asthma

Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

jateai will become famous soon enough
Default asthma

Have people who have moved to oz found their asthma has improved or got worse? Especially people who have moved to or lived in tasmania!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of
Default Re: asthma

Originally Posted by jateai
Have people who have moved to oz found their asthma has improved or got worse? Especially people who have moved to or lived in tasmania!
I can't say from personal experience but have heard that Asthma and eczema improves!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelle
I can't say from personal experience but have heard that Asthma and eczema improves!
one of our inital reasons for moving to oz was to help clear my eczema.ive suffered badly with it for 20 yeas now.but completely out of the blue it just went.i still get a couple of patches but definitely no where near as bad as i used to.but we are still going of course.mind you my little boy seems to have a constant cough so i hope the climate might help.x irish
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:10 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

My asthma all but went.

However, I did have some hayfever which I never get in the UK.

I think it depends on what you are allergic to.

There is a white plant/flower thing I cant remember what its called, begins with a 'W'. (wottle?)

That can cause allergies to be worse.

I was lucky and only used my inhaler once or twice and that was it.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi as a family of asthmatics:
my has all but gone and I only use my preventers each morning and not the evening hardly use a reliever maybe had 4 of these in over 14 months.

My son who is 18 has improved and only uses his preventers when he can remember

My hubby is much the same - not quite as bad as the UK but not that much improved.

We are living in Canberra where the climate is quite dry I think

Sarah
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:21 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi as a family of asthmatics:
my has all but gone and I only use my preventers each morning and not the evening hardly use a reliever maybe had 4 of these in over 14 months.

My son who is 18 has improved and only uses his preventers when he can remember

My hubby is much the same - not quite as bad as the UK but not that much improved.

We are living in Canberra where the climate is quite dry I think

Sarah

Sarah have you noticed that they have excellent pharmacy support in Oz for asthma?

I noticed in some of the chemists that they offer asthma checks, peak flow checks and advice.

Far more than we get where I live.

It is nice that you can buy ventolin over the counter. My GP restricts to only 2 ventolin inhalers and that has to last you.

But I was impressed with the support they offer in Oz.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Sarah have you noticed that they have excellent pharmacy support in Oz for asthma?

I noticed in some of the chemists that they offer asthma checks, peak flow checks and advice.

Far more than we get where I live.

It is nice that you can buy ventolin over the counter. My GP restricts to only 2 ventolin inhalers and that has to last you.

But I was impressed with the support they offer in Oz.
Frankly I was gobsmacked - couldn't believe it was possible to buy a ventolin over the counter and cheaper than paying for the prescription charge!!!

Yes they may be behind in some areas out in Oz but I think the medical area is not one of them.

For instance I found a small lump/swelling last week. I was at the hospital yesterday and had the results within the hour and that was public and not private! Imagine that on the NHS???

Everything was ok thankfully
Sarah
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My eczema has always improved when in Tassie - asthma should be the same as the air there is so clean.
Queensland is a different matter - my skin is horrendous here, only improves when I visit the UK!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:38 am

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: asthma

I have suffered with asthma for about 23 years. At the moment (probably due to the stress of house sale and imminent move to Oz) it is really really bad. Preventer, I take twice a day and the blue one, well I'm puffing on that 10-15 times a day.

My doctor said that once we moved she thought the asthma would go because of the cleaner air. Apparently pollution is very bad in Nottm.

We went on a validation trip last year for 3 weeks and I never took either inhaler once!

For me, it will be amazing if what she says is true.

Shelley xx
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

We live in Brisbane, And mt Asthma is slightly worse since getting here, I think its down to the humidity here, Which is shocking. Hope wherever you go you will feel better. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Suzanne
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

I was very surprised by the replies. Since arriving in Aus a year ago I have been told by every doctor or pharmacist I have spoken to that Australia is the "asthma capital of the world". As someone has said, it all depends what one is allergic to I guess. I've had asthma since childhood but in London where I spent more than half my life I had it under control, never used a preventer and only very occasionally used ventolin. Since being here I have use serotide 3 times a day and have the preventer near by. I have also found that regular exercise has helped. The doctors here do take it very seriously and I had allergy tests within a week. I had to wait six months in the UK! (Hayfever). They also went to a lot of trouble to educate you on the correct use of the medication. I have been very impressed - but would prefer not to have to bother

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Shelley29
I have suffered with asthma for about 23 years. At the moment (probably due to the stress of house sale and imminent move to Oz) it is really really bad. Preventer, I take twice a day and the blue one, well I'm puffing on that 10-15 times a day.

My doctor said that once we moved she thought the asthma would go because of the cleaner air. Apparently pollution is very bad in Nottm.

We went on a validation trip last year for 3 weeks and I never took either inhaler once!

For me, it will be amazing if what she says is true.

Shelley xx
It was good for me to be so healthy in QLD and Adelaide, I carried my inhaler with me but only used it when I went snorkelling for the first time.

And to come back to the UK and go back to an old state of health was quite hard.

As you say Shelley, wont it just be amazing if we are lucky enough to be that healthy once we move?