Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:24 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Originally Posted by RayZor
Hi,

Thought I would give you a more useful reply...

What were your goals before you arrived, you don't seem to have thought this through...

Sit down and get over the jet-lag and evaluate your options..

Normally you can break a lease but have to pay until someone else moves in but rental market very buoyant at the moment, check with the agent...look at the conditions you signed up for...

Then think about your plans, have a good drink and take things slowly and don't sign for anything else just yet until you are sure...

Failing that, if it's really bad, go down to Melbourne where you will get mugged/stabbed by all the criminal gangs down there and be put out of your misery..(watch Romper Stomper it's what it's like)...or get depressed over the freezing all year random weather down there...

R...

Ray
Always makes me laugh when people say things like that! If you're scared of getting mugged in Melbourne I;d love to see how you get on in London.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Forget about jobs, houses, commitment and pressure for as long as it takes and mooch off for a few days or weeks on holiday and remind yourselves of what a beautiful country this is and why you moved over here.

We started off in the Bayside Suburbs which was lovely but we found it a little bit too quiet for us after a couple of months. We moved to the Gold Coast and I commuted to work for 6 months which was only about an hours drive anyway until some work came up closer to home and I now drive 20 minutes to work.

Hang in there and remember that you only get out what you put in and hard work and rolling up of the sleeves is whats needed sometimes where ever you are.

Good luck.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:57 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

post repeated below!

Last edited by alipally; Jun 16th 2008 at 9:58 am. Reason: tech probs!!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:57 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Well some of the posts will make you laugh, others offer help. I think you got a great mix of replies!
Sorry I can't be of any practical help, I just wanted to wish you a successful solution to your problems...

One thing's for sure, once you find the right place to live you can take stock of your situation...

I would suggest is that you don't just take the next plane home, take some time to make a decision that's right for you.

Keep us posted of your progress!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:06 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

I'll try posting something more constructive.

Its hard to research areas to go and I'm in a position where I already know exactly where I want to end up. I know for a fact though that I'll be homesick for a substantial amount of time, as I was before, and I'll beon the verge of coming home whenever anything doesn't go right. But things can be changed and they will change so try and remain positive and try and accept any offer or opportunity that comes up, say yes to eveything! And when that fails, cry your tits off and moan like a bitch cos I intend to. Its good therapy.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:13 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well your not going to get any muggers out now it's too bloody cold

Originally Posted by bigAPE
LOOKOUT!!! A Mugger coming to get you !!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1186/...416dc2632a.jpg

Sorry, I thought I saw one.... THERE HE IS!! Behind the Beach Hut!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/...b861521fa0.jpg

No, no... Hang on... there, THERE !!! Coming out of the water!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/5...9569d7332d.jpg

and there... behind that tree!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/...86c5388fc0.jpg

******* hoodie gangs... there EVERYWHERE !!!

...and if you think I'm joking my wife took the one of Brighton Beach Huts this morning

Al
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigAPE
LOOKOUT!!! A Mugger coming to get you !!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1186/...416dc2632a.jpg

Sorry, I thought I saw one.... THERE HE IS!! Behind the Beach Hut!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/...b861521fa0.jpg

No, no... Hang on... there, THERE !!! Coming out of the water!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/5...9569d7332d.jpg

and there... behind that tree!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/...86c5388fc0.jpg

...and if you think I'm joking my wife took the one of Brighton Beach Huts this morning

Al
Hi Al,

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for sharing these images. We're hoping to move to Melbourne (when ???) and seeing these images has reminded us that the current hell of awaiting a visa and trying to sell our house will be well worth it when we finally get there.

Thanks again,

Colin & Toni
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:54 pm
Meow!

TigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud of

No one said it was easy....cue for a song...

Sorry to hear you are not having a great time settling in.

Try to look at the bigger picture.
Nothing is set in stone. If you dont like it change it. You have a job, thats a positive. Things will progress from there. You cant expect things to magically fall into place. I have been there, its hard.....believe me I know! Stick with it and hopefully it will work out.

Best wishes,
TF
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nicrock
Me and my partner arrived in Brisbane and we had already paid for accommodation in Forest lake, as this was close to where he was supposed to be working.

Arrives at the house and hated the area, very quiet and far away from everything. Really jetlagged and stupidly signed 6 month rental agreement. Hated the cottage as it was advertised as fully furnished and there was no furniture in 2 rooms and only a single bed! :curse:

Luckily I have a family friend who lives in Marrumba Downs and we have come to stay with them until the letter can find a new tenant - hopefully very soon so we don't lose all our money!

