Ascot Vale

Old Dec 24th 2010, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ascot Vale

Hey

Looking at moving to Ascot Vale.
Does anyone know it? I have read good things about it.
Someone mentioned to me it has a lot of commission housing. Is there a lot and is this a big problem?
We will be renting.
Cheers
Old Dec 24th 2010, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ascot Vale

Originally Posted by llanfachreth
Hey

Looking at moving to Ascot Vale.
Does anyone know it? I have read good things about it.
Someone mentioned to me it has a lot of commission housing. Is there a lot and is this a big problem?
We will be renting.
Cheers
It's a good and relatively affluent area. Fairly close to the City, plenty of old established houses, which are quite pricey. There are commission flats down the bottom of Epsom Rd near the Showgrounds, but I've not heard anyone mention anything about them in the 30 years that I've lived here in Melbourne. I live about 5 to 6ks away from Ascot Vale, dont go there very often, save for a trip to the Show Grounds. There isnt a lot there for me. Still on liveablity, I would give it 7.5 out of 10.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

The high rise housing commission flats are at Kensington and Flemington near the end of Flemington Road where the CityLink sound tube is. Ascot Vale is a fairly classy area I'm pretty sure. Inner urban, a lot of university students renting etc., quite a trendy vibe to the place, very inner urban, cafe culture, pub culture etc. It's close to Flemington racecourse and the showgrounds (where there are a lot of major music festivals held).
Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Inner areas of Melbourne have housing commission blocks and homes. These days even if you buy in a block of units you may find once you take ownership that the Housing Commission owns some of them. They spot buy now and place people all over the place. My friend's daughter had two flats in her block owned by it in East St Kilda. It did not stop her making over a hundred grand profit when she sold.

That said Ascot Vale is a nice suburb my brother lived there for a few years and he was very happy there.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies.

What about Brunswick (east, lygon st)... I know it's different but seems to have more going on. Is it relatively safe?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know it is a very safe area. Sydney Road has had some 'gangland' shootings over the years, i.e. underworld crime, but generally none of the general public are ever involved.

Personally I love the whole Carlton/Brunswick/Fitzroy area. It is classic inner urban living, very popular with university students due to the close proximity to Melbourne University, heaps of bars, cafes and restaurants with a strong Mediterranean influence. Royal Park is nearby as well as Carlton Gardens, so parts of the area are rather leafy. Public transport is excellent, i.e. trams and trains.

There is a somewhat bohemian and trendy feel about the place but also popular with professionals and families. The residential areas in those suburbs I mentioned are rather quiet and peaceful for inner urban areas. As with all inner urban areas though, it is pricey.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, seems prices are quite high in inner melbourne in general.
Cheers for that
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

What about Brunswick (east, lygon st)... I know it's different but seems to have more going on. Is it relatively safe?

Fantastic area, you will never be bored. Your only probable issue is living next door to Musicians and getting annoyed by their practice. Most soundproof their places though.

Brunswick East has a reputation as the Musician center of Melbourne.

The other interesting thing about this area, is when they talk "Football" they are most likely to be talking Soccer.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 11th 2011 at 2:40 am.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

The other interesting thing about this area, is when they talk "Football" they are most likely to be talking Soccer.
Why is this?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why is this?
Lots of Ethnic influence, plus it seems it's where people are most accepting of change or overseas trends. In my opinion the Inner North of Melbourne is traditionally where most influences that take hold in Australia start, although I'm sure there will be people in Central Sydney that will counter this view.

Football/Soccer is on the rise big time in Australia, and it's at its strongest in this region. Coincidentally it's also where Aussie Rules first took hold.