British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Areas in Brisbane Bayside area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/areas-brisbane-bayside-area-705680/)

Kim67 Feb 18th 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Areas in Brisbane Bayside area?

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 9185403)
Coorparoo, mistaken for thinking you were in the country... :rofl: With respect, I hope you are joking. Have you ever been to the country? I can assure you, it is very different to Coorparoo. Very.

I grew up in the Pilbara region and then the hills of Perth on acreage, so yes I have been to the country. Here in our pocket of Coorparoo, we have a large area of bushland across the road (Whites Hill 53 acres of bushland and reserve), loads of trees and when we sit on the neighbours deck overlooking the reserve and with all the lorikeets and kookaburras etc around, you can be mistaken for thinking you're in a semi-rural community rather than an inner city suburb.

spalen Feb 18th 2011 6:51 pm

We live in cleveland area . Travel to CBD is rubbish in traffic it does take an hour its pretty constant. I can cycle it in 90mins :-) wish i had the cahoonas to buy a motorbike but i scare myself cycling let alone on a grown ups bike.

The good things about bayside - there are gazillions of facilties that are under used so you get appointments easy - doctors, hospitals, x-ray, MRI scanners, schools, etc easy and available. A ton of waterside areas, parks, walks , etc. Lots of shopping facilities within 5 or 20 mnis of driving if you need bigger shopping.

I do often think it would be nice to live closer to city but then remember the pain in the ass of living in congested crowded areas and the fact that when i go to use the swimming pool to train there are 3 50metre pools within 10minutes of my house here. Its crazy.

But if you dont plan to use hospitals, doctors, schools, shops, swimming pools, parks, look at the sea, or drive on the roads, then there are no advantages to living out here :-) I am quite envious of mates in norman park in the city who live on brisbane river and can ride to the office in 15mnutes or catch the ferry to work - something I used to love doing in London very cosmopolitan start to the day.

A really cool place to live that would be a zillion times easier commute wise is Wynnum. I may have exaggerated the zillion.

fish.01 Feb 19th 2011 1:18 am

Originally Posted by spalen (Post 9186997)
I do often think it would be nice to live closer to city but then remember the pain in the ass of living in congested crowded areas and the fact that when i go to use the swimming pool to train there are 3 50metre pools within 10minutes of my house here. Its crazy.

But if you dont plan to use hospitals, doctors, schools, shops, swimming pools, parks, look at the sea, or drive on the roads, then there are no advantages to living out here :-) I am quite envious of mates in norman park in the city who live on brisbane river and can ride to the office in 15mnutes or catch the ferry to work - something I used to love doing in London very cosmopolitan start to the day.

I think you have mixed up Brisbane with London...easy mistake ;) Many Brisbane inner city areas aren't "congested crowded areas"...it is often suburban right to the city edge with similar and often far better access to the things you mention closer in. Nothing wrong with the bayside just don't think many of the advantages sometimes suggested are any different from a lot of Brisbane....they are available right across a lot of Brisbane and for many it would be better to look right across Brisbane than assume you need to move that far out. I think the bayside is great for people into fishing and boating though. For example, living near three 50 metres is not that unique....if you live in Paddington in the inner city you are close to at least seven 50 metre pools open to the public, elite training squads etc + other 25 metre pools...just as one example.

Grayling Feb 19th 2011 9:41 am

Swings and roundabouts

i have lived in Toowong and now Bayside.

In Toowong I was a few minutes from the city but the drive to work was shite....I work on the east side.

I was close to mount Coot-tha and the area was lovely......but the house was two bedroomed and ridiculously expensive.....here I have around an acre of garden and jungle:thumbdown: and my house overlooks the bay with spectacular views and my garden path leads down to the water:cool:

That said the traffic to work is still shite and the place feels a bit remote at times. There are some areas of bayside where I would not want to live as they are pretty bogan and hoons seem to love it here.

Most people would not have a house like we have so I can not compare what living on one of the estates would be like.

We prefer it here because it suits us as semi retired but, if we had a young family then I think the city would be better....we also have a huge shed for my boat......but I have just spent an hour mowing just part of our lawn:thumbdown: and am sweating my bollocks off.

there are pluses and minuses in both areas but, as always, the lifestyle you can have very much depends on your finances.