Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Asylum Makes a Comeback

Asylum Makes a Comeback

Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Asylum Makes a Comeback

Another thought provoking story, 61% of voters think some or all of the boat people should be allowed into Australia..

Asylum makes a comeback
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:32 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Asylum Makes a Comeback

Originally Posted by jayr
Another thought provoking story, 61% of voters think some or all of the boat people should be allowed into Australia..

Asylum makes a comeback
Those who come without proof - make 'em build their own gaols, water and food supplies and pay for proof or deportation with their labour or wages.

Those with proof - set them to work - like the WWII refos on the Snowy Mountain Scheme.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:46 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Those who come without proof - make 'em build their own gaols, water and food supplies and pay for proof or deportation with their labour or wages.

Those with proof - set them to work - like the WWII refos on the Snowy Mountain Scheme.

Well I'm glad that I've never been in a situation where I had to think "Oh, I must remember my passport before fleeing this country and risking my life to get safe harbour elsewhere"
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:57 am
Banned

Well I'm glad that I've never been in a situation where I had to think "Oh, I must remember my passport before fleeing this country and risking my life to get safe harbour elsewhere"
.. after passing through or by several other neutral countries where the UNHCR is active and remembering to grab thousands of dinero to pay the snake heads.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on, you've not got it quite right, it's "Oh, I must remember my passport berore paying a people smuggler loads of money, probably borrowed from my family, to take me to the other side of the world, via plenty of other countries where I could have claimed assylum and would have been safe"

UN Refugee program, fine.
Paying people smugglers = economic migration, not fine.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

.. after passing through or by several other neutral countries where the UNHCR is active and remembering to grab thousands of dinero to pay the snake heads.
If you were a refo what would you do to maximise your hopes for your yourself and your family?
Paying for people smugglers does not = economic migration. Paying for people smugglers = desperation.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bondipom
If you were a refo what would you do to maximise your hopes for your yourself and your family?
Paying for people smugglers does not = economic migration. Paying for people smugglers = desperation.
If I knew I had no legal claim, I'd weigh my chances and aim for the the choicest spot.

Boulder-dash. UNHCR in Indonesia.

To UNHCR - Afghan Refugees - Mataram Lombok Indonesia
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:54 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Asylum Makes a Comeback

.. after passing through or by several other neutral countries
The rule on first neutral country is obviously wrong in ethics.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:57 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by The Don
The rule on first neutral country is obviously wrong in ethics.

Don, please expand
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:10 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Asylum Makes a Comeback

Don, please expand
OK I probably need to check the exact rule but it goes something along the lines that refugees should claim asylum at the first country they physically get to where they won't suffer persecution.

Ie if travelling overland from (say) Iraq, you have to cross a lot of countries before you get to UK - officially the UK could turn the refugees around (eg back to France) because the rule has not been observed. (The UK doesn't apply the letter of the law.)

Australia: it takes a lot of determination to get that far, but most claiming refugee status will not have (say) sailed without landfall between Afghanistan and Darwin, ie they should theoretically have claimed asylum elsewhere first when they crossed a neutral country.

In ethics I think this rule is plain wrong partly because most rich countries, being located where they are, could easily shirk their moral responsibility to accept refugees. The rule is interpreted on a political whim. It also leads to some countries being seen as a soft touch, therefore meaning they attract a disproportionate number of refugees compared to a 'hard' place like Australia.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see the general approach hasn't evolved after 200 years
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

On the refugee front, it's interesting to compare UK, Oz and Canada - for each refugee, how many non-refugees in each country:

UK ~1:330 (ie one refugee per 330 non-refugees in the UK pop'n) - and UK has one of the lowest intakes in Europe - contrary to what the Daily Mail claims

Canada ~1:400

and yes, you guessed it, in the land of the 'fair go' it's one of the lowest: 1:800* (*from Refugee Council of Oz)

And I thought that 'heaven' had its doors open to everyone...
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Good to see the general approach hasn't evolved after 200 years
Port Arthur needs restoration.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:58 am
Banned

On the refugee front, it's interesting to compare UK, Oz and Canada - for each refugee, how many non-refugees in each country:

UK ~1:330 (ie one refugee per 330 non-refugees in the UK pop'n) - and UK has one of the lowest intakes in Europe - contrary to what the Daily Mail claims

and yes, you guessed it, in the land of the 'fair go' it's one of the lowest: 1:800* (*from Refugee Council of Oz)

Let you out.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:07 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

You thought wrong. Australia has never had its doors open to everyone.

Though, in saying so, you might want to view Australia's refugee intake in the 70's and the 80's. It was quite high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.