Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To argue for MODL or not/points....advice needed

To argue for MODL or not/points....advice needed

Old Apr 15th 2002, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default To argue for MODL or not/points....advice needed

Hi guys and gals.....

Well I have just got my assessment back from the ACS and have been assessed as suitable for migration (WooHoo!)...but (why does there always have to be a but)...I didnt get the code I needed for MODL so have dropped 5 points.

Now I still have 115 points without MODL, I am debating whether to try and argue the case with ACS to get my code changed (they list my experience as Support Manager which is actually 1224 which is on MODL...but give me code for Systems Manager 2231-11).

Question is this...do I spend another $300 in the hope they change the code to give me a bit more of a buffer (incase points go up or something) or do I think...well 5 points extra is enough of a buffer and leave it.

What you reckon??....any advice/thoughts would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 15th 2002, 11:05 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: To argue for MODL or not/points....advice needed

Hi Mr Fibble,

I would save myself the $300, you have had a positive assessment and still have 115 points. Get your application in, as they seem to processing quite quickly from Adelaide.

Even if they raise the points, which from what I have read is unlikely you still have 5 points to play with and the chances are they would only raise it to 115.

At the end of the day what you have been assessed as doesn't mean you will work as that when you get there.

My husband is a mechanic by trade but was assessed as a "General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson" why? who knows. Anyway we have had our visavs approved so it doesn't really matter, he will hopefully be finding work as a mechanic.

Susan
Old Apr 15th 2002, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the reply...will start bunging together all the stuff for the main application now!!! (That ahould be fun)
Old Apr 15th 2002, 6:30 pm
Chris

Regarding the points, is it a good idea to try for more than 110, however that might
be achieved?

I have exactly 110, that is unlesss ACS decide I am an "IT Manager". I was going to
put "Systems Manager" on the form which is not on the MODL but more accurately
reflects what I do.

I did not want to be blatantly points-grabbing by trying for IT Manager as I thought
it might count against me...?

Should I go for the MODL Skill and risk being downgraded or is having bang on 110
points not a problem?

Thx Chris

Old Apr 19th 2002, 8:00 pm
Mystic Biscuit

Hey congratulations on getting a positive assessment!

I am just starting my ACS application now - but I'm really struggling on getting
started on Section 2 of the form ( the part with the CBOK stuff) - can you give me
any pointers? How much detail did you put on your form?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Cheers

M.

"MrFlibbleUK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi guys and gals.....
    >
    > Well I have just got my assessment back from the ACS and have been assessed as
    > suitable for migration (WooHoo!)...but (why does there always have to be a but)...I
    > didnt get the code I needed for MODL so have dropped 5 points.
    >
    > Now I still have 115 points without MODL, I am debating whether to try and argue
    > the case with ACS to get my code changed (they list my experience as Support
    > Manager which is actually 1224 which is on MODL...but give me code for Systems
    > Manager 2231-11).
    >
    > Question is this...do I spend another $300 in the hope they change the code to give
    > me a bit more of a buffer (incase points go up or something) or do I think...well 5
    > points extra is enough of a buffer and leave it.
    >
    > What you reckon??....any advice/thoughts would be very very much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 19th 2002, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would go for the IT manager...if they dont think you are in that category they will change it (I put mine as IT manager)...it wont go against you if you try for something in the MODL code....if you look at the description of the IT manager position it mentions a few job titles that are pretty close to that of a Systems Manager...go for it!

Hopefully the change in SOL and MODL is instead of raising points!
Old Apr 19th 2002, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Erm....refresh my memory what was the CBOk bit??? Basically I photocopied all the qualifications I had, got VERY detailed references from past employers (very important...especially for the last 4 years)...ie what I did what I used..everything!. I modified my CV a little bit to beef it up (more detail) and that was it.
Old Apr 20th 2002, 9:09 am
ndaltonb

Seconded. Get it in asap. You have enough points at the moment and you only need to argue IF they change the points.

Go for it.

Nigel db

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
Hi Mr Fibble,

you have had a positive assessment and still have 115 points. Get your application in, as they seem to processing quite quickly from Adelaide.

Susan

Old Apr 20th 2002, 9:30 pm
Jaj

I would go further and say he only needs to worry if the points went to 120, which is
a lot less likely (assuming he's sure about the 115 points). However, if he wants to
argue with ACS he can do this after application, but need to do so before the
application is assessed, as I don't think it's possible to change nominated
occupation after that point (unless you apply again).

Jeremy

>On 20 Apr 2002 15:30:08 GMT, ndaltonb <[email protected]> wrote:

>heading downunder 2002 wrote:
    > > Hi Mr Fibble, you have had a positive assessment and still have 115 points. Get
    > > your application in, as they seem to processing quite quickly from Adelaide.
    > > Susan
    >
    >Seconded. Get it in asap. You have enough points at the moment and you only need to
    >argue IF they change the points.
    >
    >Go for it.
    >
    >Nigel db