Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ASTHMA in QUEENSLAND

ASTHMA in QUEENSLAND

Old Dec 28th 2005, 2:40 am
Just Joined

sduffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ASTHMA in QUEENSLAND

I wonder if anyone living in Queensland who has asthma could advise if it has been better or worse than when you lived in the uk.

I am currently in Adelaide and have found it much worse.I came here thinking the humidity in Queensland would be bad for my asthma.All the trees and plants in Adelaide seem to be making it worse.

Any views appreciated.

Thanks Sue
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:53 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: ASTHMA in QUEENSLAND

Some statistics for you

Proportion of general practice encounters for asthma, by state and territory, children aged 0 to 18 years, Australia, April 2001 to March 2004

4.85% Queensland
4.86% Western Australia
4.92% New South Wales
5.07% Australian Capital Territory
5.58% Tasmania
5.90% Victoria
6.21% South Australia

5.18% Australia in TOTAL - http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/.../aia05-x01.pdf

It appears that QLD has the lowest incidence, and SA has the highest.

Note:
The prevalence of asthma in Australia is among the highest in the world

Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Sue,

Here's a recent thread on the subject........
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=asthma

I'm up in North QLD and changing the cold dank damp of Cornwall for the warm humidity of Cairns has worked wonders. I now use no medication at all.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some statistics for you

Proportion of general practice encounters for asthma, by state and territory, children aged 0 to 18 years, Australia, April 2001 to March 2004

4.85% Queensland
4.86% Western Australia
4.92% New South Wales
5.07% Australian Capital Territory
5.58% Tasmania
5.90% Victoria
6.21% South Australia

5.18% Australia in TOTAL - http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/.../aia05-x01.pdf

It appears that QLD has the lowest incidence, and SA has the highest.

Note:

I never had any problem with Asthma until I came to Aussie. I've heard a lot of explanations of why it's more prevalent here. From the air being so dry, and having more fine dust particals in it, which enables muck to get further down ones lungs (which is probably the closest to the truth). Through to the high usage of pesticides on crops, causing allergic reactions.

When I first had really annoying symptoms, 2 years after arriving here in 1982, I blamed Marilinga, probably wrong, However Adelaide is the closest city to that damned place.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:50 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Note:
If you enjoy technical reading, this paper offers an interesting hypothesis for Australia and New Zealand's high incidence of asthma.

http://www.jpgn.org/pt/re/jpgn/fulltext.00005176-200205001-00008.htm;jsessionid=DyJn1Vy8Pss8t2byhyCtmLaBlVBB3 oto6WwxCWLudjWnynXGCe2X!-1432726313!-949856145!9001!-1

I have my own thoughts on the matter.

Sue
Old Dec 28th 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Hi
we stayed in the gold coast for a while and my asthma control was bloody brilliant it was no trouble at all I cant wait for our big move as my asthma will be all but away

Billy
Old Dec 28th 2005, 1:31 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sduffy
I wonder if anyone living in Queensland who has asthma could advise if it has been better or worse than when you lived in the uk.

I am currently in Adelaide and have found it much worse.I came here thinking the humidity in Queensland would be bad for my asthma.All the trees and plants in Adelaide seem to be making it worse.

Any views appreciated.

Thanks Sue

Sue I found when I was in QLD, my asthma all but disappeared.

Saying that, it depends what your trigger is. I know the plant 'wottle' (wrong spelling probably) gave me terrible hayfever.

I was best on the coast and only used my inhaler when I went snorkelling on the Reef as I hadnt done it before.

The pharmacies have excellent asthma advice and support though.

It was terrible to leave QLD almost asthma free and get my symptoms back after a couple of weeks of landing.

Good luck though, speaking for myself, I was almost better.

Good luck

Samantha
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Two in our family have asthma. Initially when we moved to WA we found that it got worse but over the months it has improved and is not really a problem now.

I think that there are a few reasons for this including (and these are all very individual) dust when you move house, certain pollen sensitivity, temperature/humidity but one of the biggest issues in our case was the amount of chemicals around in the house.

We got rid of the scented toilet roll (causes throats to swell up at the smell - God knows what long term damage it does to your nether regions) straightaway. Minimised the use of the strong smelling washing liquid. Got rid of the strongly scented toilet cleaners, surface cleaners etc etc.
Our family may just have a peculiar sensitivity to these things but I feel that improvement in asthma since we removed them is more than just coincidence. It can't be good for your body systems having all of that rubbish around anyhow!!

Good luck.