMENDMENT

Hi.

I am currently in the UK; and I have been in contact with the ATO, as I have just received a letter from the ATO, outlining that I might need to amend my tax year ending 2016 tax return to include some foreign income. When I submitted my return at the end of 2016, I genuinely forgot about a small amount of savings interest received here in the UK. Since then the Nationwide B/S or the HMRC have been in contact with the ATO, so they have sent me a letter here to the UK.
Been online, but they will not allow me to amend my 2016 tax return in my YouGov/ATO account as the time has elapsed. I cannot find another way to pay this small amount of tax owing ($100). I have tried to call the ATO but the wait time is outrageous, costing me a lot on my mobile phone. Any ideas how to pay this $100?

The letter states that if they audit my account in the future, they may request more information, and I may receive a penalty. I have until the end of April to amend my 2016 tax return.

Anybody had similar problems?

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATO - 2016 TAX RETURN AMENDMENT

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Payin...TO/How-to-pay/
Old Apr 21st 2019, 8:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/corre...me-tax-return/

Hope this helps.
Best regards.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sign View Post
Hi.

I am currently in the UK; and I have been in contact with the ATO, as I have just received a letter from the ATO, outlining that I might need to amend my tax year ending 2016 tax return to include some foreign income. When I submitted my return at the end of 2016, I genuinely forgot about a small amount of savings interest received here in the UK. Since then the Nationwide B/S or the HMRC have been in contact with the ATO, so they have sent me a letter here to the UK.
Been online, but they will not allow me to amend my 2016 tax return in my YouGov/ATO account as the time has elapsed. I cannot find another way to pay this small amount of tax owing ($100). I have tried to call the ATO but the wait time is outrageous, costing me a lot on my mobile phone. Any ideas how to pay this $100?

The letter states that if they audit my account in the future, they may request more information, and I may receive a penalty. I have until the end of April to amend my 2016 tax return.

Anybody had similar problems?

Thanks
I guess you gave them you tax file number. Otherwise how would the ATO have known?
Old Apr 21st 2019, 10:38 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reasonable View Post
I guess you gave them you tax file number. Otherwise how would the ATO have known?
The UK banks are asking foreign residents for details of their local tax identification number - it is possible the OP's details have been passed to the ATO by the banks in the UK.

Best regards.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Most all countries are now required to submit banking details to ATO as per anti money laundering rules now in operation.
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Guys.....

I cant amend 2016 tax year in my portal, the time has expired. Making a payment online using my PRN; well it will just sit in my account, as my account shows no amounts owing.
To get the money applied to that specific year, I guess only a phone call will work?

No I never gave Nationwide my TFN, I had an Australian address registered while living in Oz. The Nationwide put two and two together I guess.

My mistake was I thought the tax had been taken off at source by the Nationwide, hence I did not need to include the £300 in interest gained in the UK while living in Oz. The tax was not taken, hence what I owe to the ATO. But it needed to be included anyway. My mistake, we all make them.