Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ashes question...

Ashes question...

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough
Default Ashes question...

Sorry guys... this is not a question about cricket but one on cremated remains and I wonder if anyone has come across this problem in travelling to Australia, or could offer some much needed advice.

I am the guardian of wooden box of cremated remains; those of a very special and precious friend. When my Northern Irish husband and I return to Australia in a few months, I wish to carry the ashes casket on board the plane with me. I would rather keep it safe in my hand luggage than trusting it to my suitcase in the cargo hold in case my luggage is lost stolen or damaged.

I have checked with the AQIS site and found the following regarding human or animal ashes...

"Human and animal ashes are allowed into Australia and do not require accompanying documentation. If the ashes are contained in a container made of wood or other material of quarantine concern, the container must be declared and inspected on arrival at the airport to ensure the container is free from contamination, such as bark or insect infestation."

Fair enough, no worries with that... however...
I appreciate the casket must be x-rayed as we pass through various airports en route to Oz but I do not wish to be pulled aside, questioned or, more importantly have these precious ashes opened and tampered with due to me being inadvertently suspected of carry cocaine or something equally nasty.

I have contacted the various airports we'll be passing through and have been told that it is up to our carrier if I can take the casket in my hand luggage - when contacting the carriers, I've been told it's up to customs, not them.

It's a hard one to answer, I know! But I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this and if anyone out there can help me I'd be extremely grateful! Thankyou.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:52 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ashes question...

Originally Posted by Iolair
Sorry guys... this is not a question about cricket but one on cremated remains and I wonder if anyone has come across this problem in travelling to Australia, or could offer some much needed advice.

I am the guardian of wooden box of cremated remains; those of a very special and precious friend. When my Northern Irish husband and I return to Australia in a few months, I wish to carry the ashes casket on board the plane with me. I would rather keep it safe in my hand luggage than trusting it to my suitcase in the cargo hold in case my luggage is lost stolen or damaged.

I have checked with the AQIS site and found the following regarding human or animal ashes...

"Human and animal ashes are allowed into Australia and do not require accompanying documentation. If the ashes are contained in a container made of wood or other material of quarantine concern, the container must be declared and inspected on arrival at the airport to ensure the container is free from contamination, such as bark or insect infestation."

Fair enough, no worries with that... however...
I appreciate the casket must be x-rayed as we pass through various airports en route to Oz but I do not wish to be pulled aside, questioned or, more importantly have these precious ashes opened and tampered with due to me being inadvertently suspected of carry cocaine or something equally nasty.

I have contacted the various airports we'll be passing through and have been told that it is up to our carrier if I can take the casket in my hand luggage - when contacting the carriers, I've been told it's up to customs, not them.

It's a hard one to answer, I know! But I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this and if anyone out there can help me I'd be extremely grateful! Thankyou.
which airlines have you booked with?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough

Hi...

We've not booked tickets yet but I've made enquiries regarding carrying the ashes casket in my hand luggage with British Midlands, Qantas, Singapore, Emirates, JAL, Cathay Pacific, Air NZ and BA, so far. None of them could give me an answer and all directed me to airport customs who directed me back to the airlines.

No one seems to have a clue - least of all, me.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iolair
Hi...

We've not booked tickets yet but I've made enquiries regarding carrying the ashes casket in my hand luggage with British Midlands, Qantas, Singapore, Emirates, JAL, Cathay Pacific, Air NZ and BA, so far. None of them could give me an answer and all directed me to airport customs who directed me back to the airlines.

No one seems to have a clue - least of all, me.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342203

and

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331969

are two I can find - I'm sure there are others where people have asked about carrying them, and no-one has reported back with problems.
It would be down to Customs on entry, not the airlines, so I reckon you are fine whoever you travel with.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 24th 2007 at 8:47 am.