Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Canberra, ACT

Arrived in Canberra, ACT

Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

MSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to all
Default Re: Arrived in Canberra, ACT

Hi All,

Just thought of letting you know that I got my first job in Canberra exactly after 30 days of arrival. I'm starting next week. It was my first interview and the whole process took about 10 days. I wish everyone who are in Canberra best of luck in getting the first break.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:50 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MSGuy
Hi All,

Just thought of letting you know that I got my first job in Canberra exactly after 30 days of arrival. I'm starting next week. It was my first interview and the whole process took about 10 days. I wish everyone who are in Canberra best of luck in getting the first break.

Cheers.
That's real good news! Well done!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

MSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulry
That's real good news! Well done!

Thanks a lot Paul
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:12 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

More good and bad news:

Good: I found the first Canberra vacancy for an exactly-matching skill set to my own yesterday

Bad: Turns out that "only Australians need apply".

Sent my CV anyway in the hope that a suitable Aussie can't be found / my 15 years experience will outweigh this unjust rule

I wish if I could find out who the employer is.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really nice
Talking Re: Arrived in Canberra, ACT

More good and bad news:

Good: I found the first Canberra vacancy for an exactly-matching skill set to my own yesterday

Bad: Turns out that "only Australians need apply".

Sent my CV anyway in the hope that a suitable Aussie can't be found / my 15 years experience will outweigh this unjust rule

I wish if I could find out who the employer is.
Hey Paulry,
I got my ACT state sponsorship....Now I am getting nervous for my job hunt... 1 question one of my friends had...He applied a month before me and now he has got state sponsorship from both ACT and SA and he is wondering where to go...You said its really difficult to get a job in Canberra...Do you think it would be wise for him to move to Adelaide rather than Canberra :-)
regards
Bob
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Bob
Hey Paulry,
I got my ACT state sponsorship....Now I am getting nervous for my job hunt... 1 question one of my friends had...He applied a month before me and now he has got state sponsorship from both ACT and SA and he is wondering where to go...You said its really difficult to get a job in Canberra...Do you think it would be wise for him to move to Adelaide rather than Canberra :-)
regards
Bob
Hi Bob,

With network security skills you should be okay. My problem was mainly to do with having relatively rare skill set and my earlier reluctance to look for anything less than what I did in the UK. It's not improved much now that I've lowered my sights a little because I'm considered overqualified or transient in roles like IT support, etc. Still looking but I now have a great business idea that I'm confident will succeed - and if it doesn't then at least I'll have the web development skills that I'm picking up along the way.

Adelaide? Canberra? I'd choose Canberra because it's closer to Sydney, etc and I'm getting to know and love this city and like how very civilised it is here. But it's probably a toss of the coin decision really. Good luck and drop us a line if/when you arrive in Canberra.

Cheers,

Paul
Old Aug 29th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really niceBig Bob is just really nice
Talking Re: Arrived in Canberra, ACT

Hi Bob,

With network security skills you should be okay. My problem was mainly to do with having relatively rare skill set and my earlier reluctance to look for anything less than what I did in the UK. It's not improved much now that I've lowered my sights a little because I'm considered overqualified or transient in roles like IT support, etc. Still looking but I now have a great business idea that I'm confident will succeed - and if it doesn't then at least I'll have the web development skills that I'm picking up along the way.

Adelaide? Canberra? I'd choose Canberra because it's closer to Sydney, etc and I'm getting to know and love this city and like how very civilised it is here. But it's probably a toss of the coin decision really. Good luck and drop us a line if/when you arrive in Canberra.

Cheers,

Paul
Hey Paul
Apologies for delayed response as was busy with something..Thanks....I appreciate your views...Hope to meet ya soon..
cheers!
Big Bob
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Bob
Hey Paul
Apologies for delayed response as was busy with something..Thanks....I appreciate your views...Hope to meet ya soon..
cheers!
Big Bob
No worries Hope to see you here. You should find it easy enough to find work.

Meanwhile, I'm currently bogged down with answering selection criteria for two jobs that I'm applying for. ....Arhhhh!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Arrived in Canberra, ACT

No worries Hope to see you here. You should find it easy enough to find work.

Meanwhile, I'm currently bogged down with answering selection criteria for two jobs that I'm applying for. ....Arhhhh!
I got it mate... I am coming !!!!!