Asthma & Aus

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Asthma & Aus

Does anyone know what the situation is regarding the prescriptions for inhalers in aus? We are a family of 5, 4 of us have asthma, 2 quite badly (need nebulisers ,steroids, the works). My son's is mainly 'climate' induced. Whenever the temp drops below 20 degrees, he suffers. Whilst out in aus we didn't have a problem until he got bitten by a sandfly and had all sorts of probs going on.

When we do need inhalers, do we simply go to the GP and she/he prescribes them? Or can we go to a chemist and buy them? In fact, do we have to pay for the kids prescriptions?

Many thanks X
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

lock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Asthma & Aus

Originally Posted by glittababe
Does anyone know what the situation is regarding the prescriptions for inhalers in aus? We are a family of 5, 4 of us have asthma, 2 quite badly (need nebulisers ,steroids, the works). My son's is mainly 'climate' induced. Whenever the temp drops below 20 degrees, he suffers. Whilst out in aus we didn't have a problem until he got bitten by a sandfly and had all sorts of probs going on.

When we do need inhalers, do we simply go to the GP and she/he prescribes them? Or can we go to a chemist and buy them? In fact, do we have to pay for the kids prescriptions?

Many thanks X
You will need to get a scrip, and most definately you pay for the kids medicines, and it's expensive unless you qualify for a heathcare card.

Paul
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lock collector
You will need to get a scrip, and most definately you pay for the kids medicines, and it's expensive unless you qualify for a heathcare card.

Paul
we have medibank insurance which we've kept up while we've been in the UK. I'm not sure if it covers things like medicines for pre existing conditions tho.

Just guessing, but is the healthcare card for those on a low income similar to the UK?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:44 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Many thanks X
I have asthma and got my inhalers ok after get a perscription from the doctors. I used a certain 'preventative' inhaler at the time which they didn't do but they gave me an alternative which was better and I still use the same one now I'm back.

There are some medicines that if they aren't on the special list (forgot what its called now, something like PBS?) then you may pay a fortune for, I paid a small fortune for a certain nasal spray.

You will have to pay for perscriptions and for child medicines/inhalers.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:04 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks X
Hi Glittababe,

You can buy Ventolin Inhalers over the counter,dont need a script for them but any steroid inhalers need a script from the doctor.
Myself & my youngest are asthmatic,both on ventolin,& Seretide Inhaler (this one needs a script )& costs me $28 for one 60dose inhaler.I have to buy 2 of these every month for us Ventolin ranges from $5-$9 per inhaler,Dont know how much the nebules would cost? I'm also on continus tablets price ranges from $17-$11 for 100 tabs (every six weeks)
Ive started getting all my prescription stuff from the EPharmacy,cheapest prices i have found so far.
You pay for prescription drugs kids & adults,find a medical centre that bulk bills everything & at least you wont have to pay to see the doctor.

Donna.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

GB,

In the UK I used Beclomethasone 200 (brown) and Salbutamol Evohaler (blue) ones.

I had a bit of a stock when I came here but checked at a chemist how I go about replacements.

She said I could buy the blue one over the counter after giving the pharmacist a few details to record but had to go to a doctors for the brown one.

As it happens I am lucky not to need either anymore. My asthma has gone which I suppose is the change of climate.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
GB,

In the UK I used Beclomethasone 200 (brown) and Salbutamol Evohaler (blue) ones.

I had a bit of a stock when I came here but checked at a chemist how I go about replacements.

She said I could buy the blue one over the counter after giving the pharmacist a few details to record but had to go to a doctors for the brown one.

As it happens I am lucky not to need either anymore. My asthma has gone which I suppose is the change of climate.
My 11 yr old has not suffered here in 12 months we have been here, before we left he was very unwell and had to have his oxygen levels checked before we flew. We always have it on standby though, force of habit. Denise
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi Glittababe,

You can buy Ventolin Inhalers over the counter,dont need a script for them but any steroid inhalers need a script from the doctor.
Myself & my youngest are asthmatic,both on ventolin,& Seretide Inhaler (this one needs a script )& costs me $28 for one 60dose inhaler.I have to buy 2 of these every month for us Ventolin ranges from $5-$9 per inhaler,Dont know how much the nebules would cost? I'm also on continus tablets price ranges from $17-$11 for 100 tabs (every six weeks)
Ive started getting all my prescription stuff from the EPharmacy,cheapest prices i have found so far.
You pay for prescription drugs kids & adults,find a medical centre that bulk bills everything & at least you wont have to pay to see the doctor.

Donna.
How much????? What we need are combivent nebules (for back up really), ventolin inhalers x 5 per month, seretide inh x 1 per mth, becloforte x 2 per month, becotide x 1 per month, uniphyllin tablets 250mg 28 pack, prednisolone 5mg 28 tabs x 2 boxes!