I'm so stressed and down and just don't know where we are going to live, My partner has now been offered a job near Brsbane airport. Have no idea how were supposed to choose a suburb or even have any success finding a rental when we are still tied to the one in Forest lake???

So home sick and don't know what to do
firstly welcome to australia! even tho i am not there at the moment!

and secondly congratulations to your partner on his new job at the airport.

it is like most things..it takes time to settle in and get used to all the newness. i imagine Brisbane seems very huge and overwhelming at the moment. Take some deep breathes and try and relax some.

you have family you are staying with so that is very helpful. this gives you some time and some space to start doing some research..talk to some real estate agents..tell them what your needs are...*close to the airport...1 or 2 bedroom...yard for a dog..close to some nightlife...or whatever it is you need. they will help you and guide you.

wishing you all the best!

maple leaf~
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nicrock
Me and my partner arrived in Brisbane and we had already paid for accommodation in Forest lake, as this was close to where he was supposed to be working.

Arrives at the house and hated the area, very quiet and far away from everything. Really jetlagged and stupidly signed 6 month rental agreement. Hated the cottage as it was advertised as fully furnished and there was no furniture in 2 rooms and only a single bed! :curse:

Luckily I have a family friend who lives in Marrumba Downs and we have come to stay with them until the letter can find a new tenant - hopefully very soon so we don't lose all our money!

I'm so stressed and down and just don't know where we are going to live, My partner has now been offered a job near Brsbane airport. Have no idea how were supposed to choose a suburb or even have any success finding a rental when we are still tied to the one in Forest lake???

So home sick and don't know what to do
Awww bless you I know how you feel believe me, we had alot of bad luck when we arrived too, only been here 2 weeks now but I woul happily get on a plane tomorrow. We're staying in crapmed accomodation til our rental becomes available 7th July and it's very hard, can't even wash my hair without hubby's help as otheriwse i'd be spending hours on it, homesickness is awful and although i've been homesick before nothingcompared to this, the kids are driving me crazy and it seems we are without accomodation for the night before we're supposed to move into the rental, our furniture won't arrive til at least 17th July or later depending on AQIS, found out i'm pregnant again since we've been here and feel like I don't want to have the baby here, been to a meet up which went ok nice people but made me miss my freinds from home even more.
I came out here cause it's hubby's dream to work here but every part of my body wants me togo home, my dad who was about to book to visit in August is now goign to try and come out sooner in the hopes he can help us settle here more, if not i'll prob be going home with him when his 6 weeks stay is up.

A lot of people will say you need to give it time and gve it longer to settle, I can see where they're coming from but I also know that when you're desperately homesick and unhappy every day here feels like a month time drags and it's unbearable. If you can get out and about and go somewhere nice in Queensland then you might find that relaxing a bit, are your friends supporting you? or could you ask them for help r advice in getting settled?
I kno it's hard believe me, we came out here knowing no one but an elderly relative of my husbands who we;ve seen for all of an hour, but she's not in a position to help at all. It helped me a little to think right lets break this down into manageable pieces shall we, if in owever many weeks/ months with your husband you agree to have a discussion on how you both feel things are going, whether you want to give it a little longer, whether you want your hubby to look at other areas etc, always keep talking to each other as it's important you both know how the other feels and decide on a cut off point where if this remains unbearable for you you serisouly discuss whether you want to go home.

Only you can decide what you want to do as only you know how you feel, all we can do is offer advice but believe me I don't really sleep, I cry daily and my feelings are unbearable to me so each day is a struggle and on top of that my baby seems to want to make me an involuntary recluse.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best

Jen
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Awww bless you I know how you feel believe me, we had alot of bad luck when we arrived too, only been here 2 weeks now but I woul happily get on a plane tomorrow. We're staying in crapmed accomodation til our rental becomes available 7th July and it's very hard, can't even wash my hair without hubby's help as otheriwse i'd be spending hours on it, homesickness is awful and although i've been homesick before nothingcompared to this, the kids are driving me crazy and it seems we are without accomodation for the night before we're supposed to move into the rental, our furniture won't arrive til at least 17th July or later depending on AQIS, found out i'm pregnant again since we've been here and feel like I don't want to have the baby here, been to a meet up which went ok nice people but made me miss my freinds from home even more.
I came out here cause it's hubby's dream to work here but every part of my body wants me togo home, my dad who was about to book to visit in August is now goign to try and come out sooner in the hopes he can help us settle here more, if not i'll prob be going home with him when his 6 weeks stay is up.

