Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Asthma and Colds

Asthma and Colds

Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:00 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Asthma and Colds

Do people who had problems with Asthma or Colds in the UK discover when they moved to OZ it got better, worse or no difference?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:05 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asthma and Colds

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Do people who had problems with Asthma or Colds in the UK discover when they moved to OZ it got better, worse or no difference?
Can't speak for asthma as I don't have it, but I suffered from more colds over there than I do here....

Weird eh!!!!

Yet I get more stomach bugs here, than I do there!!!!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

zoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the rough

i think i remember reading that people with asthma either get it worse in australia or it gets better in australia, and i guess there's no way of knowing which it would be for you until you got here. my partner has it and he thinks he needs to use his inhalers less, but he only really used them preventatively anyway.

i have a friend who was told some years ago that their chest complaint (not sure exactly what but they always had infections) would only improve if they moved either to arizona or perth - i assume due to the very dry air and the heat.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

When living in the UK 7 years ago I needed my inhaler perhaps once or twice per week and usually this was associated with exercise.

I then moved to SE Asia and can count the number of times I needed it on one hand in 5 years. I used to use it if the smog was very bad but could happily run 10kms without it. I threw inhalers away because they just went out of date without me needing them.

Moved back to the UK for a year and again needed ventolin about twice per week.

Moved to Perth and my asthma is horrfiic. I now wake at least twice in the night and need my inhaler and probably take it at least 6 times a day.

I'm about to go to the doctors to have it assessed because it is becoming unmanageable.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
When living in the UK 7 years ago I needed my inhaler perhaps once or twice per week and usually this was associated with exercise.

I then moved to SE Asia and can count the number of times I needed it on one hand in 5 years. I used to use it if the smog was very bad but could happily run 10kms without it. I threw inhalers away because they just went out of date without me needing them.

Moved back to the UK for a year and again needed ventolin about twice per week.

Moved to Perth and my asthma is horrfiic. I now wake at least twice in the night and need my inhaler and probably take it at least 6 times a day.

I'm about to go to the doctors to have it assessed because it is becoming unmanageable.
I am the opposite - since arriving in Oz - my asthma has almost gone - it is the best thing ever and people who have been hospitalised with asthma and have a nebuliser at home know how terrible a condition asthma can be.

I have been admitted to emergency wards on numerous occasions and have almost died with it twice.

I now hardly use my reliever (maybe after exercise sometimes) and use a preventor once a day.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I'm allergic to house dust, and find the tiled floors and sunshine of Perth are ideal (UV kills the dust mites, I think). No dusty carpets here.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

I have found since living in Aus, that I now suffer regularly from hayfever. I never had a problem in South Africa or the UK with hayfever, but here - it's just a constant issue and I always have to make sure I have tissues with me!!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

zoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nmccallum
I have found since living in Aus, that I now suffer regularly from hayfever. I never had a problem in South Africa or the UK with hayfever, but here - it's just a constant issue and I always have to make sure I have tissues with me!!
my parents have friends over in perth who emigrated there 30 years ago. he had never suffered from hayfever til he had been there for about 5 years, and then he started suffering, and it just got worse and worse. he tried all sorts of medication which worked periodically but it always came back worse. anyway - about 4 years ago he had acupuncture after being nagged by one of his kids to try it (he was totally sceptcial), and after 3 sessions he has never suffered from it again!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Our littlies were constantly sick in the UK with coughs, colds and sneezes etc but haven't had any since they've been here. Very odd.

Polly might be a good one to answer this as she suffers worse this end of the earth than ole blighty.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:59 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I have asthma & so does my daughters,Dani 8 & Loui 4.

Dani's asthma is all but gone,only noticeable signs are when she has a bad cold.

Loui always suffered worse than her sister & to be honest i haven't noticed any difference good or bad with her chest,her symptoms are the same,one thing Loui does seem to get worse here is hay fever & eczema,she is just getting over a severe reaction at the moment,its the worsted i have ever seen her skin We seem to get over one problem with her health then something else flares up!

Myself,i have been fine,on the same medication as the UK for my asthma & my symptoms have been the same,one thing i have noticed i suffer less colds & i had lots of problems with my sinuses in the UK & very little problems with them here

Donna.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 6:55 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have Asthma quite bad as a kid, but in most of my adult life it was rarely a problem in the UK, occassionaly after exercise and sometimes triggered off through alergies, but nothing major.
In about the 3 years ive been in Perth I have bought 2 ventolin inhalers and never used either off them (I was just in the habit of "just incase of emergency") the air is so much cleaner, fresher and less humid here, I dont know whether its just in my mind but it feels like its easier to breath here.
(We went on a trip over to Qld and it was noticable how much worse the air felt and it definitely made it harder to breath)
I also used to get very bad hayfever, generally from about May through to about August (on prescription medication) since moving here its practically non existent. I think it was largely different pollens in the UK that triggered it, they must be different here and I guess being so close to the ocean here in Perth might have an impact.
I do still have allergies to most animals though Cats,Dogs & Horses are the worst, not that I expected that to be any different to the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

My 11 yr old was very sick as a baby [Asthma]. He was rushed in on a blue light twice under the age of 1.
As he got older he did get better, just now and again had it bad, just before we left UK 18 months ago he was really ill, so ill he had to have his oxygen level checked before we flew.
He was ok to fly.
In the 18 months we have lived here he has not ben ill once.He has been so much fitter, hope he carries on like this.
Denise