Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all
Default Re: Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Thanks for all your replies guys, it's great to read so many people's stories and relate to others who have been in the same boat, sorry I started a Queensland v Melbourne debate though!

This is my update since the first depressing post:

We are now renting an apartment in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast. My partner has got a welding job closer to home in Coomera, takes him about 30mins to get to work.

I'm feeling abit more settled now after the first turbulant few weeks! The area is fantastic here and I can see us settling now. Tried to get to an Expat meet-up that was arranged on the coast, but unfortunately loads of things happened that day as usual and I couldn't make it, gutted.

As we thought with the cottage we rented, we had to pay the letting fee's and the rent we owed so lost alot of money staying in hotels until we found somewhere to rent on the gold coast. Learned from our mistake though.

At the moment, we are renting a car and are looking to buy one this weekend. We can only afford a cheap but hopefully reliable run around for my partner to get to work in one piece.

I have been applying endlessly for jobs within bus distance from Burleigh Heads, as I will have to commute by bus with only one car, unfortunately no luck yet but i'll keep trying.

We are taking things week by week as our funds are getting low now with all the expense in the first few weeks. We have the essentials which i'm grateful for like a bed, fridge and appliances to cook with. Can only afford to get all the rest of th furniture bit by bit, but i'm looking forward to having the apartment looking great in the next few months.

All in all, i'm feeling much more positive and glad we made the decision to move to the Gold Coast cause I love it here. Once I can get a job i'm sure i'll feel much more settling here.

Thanks All
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicrock
Thanks for all your replies guys, it's great to read so many people's stories and relate to others who have been in the same boat, sorry I started a Queensland v Melbourne debate though!

This is my update since the first depressing post:

We are now renting an apartment in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast. My partner has got a welding job closer to home in Coomera, takes him about 30mins to get to work.

I'm feeling abit more settled now after the first turbulant few weeks! The area is fantastic here and I can see us settling now. Tried to get to an Expat meet-up that was arranged on the coast, but unfortunately loads of things happened that day as usual and I couldn't make it, gutted.

As we thought with the cottage we rented, we had to pay the letting fee's and the rent we owed so lost alot of money staying in hotels until we found somewhere to rent on the gold coast. Learned from our mistake though.

At the moment, we are renting a car and are looking to buy one this weekend. We can only afford a cheap but hopefully reliable run around for my partner to get to work in one piece.

I have been applying endlessly for jobs within bus distance from Burleigh Heads, as I will have to commute by bus with only one car, unfortunately no luck yet but i'll keep trying.

We are taking things week by week as our funds are getting low now with all the expense in the first few weeks. We have the essentials which i'm grateful for like a bed, fridge and appliances to cook with. Can only afford to get all the rest of th furniture bit by bit, but i'm looking forward to having the apartment looking great in the next few months.

All in all, i'm feeling much more positive and glad we made the decision to move to the Gold Coast cause I love it here. Once I can get a job i'm sure i'll feel much more settling here.

Thanks All
Well done for giving it your best shot.Things seems to have improved for you and that's done to your good efforts.Im sure a job will come up for you soon.Keep yourself busy and try to make some friends.If you get any invites dont turn them down,you just never know.Good luck.Btw we have managed nearly two years with just one car.I use it mainly for work and school runs while my husband cycles a lot.Naturally he didnt cycle last night in the very heavy rain.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:59 am
Just Joined

beanz is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to hear things are looking up for you! Give me Burleigh Heads over Forest Lake any day!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Welcome to Australia!

You're depressed because you landed in Brisbane. This is a common side effect of living in Queensland and we hear about it frequently.

There are several solutions, but the two most commonly used are
  1. Move to Melbourne
  2. Wait 3 months until the new arrival depression fades and enjoy your new life in the land of plenty
Good luck

Al

LOL!!!!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:47 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the connection between Croatian people having a punch-up and Melbourne being a dangerous place to walk...well, perhaps if would I dropped 3 tabs of acid, smoked 2 kilos of cannabis and stood in a vacuum chamber without oxygen for 5 minutes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia

I think you're heading towards the online-buddy equivalent of negative equity my friend.

Also, Queensland is full of hairy and aggressive looking 'bikies' (not to mention f*****g dangerous at times).
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:13 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I can see the connection between Croatian people having a punch-up and Melbourne being a dangerous place to walk...well, perhaps if would I dropped 3 tabs of acid, smoked 2 kilos of cannabis and stood in a vacuum chamber without oxygen for 5 minutes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia

I think you're heading towards the online-buddy equivalent of negative equity my friend.

Also, Queensland is full of hairy and aggressive looking 'bikies' (not to mention f*****g dangerous at times).
but only if your daft enough to drive
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi Nicrock
have to agree with you, the gold coast is a great place to live.
All the best with the job hunt.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:32 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
but only if your daft enough to drive
LOL. You're absolutely correct but I was thinking more about their greatly beloved pastime of "stabby-stabby" and "shooty-shooty"....
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:38 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. You're absolutely correct but I was thinking more about their greatly beloved pastime of "stabby-stabby" and "shooty-shooty"....
joking aside mate with stats like this your safer with your "stabby-stabby" and "shooty-shooty" mates

https://www.webcrash.transport.qld.g.../roadsense.pdf
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Hi Al,

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for sharing these images. We're hoping to move to Melbourne (when ???) and seeing these images has reminded us that the current hell of awaiting a visa and trying to sell our house will be well worth it when we finally get there.

Thanks again,

Colin & Toni
Just to show the OP, how many varied environments there are in Aus, and to others reading this post... Heres Melbourne from my viewpoint, apparently I live right on the longest shopping strip in the Southern Hemisphere... I've seen that quoted many a place. 6 kilometres of shopping/cafes/restaurants and bars and live music venues...opps and two pole dancing clubs Sham 69 are playing in Brunswick tonight BTW.

Just in case you want busy and buzzy ozrascal

Here is Sydney Rd through Brunswick. A place I'm very proud to call home.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 18th 2008 at 5:59 am.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the Croatians so much around here, more the real Gangsters, who only target each other, not the General Public. There were more than 25 public killings. Between the real Italian Mafia, and the Local Australian Northern Suburb gang headed by Carl Williams.

It took me right back to the days of Reggie and Ronnie East london... V the Richardsons of South london.... the Richardsons were infamous for nailing people to floors/walls and chairs... if they were lucky.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 18th 2008 at 6:24 am.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:13 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's not the Croatians so much around here, more the real Gangsters, who only target each other, and not the General Public. There were more than 25 public killings. Between the real Italian Mafia, and the Local Australian Northern Suburb gang headed by Carl Williams.

It took me right back to the days of Reggie and Ronnie East london... V the Richardsons of South london.... the Richardsons were infamous for nailing people to floors/walls and chairs... if they were lucky.

Ooooh. Taken out Jesus-Style. That's different.

The mention of Croatia was in response to seeing pictures of people bashing each other whilst holding the Croatian national flag.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ooooh. Taken out Jesus-Style. That's different.

The mention of Croatia was in response to seeing pictures of people bashing each other whilst holding the Croatian national flag.
Ahh Yes the Croatians v Serbians at the Australian Open, thats big city life for you. BTW that post contains a total misrepresentation with the bikies, as they are on there way to the Royal Childrens hospital on that day for fund raising activities.

I can sympathise with the OP, as Melbournes pictorial view of Brisbane is thus...

Whoops forgot the OP.... Good luck with your life on the Gold Coast, its a beautiful part of the world.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 18th 2008 at 6:57 am.