Reload this Page >

arrive in Perth end of november

arrive in Perth end of november

Old Sep 10th 2002, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

syropes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default arrive in Perth end of november

Hi,

I am arriving in Perth this November. Been there 3 times now, got some good mates there (putting me to start with) so all looks ok.
Have spent a bit of time checking out comments about the place, here on these forums. The thing that concerns me is work really..

I am (supposedly) an IT professional. Cisco Networks is my game. By the looks of things (same here in the UK at the mo) the jobs are as rare as chickens teeth. This being the case, I am quite happy to do any work just to make sure that I keep a roof over my head and food on the table till a better job comes along.Can anybody let me know what the chances are of picking up labouring, bar temp work in Perth?
Any advice about what I should be doing as soon as I arrive would be good as well, Would like to hit the ground running.
I really appreciate constructive advice on any part of this 'living in Oz' thing.

cheers for your time

Sy.
Old Sep 10th 2002, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: arrive in Perth end of november

Hi
Have re-attached an old postings of mine- contains various web sites for Perth and should help you find some jobs. Best to wait til you get there for temp work. Normally quite a bit going on for manual trades. Probs get some labouring whilst waiting for IT job.

Cheers
Nicky

PS if you want to email me your details [email protected] i will put you on our list of Perth emigrants!

www.abc.net.au - useful on Australian news
www.thewest.com.au - useful for local news
www.aussiemove.com - oz migration, suburb profiles etc- still in progress but some good stuff on there e.g. median house prices
www.streetsofperth.com.au- business directory, all newsapapers, education, recreation etc etc
www.commbank.com.au- Commonwealth bank website
www. perth.directory.citysearch.co.au- professional and careers, find a business etc
www.startingpage.com.au- all sorts from newspapers to Yellow and White pages links.
www.whatson.com.au- business events, leisure, gigs, theme parks etc
www.whereis.com.au- road maps of perth, great for looking up roads on maps, and looking at areas.
www.aussiehome.com.au- properties
www.reiwa.com.au- site which contains all listings from all agents on properties state wide.
www.gbteam.com.au- more property

Any other good ones please stick them down and post back to me on this thread.

Cheers

Nicky
xx

Originally posted by syropes:
Hi,

I am arriving in Perth this November. Been there 3 times now, got some good mates there (putting me to start with) so all looks ok.
Have spent a bit of time checking out comments about the place, here on these forums. The thing that concerns me is work really..

I am (supposedly) an IT professional. Cisco Networks is my game. By the looks of things (same here in the UK at the mo) the jobs are as rare as chickens teeth. This being the case, I am quite happy to do any work just to make sure that I keep a roof over my head and food on the table till a better job comes along.Can anybody let me know what the chances are of picking up labouring, bar temp work in Perth?
Any advice about what I should be doing as soon as I arrive would be good as well, Would like to hit the ground running.
I really appreciate constructive advice on any part of this 'living in Oz' thing.

cheers for your time

Sy.
Old Sep 10th 2002, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

pateln is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: arrive in Perth end of november

Hi this, I am emigrating to Perth, sometime early yr, dependent on my PR being granted (applied Aug 2001)

I have been building up a list of websites myselg, noticed you did not have this one below, check it out

- Gateway to Perth

http://www.gtp.com.au/

On a personal note i would be more than welcome adding my email to your list, its [email protected].

But i feel whilst its nice having someone you know when you arrive, I want to make friends with not only ex-pats, it will make things to easy, you need to be bold and make friends with locals. Sometimes its better you are in position to be forced to do this , rather than in 'comfort' zone of already have a ready 'expat' circle of friends.

Do not get me wrong, on the whole I agree with what you are trying to achieve, and I would not be asked to be on this list, if I did not think it was good idea. Just want people not to have to high expectations.
Old Sep 10th 2002, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

pateln is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is another website which is not on Nicky's list

its an accommodation website

http://www.staywa.net.au/

PS Nicky, I like to thank you for taking the initative and buidling up a list of websites and contacts

WELL DONE!!
Old Sep 10th 2002, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Oo- yer got me blushing now. Thanks- will look on that web site right now.

Originally posted by pateln:
Here is another website which is not on Nicky's list

its an accommodation website

http://www.staywa.net.au/

PS Nicky, I like to thank you for taking the initative and buidling up a list of websites and contacts

WELL DONE!!
Old Sep 10th 2002, 5:42 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

WELL DONE!! [/QUOTE]

Yes well done indeed,I don't care if Tipper calls you a bimbo behind yer back, most of us think yer o'k(ish) & Mrs B would like to thank you for that "Spunky Ozzy hunks in Trunks" website
But could you try not to keep quoting whole threads,even I can do that & I'm using a rebuilt zx81 that PREAD sold me.

p.s Hey Syropes -is that your trade,as i sold all me Butt wigs thinking i'd be in Perth by now,
Old Sep 10th 2002, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: arrive in Perth end of november

Yes well done indeed,I don't care if Tipper calls you a bimbo behind yer back,

i said they are the ozzy osbournes family of this 4rum.
u no wisten, any way just put the house up for sale uw scarry.
i had a paper shop once but that blew away.
then i had a row of corner shops but that just confused the buyers. the patels.
so no pre pr letter yet but occupation on the skill matching lets or somthing in south auss, so might a ply for that and say i no like it their and go and play out in perth what does they think.
tipper bimbo lover.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

p.s Hey Syropes -is that your trade,as i sold all me Butt wigs thinking i'd be in Perth by now, [/QUOTE]

hey BaldButts.... your being to cryptic for me! trade is IT for my sins .. wigs?? lost me there!

cheers

Sy
Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:23 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by syropes:
Hi,

cheers for your time

Sy.
You may find both but , an IT guy labouring good luck to you.Most jobs are in Saturdays West Australian , just trying to gauge the face of your next employer when he says what position do you have right now , pulling pints or carrying bricks .
Its important to get start in IT at any level here before you miss the boat , there are jobs here , one of our IT guys left last week took him 2 weeks to get new job so have a good when you get here.Best of Luck

Old Sep 11th 2002, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

You may find both but , an IT guy labouring good luck to you.Most jobs are in Saturdays West Australian , just trying to gauge the face of your next employer when he says what position do you have right now , pulling pints or carrying bricks .
Its important to get start in IT at any level here before you miss the boat , there are jobs here , one of our IT guys left last week took him 2 weeks to get new job so have a good when you get here.Best of Luck

Cheers for the advice, I have checked a load of web sites for Cisco/network related work in Perth, it seems pretty dry. I agree I will do almost any IT job just to get the'foot in the door'. The biggest worry is watching my hard earnt cash that I am coming over with disappearing while I wait for the job I want. Hence the pint pulling or labouring (have done it before so it won't be too bad ) Hopefully they will understand when they check my CV!
Will check out the saturdays western Aus paper to see what is going on. cheers for that.
I have been given lists of stuff that I should do as soonas my feet hit the ground in OZ. Medicare and tax no. are the most important I have been told.
Accomadation I have got sorted for a while at least. Is there anything else you can think i should be doing pretty much straight away when I arrive?

Again thanks!

sy.