Oh and junior epipen, adult epipen, telfast 120mg tabs, betnovate ointment, eumovate ointment, citirizine syrup and thyroxine 50mcg 28 tabs x 1 box per month!

Apart from that we're a perfectly healthy family Think I'll be needing a mortgage! Just think, we got through the medicals no problem!

Last edited by glittababe; Dec 2nd 2005 at 12:12 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:10 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

How much????? What we need are combivent nebules (for back up really), ventolin inhalers x 5 per month, seretide inh x 1 per mth, becloforte x 2 per month, becotide x 1 per month, uniphyllin tablets 250mg 28 pack, prednisolone 5mg 28 tabs x 2 boxes!

Oh and junior epipen, adult epipen, telfast 120mg tabs, betnovate ointment, eumovate ointment, citirizine syrup and thyroxine 50mg 28 tabs x 1 box per month!

Apart from that we're a perfectly healthy family Think I'll be needing a mortgage! Just think, we got through the medicals no problem!

OMG

Its the Uniphylin tabs im on 300mg,twice a day.
Becotide isnt available here as thats what my youngest(4) was on & the doc changed it to seretide.
Prednisolone(Redipred) tabs/liquid is $16/18 for 30ml bottle.
My youngest also has eczema,Diprosone ointment is $11 for 15g tube.
Hayfever i take Telfast 180 mg $25 for 30 pack,youngest takes Telfast for kids $15 for 20 pack,Zirtec also $25 for 30 pack.(available over the counter.)

I have a list of prices for prescription drugs from the Epharmacy,(i;ll have a look & see if i can find it) will look up the things your needing & give you prices for them if there on the list?

Donna.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:15 pm

OMG

Becotide isnt available here as thats what my youngest(4) was on & the doc changed it to seretide.
Hayfever i take Telfast 180 mg $25 for 30 pack,youngest takes Telfast for kids $15 for 20 pack,Zirtec also $25 for 30 pack.(available over the counter.)

I have a list of prices for prescription drugs from the Epharmacy,(i;ll have a look & see if i can find it) will look up the things your needing & give you prices for them if there on the list?

Donna.

Found it!

Give me 20 mins & i'll do u a list!

Donna.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

OMG

Donna.
At least rate I'll need some anti anxiety tabs as well! We'll be bringing over 3 mths suppy from the GP here. Regarding Cameron's eczema he has eumovate ointment and zeprobase emollient cream. he did have some dermol bath stuff but we never used it. Interestingly tho Cameron's eczema cleared up whilst we were in aus. Their asthma was obviously still there, but had definately improved. Thanks for taking the time to look for me. I'll have to make sure I set aside enough money for all of this!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:46 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
GB,

I take exactly the same as you Bix and my asthma was awful before we left for our validation trip. While we were in Oz (a month) no asthma at all, fab. We have been back three weeks and it is even worse now. My doctor believes it is the pollution in the UK.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:50 pm

Oh and junior epipen, adult epipen, telfast 120mg tabs, betnovate ointment, eumovate ointment, citirizine syrup and thyroxine 50mcg 28 tabs x 1 box per month!

Combivent Nebules? (not sure what this is)
Ventolin Nebs 2.5mg 30x2- $20.50
" " 5mg 30-$12.60
" " 5mg 30x2-$21.50
Cant find Becloforte?Becotide not available?
Cant find Epipens?
Betnovate cream 30mg-$18.15
Cant find Eumovate?/citirizine syrup & thyroxine.

Sorry not as much there as i thought there would be,its hard as some of them may come under different names?

Im sure they have a website,healthepharmacy.com.au maybe you might be able to get some prices from there?
Hope this helps anyway

Donna.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Combivent Nebules? (not sure what this is)
Ventolin Nebs 2.5mg 30x2- $20.50
" " 5mg 30-$12.60
" " 5mg 30x2-$21.50
Cant find Becloforte?Becotide not available?
Cant find Epipens?
Betnovate cream 30mg-$18.15
Cant find Eumovate?/citirizine syrup & thyroxine.

Sorry not as much there as i thought there would be,its hard as some of them may come under different names?

Im sure they have a website,healthepharmacy.com.au maybe you might be able to get some prices from there?
Hope this helps anyway

Donna.
Many thanks Donna. Shockingly expensive but hey never mind. Maybe things will improve when we get out there? Right I'm off to clean house as we have another viewer!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:13 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

OMG

Donna.
Lol, I have had to price stuff up too, the most costly items to me will be Insulin, the amounts I use and because they are non PBS will set me back in the region of $250 a month

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.