Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Canberra

Arrived in Canberra

Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:05 am
CANBERRA !!!

jajnlis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrived in Canberra

Have been here about 3 weeks, and thought I might put some stuff down in the hoep it might help someone somewhere :-)

UK House Sale

We found a buyer for our house while we were up in Port Douglas during our visa validation trip in April. Things could not have seemed to be better – the chain was of 3, and the bottom of the chain was a cahs buyer – or so we were led to believe. Everyone was pushing for a quick turnaround. But 10 days before the completion, and the day before the guy at the bottom of the chain was due to sign his contracts, he pulled out. We then had to cancel everything quickly which included the removals, notices at work, notices at school etc etc. 5 minutes after cancelling everything, the guy changed his mind and it was all on again. Then 2 days before completion, he turned around and said that he was 5k short of my buyers asking price…….by this time all of our stuff was in Tilbury Docks……….turns out the guy was a “property developer” and trying it on. Completion eventually went ahead a week later than planned.

Flights / Stopover

Singapore Airlines……….superb. Nothing more needs to be said on that one (we used them for our validation trip as well). This time we decided to stopover in Singapore for a couple of nights. Got a good deal on www.wotif.com and stayed at The Orchard which was superb. Spent a day walking the jetlag off down at the Island resort – sweated buckets due to the humidity – then spent the second day at the zoo and the evening at the night safari next door. Made e big difference stopping over for the kids…….

Unaccompanied Baggage

I spoke to Singapore Airlines about trying to get the increased baggage allowance even though we had already validated the visa. They said no way (which was expected). On enquiring, they would have charge GBP35 per kilo for excess baggage. I then took an executive decision to use Excess Baggage !! For 5 tea chest boxes, each weighing about 30 kilos, we paid about GBP 500. But in the boxes we packed cold weather clothing, toys and essentials to tie us over until the furniture arrived. The service was very efficient and hassle-free nearly. I would seriously recommend using them – it also saves the hassle of lugging great big suitcases around everywhere !

Arrival

Once we arrived in Canberra, we checked in to the only serviced apartments I could find due to the short notice. We spent a week in Forrest Inn and Apartments which were OK, but not to our liking. But beggars can’t be choosers as they say ! Halfway through the week, I got us booked in to the Bentley Suites just around the corner and these were much better. The first thing we did was validate our bank account (opened a Westpac account from UK). I had initiated the transfer of funds from UK using www.tranzfers.com and the funds were due in any time. There was a bit of a hiccup in that the UK people of Westpac had given me the incorrect BSB number (sort code) so quick phone calls all round !! But the bank were brilliant at this end and sorted us out in no time. We got our handycard there and then. Took another week for our mastercard debit cards to arrive but no drama……..
We found a rental within the first week. It was weird going to “open houses” and then having to apply for the lease…….but that is the way it is done I guess. We got accepted for 2 and chose the favourite ! Bloody cold at the moment though !!!!
We registered with Centerlink and Medicare and also got our driving licence – luckily all we had to do was prove residency, have an address and do a sight test !!!!!!
The kids started school a few days after arriving…..cruel I know but wanted them in a routine as quickly as possible. They absolutely love school……….really friendly and although the classes are a little behind what they were doing in the UK, I don’t think they are far enough behind to cause any issues. We bought a new car for the good lady wife and a second hand one for me. The pooch arrived in quarantine on 12th July but we are not sure about going up to visit her and then coming away again – not sure who that would hit the hardest…..us or the dog ! She is due to be out of quarantine on 11th August, so counting the days. We used Ryslip to ship her over and I cannot recommend them enough either (www.ryslip.co.uk) Our furniture is due in Sydney next Sunday (22nd) and we should hopefully have it by 2nd week in August. So far that has been a pleasant enough experience – we used John Mason and I have already been in touch with Wridgways over here. Then the fun bit of unpacking and re-assembling starts !!!!!!!
Shopping is an experience – people actually seem genuinely happy in their work and are really friendly. It is not as expensive as some people on here would make out, but then we have not gone the designer label route – just “stuff”. Target are good and cheap, Myer and David Jones are fab……….food shopping (for us) is at Woolworths and while it is off-putting seeing the weekly shop price in the region of $150, it soon dawns on you that if u want to compare, then divide it by 2.3 or so !!!!!!!!!!! Fruit can be expensive though………
We have done the mountains and sea so far, and plan to do at least one trip a week – the snow this weekend which should be good after last night’s “dusting” !!!!!!!!!

Hope that lot helps………
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:32 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrived in Canberra

You've arrived!

Good to hear you have a rental and the kids are settled in school and things have gone to plan.!

We leave from LHR tomorrow, Canberra bound!
Carmel
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:57 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I am off to Canberra also and it's lovely to see a post about Canberra. I feel a little better after reading your post as my 'to do list' is pretty much the same as yours. could i ask what school the kids are going to as my long shortlist is now 15. Good to hear about you picking up a rental so quickly as that has been worrying me a bit. I'm not off until next year but it really isn't that far away now.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I am off to Canberra also and it's lovely to see a post about Canberra. I feel a little better after reading your post as my 'to do list' is pretty much the same as yours. could i ask what school the kids are going to as my long shortlist is now 15. Good to hear about you picking up a rental so quickly as that has been worrying me a bit. I'm not off until next year but it really isn't that far away now.
thought I'd say hi, we are off to Canberra in the next few months, so you are not alone- have a look at the meet up forum, quite a few folks all ready there or in the process of going! What age are your kids? Emma AKA Black cat
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:41 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

My son is 9. I've had the best news today. We are going through the CAFCASS process and our interviews went really well but the absent father had his interview today and has not opposed the move. I simply can't believe it.

I have spent this afternoon looking at shops online to get an idea of furniture and white goods prices. Does everyone else know where they are settling?