Reload this Page >

Arrived at last!!!

Arrived at last!!!

Old Dec 19th 2012, 4:24 am
Just Joined

robjem2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrived at last!!!

Hey all,

Me and my girlfriend have finally arrived in Australia having been granted our visa almost 10 months ago.

After months of looking at which suburbs to move to we decided on Point Cook. LOVE IT HERE!! We stayed in St Kilda in a short term let which was ok, close to the beach. We were very worried after reading that getting a rental was really hard and that you have to pay a few months upfront, Not the case! As long as you have all paper work ready and you apply on same day of viewing then your in with a chance, we viewed 10 rentals and applied for 5 and within 4 days we were offered 4 out of the 5, and we moved in within less than a week.

As for work im ( I was) a gas and renewable engineer and plumber, my girlfriend is a beautican.
The very first job she applied for she got, result!! and shes doing really well.
Me on the other hand not so easy, you need to apply for a licence out here, (DO NOT PAY FOR UK COURSES) i have applied and after a month of waiting i now have an interview date for my licence in January, fingers crossed!!

Be great to hear from people in Point Cook as we are new here, or if any body has any questions about makin the move be happy to help
Old Dec 19th 2012, 7:50 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived at last!!!

Congrats - it sounds like things are falling into place for you!

We are heading to NSW in May and my OH is a gas fitter. If you could keep us updated re: licences etc, that would be brilliant

Enjoy the Aussie summer!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Australia!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to say welcome too.......and happy Christmas of course.

I just hope it's not too hot for you
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:27 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

And another welcome.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Australia- hope the good news keeps coming.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robjem2012
As for work im ( I was) a gas and renewable engineer and plumber
What sort of work are you after in Melbourne Rob?
You have ticked 4 areas in high demand
Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Hey, im looking for work within the gas and heating industry, i have my reg and looking for work
Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kapri
Congrats - it sounds like things are falling into place for you!

We are heading to NSW in May and my OH is a gas fitter. If you could keep us updated re: licences etc, that would be brilliant

Enjoy the Aussie summer!
Hey, sorry taken so long to reply. I had my formal interview today at the Plumbing Industry Commission, they have granted my provisional licences for plumbing and gas works. Huge relief.

When i was in the UK all i kept reading about was how hard it is to gain these licences, not the case.
On arrival i arranged an interview with the plumbing commission which takes around a month to come through, they looked over the accreditations i have from the UK and agreed that i have enough experience that they would grant me my licences, this enables me to work anywhere within the gas, heating and plumbing industry.
Over the next 12 months, once i have decided what route im goin to take their are a few test to sit which they say would take less than 2 and half days in a test centre, after this you have a full registration.
They break everything up here, your either a roof plumber, sanitary plumber, gas fitter, or mechanical plumber, you need licences for all these. They did say most brits tend to do gas fitting and mechanical plumbing. It only cost $100.60 for the provisional licence. Not the 3000 pounds they ask for in the UK.
I hope this has been some help, and its not as difficult as its made out. Any more info just ask
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:00 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robjem2012
Hey, sorry taken so long to reply. I had my formal interview today at the Plumbing Industry Commission, they have granted my provisional licences for plumbing and gas works. Huge relief.

When i was in the UK all i kept reading about was how hard it is to gain these licences, not the case.
On arrival i arranged an interview with the plumbing commission which takes around a month to come through, they looked over the accreditations i have from the UK and agreed that i have enough experience that they would grant me my licences, this enables me to work anywhere within the gas, heating and plumbing industry.
Over the next 12 months, once i have decided what route im goin to take their are a few test to sit which they say would take less than 2 and half days in a test centre, after this you have a full registration.
They break everything up here, your either a roof plumber, sanitary plumber, gas fitter, or mechanical plumber, you need licences for all these. They did say most brits tend to do gas fitting and mechanical plumbing. It only cost $100.60 for the provisional licence. Not the 3000 pounds they ask for in the UK.
I hope this has been some help, and its not as difficult as its made out. Any more info just ask
Hi Rob

If you could post a bit more detail about your UK qualifications, who approved your licence in Aus, what was needed etc, that would be great.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Hi Rob

We are 'still' toying with the idea of making the move.
Our biggest hurdle or factor for not doing so has been issue of plumbing licence for dh, so really good to hear this.
Would be good to hear what qauls you have and also salary expectations once on provisional.
Just generally hearing how your getting on would be good.

Mandoz
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:22 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Just bear in mind that licences are state based, not federal, and so the experiences in Victoria may not be applicable to NSW or any other state.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

sdel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Just bear in mind that licences are state based, not federal, and so the experiences in Victoria may not be applicable to NSW or any other state.
National Occupational Licensing System is now in operation. The plumbing licence you receive can be used anywhere in Australia. The average cost to gain your Full Plumbing licence in Queensland will be around $3000. If you want to work for yourself you have to have a full licence (plumbing only) the gas licence you receive (if qualified) will be a full one.I have been a plumber/gasfitter in Brisbane for the past 7 years and now run my own business.Plumbing over here is very different, alot more manual labour. You will soon get used to using a shovel!!!