Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Article "The good life fails to make Britain happy"

Article "The good life fails to make Britain happy"

Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Article "The good life fails to make Britain happy"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...975121,00.html

According to this study the "happiest" people in the world can be found in Malta. It seems to tick many of the boxes - plenty of sunshine, they speak a bit of English, it's the George Cross island, no creepy crawlies, closer to the UK. Is this the next wannabe destination?

The study shows what we should know already - it isn't wealth, living standards or possessions (or lack thereof) which make people happy. Other factors are more important in determining whether we are happy or not. These factors will vary from person to person, from country to country and from one time in our life to another.

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:17 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article "The good life fails to make Britain happy"

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The study shows what we should know already - it isn't wealth, living standards or possessions (or lack thereof) which make people happy. Other factors are more important in determining whether we are happy or not. These factors will vary from person to person, from country to country and from one time in our life to another.

OzTennis
As someone once said - Money can't buy happiness - but with plenty of money you can certaily rent a lot of it
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
As someone once said - Money can't buy happiness - but with plenty of money you can certaily rent a lot of it
Yep and we often hear that 'money can't make you happy'. We don't hear the opposite but it is equally true too 'lack of money can't make you happy'.

Money and happiness in music:

Abba on Money, Money, Money

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain’t it sad
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That’s too bad
In my dreams I have a plan
If I got me a wealthy man
I wouldn’t have to work at all, I’d fool around and have a ball...

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man’s world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man’s world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It’s a rich man’s world

A man like that is hard to find but I can’t get him off my mind
Ain’t it sad
And if he happens to be free I bet he wouldn’t fancy me
That’s too bad
So I must leave, I’ll have to go
To las vegas or monaco
And win a fortune in a game, my life will never be the same...

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man’s world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man’s world
Aha-ahaaa
If I had a little money
It’s a rich man’s world

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man’s world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man’s world
Aha-ahaaa
If I had a little money
It’s a rich man’s world

It’s a rich man’s world

Pink Floyd on Money:

Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay and you're O.K.
Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
A new car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Money, get back
I'm all right Jack, keep your hands off of my stack
Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody-good bullshit
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet

Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're giving
None away, away, away, away, away, away, away, away

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:35 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar

Hmm! We're always told that money doesn't buy you happiness, but I for one wouldn't mind finding out - I pretty certain that I'd be pretty damn happy if I had no money worries!

Nicky
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hmm! We're always told that money doesn't buy you happiness, but I for one wouldn't mind finding out - I pretty certain that I'd be pretty damn happy if I had no money worries!

Nicky
Do you reckon the wealthy don't have 'money worries'?

The founders of Google (Sergey Brin and Larry Page) have been earning at the rate of US$1 million per day each since they founded it 7 years ago (based on the value of the share options they have sold since it floated divided by the number of weeks their company has been in existence) and they have projects on the go to make them wealthier. Surely they have enough 'happiness' by now?

Incidentally it said that Google is now greater in value than Ford, Disney and McDonald's combined. :scared: And to think that Yahoo etc turned them down when they offered their search engine as struggling PhD students!

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a great sticker on a car in front of me on the way home tonight:

"The best things in life aren't things"
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
I saw a great sticker on a car in front of me on the way home tonight:

"The best things in life aren't things"
Yep, that's a good 'un and very true too.

Another car might retort "The best things in life are free but you can keep em for the birds and bees, I want money, that's what I want etc".

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's a good 'un and very true too.

Another car might retort "The best things in life are free but you can keep em for the birds and bees, I want money, that's what I want etc".

OzTennis
The car had another sticker too: "Don't just do something, sit there" and a picture of an Ohm.

Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:48 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

OzTennis
I'm hearing this.

I'm earning more money that I ever have before right now, but I can't say that I'm happy. If anything, this job is likely to be the death of me (or somebody else) before I finish. And the Irony is that I'm covering for someone that has gone off and had a nervous breakdown!

My friend is moving to Adelaide this year, and he's planning to buy or start a lawn mowing business. I always laughed at him for his relentless pursuit of a stressfree lifestyle. Maybe no I'll be laughing on a different side of my face...

S
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'm hearing this.

I'm earning more money that I ever have before right now, but I can't say that I'm happy. If anything, this job is likely to be the death of me (or somebody else) before I finish. And the Irony is that I'm covering for someone that has gone off and had a nervous breakdown!

My friend is moving to Adelaide this year, and he's planning to buy or start a lawn mowing business. I always laughed at him for his relentless pursuit of a stressfree lifestyle. Maybe no I'll be laughing on a different side of my face...

S
You couldn't lend us a tenner could you?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

We looked at Malta, and its very difficult to get in, buy house etc.,
angela
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

According to this study the "happiest" people in the world can be found in Malta. It seems to tick many of the boxes - plenty of sunshine, they speak a bit of English, it's the George Cross island, no creepy crawlies, closer to the UK. Is this the next wannabe destination?

OzTennis
lol yeah been there done that got the t-shirt...woz there last fall but there's no shops, only crap tourist places...boring
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Do you reckon the wealthy don't have 'money worries'?

The founders of Google (Sergey Brin and Larry Page) have been earning at the rate of US$1 million per day each since they founded it 7 years ago (based on the value of the share options they have sold since it floated divided by the number of weeks their company has been in existence) and they have projects on the go to make them wealthier. Surely they have enough 'happiness' by now?

Incidentally it said that Google is now greater in value than Ford, Disney and McDonald's combined. :scared: And to think that Yahoo etc turned them down when they offered their search engine as struggling PhD students!

OzTennis
Sergey and Larry continue because they are still searching for what makes you happy.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

OzTennis
My best man is moving out to Malta, never considered it myself but was a lovely place to holiday, locals very welcoming (apart from the one who picked my pocket at the market :scared: god crime everywhere). I can sort of understand why someone would want to move there but it's not for me!!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Money doesn't buy happiness but it sure buys you a better class of memories

Funny how it's always us poor people who say money doesn't buy happiness but it was some wealthy person (Oprah maybe) who said "I've been rich and I've been poor, I prefer rich"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.