Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On arriving in Oz???

Wikiposts

On arriving in Oz???

Old May 17th 2004, 1:16 pm
the place to be

daveg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Bordy I might take you up on those airbeds - we arrive in a couple of weeks AAAARgh. Bringing mini sleeping bags for the kids.

Whats happening in Melb first wk of June as accom is wide open except the first few days of June?? We have somewhere for the first 2 weeks though (1st to 14th). Hope we can get a rental in that time, I start work on the 14th !!
Old May 17th 2004, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

linnie2003 is on a distinguished road

HI Trood
We have just arrived in Melbourne (recently left Nottm ourselves!) we're currently in the midst of house hunting...luckily our employers have funded accommodation for the first few weeks...it might help your planning to know that there seems to be a lot of activity on Saturdays when a lot of properties are opened up for people to look around...often they are only open for 15 minutes or so, which seemed crazy at first, but you soon get an idea of whether accommodation is what you want.
By the way, people have told us not to immediately offer the rental the real estate agent agent asks for, but to try and barter a bit...has anyone else had experience of this and did it work??
Cheers
Lx
Old May 17th 2004, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by linnie2003
By the way, people have told us not to immediately offer the rental the real estate agent agent asks for, but to try and barter a bit...has anyone else had experience of this and did it work??
Cheers
Lx
We offered 90% of the asking rent. Was gutted when they said 'yes', without any further bartering. Next time I'll be offering 80%!