Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On arriving in Oz???

On arriving in Oz???

Old May 17th 2004, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default On arriving in Oz???

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on temporary accomodation. Would you book for 2 weeks or 3 weeks upon arrival?

I've found a couple of places to stay but not sure whether I'm being realistic enough about timescales. We arrive in Melbourne and after recovering from the flight we intend to blitz real estate agents etc to find a more permanent rental base - but in the meantime what do you folks thing???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old May 17th 2004, 12:08 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: On arriving in Oz???

Each time I moved here (this has been the fourth time!) we never booked more than 2 weeks temporary accommodation. However, the pressure will be off you if you manage to book an extra week.

Cherry

Originally posted by Troood
Just wondering what people's thoughts were on temporary accomodation. Would you book for 2 weeks or 3 weeks upon arrival?

I've found a couple of places to stay but not sure whether I'm being realistic enough about timescales. We arrive in Melbourne and after recovering from the flight we intend to blitz real estate agents etc to find a more permanent rental base - but in the meantime what do you folks thing???

Cheers
Old May 17th 2004, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by cherry6
Each time I moved here (this has been the fourth time!) we never booked more than 2 weeks temporary accommodation. However, the pressure will be off you if you manage to book an extra week.

Cherry
Thanks Cherry. I think 3 is probably best. I want to save money but then don't want to be under pressure to find a home in 2 weeks!!
Old May 17th 2004, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Hi
We booked 1 week in a hotel but extended it 2 weeks. We found rental no problem in 2 weeks
wendy
Old May 17th 2004, 12:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks Cherry. I think 3 is probably best. I want to save money but then don't want to be under pressure to find a home in 2 weeks!!
How much is the difference between the extra 1 week in furnished accomodation versus unfurnished accomodation ? and is it an affordable expense ?

Old May 17th 2004, 12:51 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

another factor would be what time of year you are going - ie if it is half term/high holiday season - if it is not and demand is low for temporary accomo then it would be easy to add an extra week if nothing turned up.
Old May 17th 2004, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by walaj
another factor would be what time of year you are going - ie if it is half term/high holiday season - if it is not and demand is low for temporary accomo then it would be easy to add an extra week if nothing turned up.

Good point - we arrive on the 4th November (gold cup week and very busy apparantly). I'm just clue less about how quickly we'll find a home to live in - especially with a young child and dog in toe!!
Old May 17th 2004, 3:25 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Good point - we arrive on the 4th November (gold cup week and very busy apparantly). I'm just clue less about how quickly we'll find a home to live in - especially with a young child and dog in toe!!

If you need a couple of air mattresses as temp bedding give me a shout Trood.
Old May 17th 2004, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Bordy
If you need a couple of air mattresses as temp bedding give me a shout Trood.

A blow up man would be better!!! Thanks Bordy, appreciate your offer.
Old May 17th 2004, 3:35 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

A blow up man would be better!!! Thanks Bordy, appreciate your offer.

I'll get the Mrs to price that for you.
Old May 17th 2004, 4:00 pm
owieb

We booked for 1 week and found a place to rent in 3 days.

Old May 17th 2004, 6:12 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

We're landing in brissy 21st Aug and will be booking 2/3 wks temp accom.
Don't want to spend a couple of grand on holiday apartments ,have enquired about a 3 bed house Broad beach low season $360 per wk ,looks like a bargain !

All the best plum
Old May 18th 2004, 12:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by plumber
We're landing in brissy 21st Aug and will be booking 2/3 wks temp accom.
Don't want to spend a couple of grand on holiday apartments ,have enquired about a 3 bed house Broad beach low season $360 per wk ,looks like a bargain !

All the best plum
That sounds like a very good price, I assume it is furnished

Do you have a web link for it ?

Old May 18th 2004, 12:20 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Cheers

Why dont you organise your rental house over the thinternet, thats what we did before we got here just picked the keys up on arrival and walked straight into a 4 bed house with a pool and that cost us $230 pw if i remember rightly, just check out realestate.com.au... good luck anyway with the hunting and other stuff.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by johanne
..... 4 bed house with a pool and that cost us $230 pw if i remember rightly,.....
Bloody hell! That's a cracking deal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.