Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ATM/EFTPOS in Aus

ATM/EFTPOS in Aus

Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default ATM/EFTPOS in Aus

I got my ATM/EFTPOS card through for my new Australian bank account yesterday. It took me ages of looking at the card to realise it looks weird because it's not a chip and pin card. How does EFTPOS work in Australia - is it like the "old" way here in the UK where they swipe your card and you sign the slip?

Also, I have a cheque book for my account. Does this card act as a cheque guarantee card? It say Maestro, Cirrus and EFTPOS on the back, but no mention of a cheque guarantee limit.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATM/EFTPOS in Aus

You swipe your card and enter your pin number. You don't use the card with the cheque book but you can chose which account you want to use with the card as you'll be asked if you're using Savings or Cheque account. Personally I wouldn't use a cheque book. You get charged for every cheque you use. If I need a cheque, I get a bank one (normally a large amount of over $1,000) and get charged $5 for it. Works out a lot cheaper.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:17 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I got my ATM/EFTPOS card through for my new Australian bank account yesterday. It took me ages of looking at the card to realise it looks weird because it's not a chip and pin card. How does EFTPOS work in Australia - is it like the "old" way here in the UK where they swipe your card and you sign the slip?

Also, I have a cheque book for my account. Does this card act as a cheque guarantee card? It say Maestro, Cirrus and EFTPOS on the back, but no mention of a cheque guarantee limit.
Which bank is the card from, as the major banks are now rolling out chip and pin cards to customers as they are renewed?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:18 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You swipe your card and enter your pin number. You don't use the card with the cheque book but you can chose which account you want to use with the card as you'll be asked if you're using Savings or Cheque account. Personally I wouldn't use a cheque book. You get charged for every cheque you use. If I need a cheque, I get a bank one (normally a large amount of over $1,000) and get charged $5 for it. Works out a lot cheaper.
....... and make sure that you can see the flashing lights around the card entrance slot.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I didn't realise that about being charged for writing cheques. Thanks for pointing that out. I never write cheques here in the UK anymore anyway, so I'll continue that pattern.

At the moment we just have a credit card account and one current banking account, but noted about the savings/cheque account option too. Thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Which bank is the card from, as the major banks are now rolling out chip and pin cards to customers as they are renewed?
It's HSBC Premier.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:41 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Good News!!

With an HSBC Premier account, i don't think you get charged for cheques.

Be aware though that accessing your money through an ATM can be expensive in Aus. You can only use Westpak or HSBC free of charge.

ATM abroad is really expensive too!

Ali
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:58 am
ABCDiamond

It's HSBC Premier.
My Australian HSBC card has a Chip and pin.
My Woolworths Credit card also has a Chip and Pin.
So does the ANZ card.

My Westpac card doesn't
My St George card doesn't either

But all of them have pin numbers, and can be swiped and a pin number entered.

Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alipally
Good News!!

With an HSBC Premier account, i don't think you get charged for cheques.

Be aware though that accessing your money through an ATM can be expensive in Aus. You can only use Westpak or HSBC free of charge.

ATM abroad is really expensive too!

Ali
That's good then. I think the paperwork said I can use the Post Office free of charge too? I really should read it all properly.

I don't use ATMs abroad as a rule, but I'm keeping a UK bank account for possible trips back to Europe.

How funny that your HSBC card has a chip ABC and mine issued this week doesn't.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

I must have been visiting the wrong shops on my visit in April. Not one place I went to had the chip & pin machines installed, I had to sign everywhere. I was wary of this having not done it here for an age.
I did find the whole savings or cheque thing odd, good though so you dont need to go to the bank to withdraw from savings account.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:40 am
ABCDiamond

That's good then. I think the paperwork said I can use the Post Office free of charge too? I really should read it all properly.

I don't use ATMs abroad as a rule, but I'm keeping a UK bank account for possible trips back to Europe.

How funny that your HSBC card has a chip ABC and mine issued this week doesn't.
Yes, you can use the Post Office, free of charge, and for deposits. With only a few branches in the country, that's what I have always done. And that is for any HSBC account. But make sure you only use HSBC or Westpac ATM's, or you will get charged.

What is even more puzzling is my Woolworths card being Chip and Pin, and that is issued and serviced by .... HSBC.

Keeping a UK bank account, and credit card, is a great idea. I still have mine.

Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Shellyj
I must have been visiting the wrong shops on my visit in April. Not one place I went to had the chip & pin machines installed, I had to sign everywhere. I was wary of this having not done it here for an age.
I did find the whole savings or cheque thing odd, good though so you dont need to go to the bank to withdraw from savings account.
I think that most people in Australia won't even notice much difference with the new chip cards, as they have been using the PIN for many years with the swipe cards.

These newer chip cards also have the swipe facility, so can be used in either machine with the PIN number, or signature if people prefer that.

Old Jun 19th 2009, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My Australian HSBC card has a Chip and pin.
My Woolworths Credit card also has a Chip and Pin.
So does the ANZ card.

My Westpac card doesn't
My St George card doesn't either

But all of them have pin numbers, and can be swiped and a pin number entered.
The replacement card you get when your current one expires should have
C & P.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone use a Nationwide flex account card for ATM cash withdrawals?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a HSBC account and they haven't charged me for using cheques. (Not that I use them very often.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.