A lot of people will say you need to give it time and gve it longer to settle, I can see where they're coming from but I also know that when you're desperately homesick and unhappy every day here feels like a month time drags and it's unbearable. If you can get out and about and go somewhere nice in Queensland then you might find that relaxing a bit, are your friends supporting you? or could you ask them for help r advice in getting settled?
I kno it's hard believe me, we came out here knowing no one but an elderly relative of my husbands who we;ve seen for all of an hour, but she's not in a position to help at all. It helped me a little to think right lets break this down into manageable pieces shall we, if in owever many weeks/ months with your husband you agree to have a discussion on how you both feel things are going, whether you want to give it a little longer, whether you want your hubby to look at other areas etc, always keep talking to each other as it's important you both know how the other feels and decide on a cut off point where if this remains unbearable for you you serisouly discuss whether you want to go home.

Only you can decide what you want to do as only you know how you feel, all we can do is offer advice but believe me I don't really sleep, I cry daily and my feelings are unbearable to me so each day is a struggle and on top of that my baby seems to want to make me an involuntary recluse.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best

Jen

Hey jen, with that 2 year old and a baby on the way, you would love the aussie playgoups, just mums and toddlers getting together, went to them when we first arrived with littleun, will get the 2 year old out and you meeting other women. Ours used to be held in a old school hall, look in the phone book, or ask anyone with small kids.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hey jen, with that 2 year old and a baby on the way, you would love the aussie playgoups, just mums and toddlers getting together, went to them when we first arrived with littleun, will get the 2 year old out and you meeting other women. Ours used to be held in a old school hall, look in the phone book, or ask anyone with small kids.
Ok, I am one of the "give it time" brigade. I really do not think you can know that quickly.
We had NEVER been to Oz before. We got the visa on a tuesday and flew the following monday!! Landed wednesday and I started work on Thursday morning! That was tough!!! We have family here which made our lives settled. We have been here over three years and I can honestly say that I would never go back. I have even cancelled my UK nursing registration!!

But I haveto say this..........

* you WILL feel homesick - and I`ll be brutally honest. It never leaves you! WHy should it??? You miss your creature comforts. You simply have to learn to live with it!!!!!!!!
* You WILL miss your friends. You have built up the circle of friends probably over 20 odd years, That takes time to do again so do not expect to make friends instantly.
* If you dont like your suburb get onto www.ourbrisbane.com and research suburbs. My area is great - Sinnamon Park. Decide what you actually want from a suburb and if your one doesnt meet your expectations MOVE!!
* You WILL miss family. I used to cry at the TV when a kid hugged their parents cos I missed mine! You do get over that and/or learn to live with it. You made the choice to come here so you have to accept the responsibility that these things happen
* Get out and make friends, knock on your neighbours doors and introduce yourself. Dont wait for it to come to you cos it wont. Aussies arent like that. You have to put yourself out there!
* Accept the Oz way and try not to integrate into a Brit community. Learn about your new country and find out what you like about it

OH and I used to spend our days off just driving around the suburbs when we got here, seeing what we liked, finding new places to eat for lunch and dinner, just investigating!!

Get out there, explore your new community, Use OzCall vouchers to ring home as they are only 0.5c per minute. A $10 one gets you over 1000 minutes!!!

There is a honeymoon phase. I didnt get the chance to have that as I started work straight away. MAybe I was lucky but my life is 100 times better than in UK!! I see my OH more (we are both shift workers). If that is all that I ever got out of this move it would still be worth it.

Good Luck
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Smile Re: Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Hi all,

I so know where you are coming from too. We have been here just over two months now and the first few days, I was so upset, I just wanted to get back on the plane too.

Its exactly as someone has said, screaming kids stuck in a car drivng around looking at rentals, bickering with husband through fustration as you haven't got a clue how to do anything and it all seems so difficult to get going as you need this for that etc.

I keep saying to myself, just think how many people say they are going to move to OZ and never do. You did it, that shows a certain strength of character, either that or you are completely nuts - like me.

Suddenly it will all click into place and you won't have a list of a thousand things to sort.

I am based north of Brisbane in Ferny Hills, if you fancy a catch up or some good old pom humour, let me know.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:43 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Re: Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Al[/QUOTE]

Those are pictures of Queensland?..

Here are pictures of Melbourne...

http://abandonskip.blogspot.com/2008...ng-menace.html

THE DEFENCE RESTS ! ! !

Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RayZor

Al
Those are pictures of Queensland?..

Here are pictures of Melbourne...

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20..._470x397,2.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20..._300x361,0.jpg

http://abandonskip.blogspot.com/2008...ng-menace.html

http://images.indymedia.org/imc/adelaide/kidnaped.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20..._300x368,0.jpg

http://202.58.37.74/static/articles/...ence_a_320.jpg

THE DEFENCE RESTS ! ! !

[/QUOTE]

ADELAIDE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.