Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas in Brisbane Bayside area?

Areas in Brisbane Bayside area?

Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:12 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Areas in Brisbane Bayside area?

Originally Posted by bcworld
That budget might buy you a lot of house in Vicky Point, Redland Bay or Mount Cotton but to me anyway, these areas seem so much further away from things than even the rest of the Redlands. That in itself could also be a selling point I suppose.
It is. Living a decent distance from the City is preferable, but then only being 30 to 60 minutes away when needed, plus being under 1 hour to the Gold Coast, well, in my books that's better than City living any day

Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is. Living a decent distance from the City is preferable, but then only being 30 to 60 minutes away when needed, plus being under 1 hour to the Gold Coast, well, in my books that's better than City living any day
It's less than one hour from the Gold Coast here too.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
It's less than one hour from the Gold Coast here too.
Sure is, I think it might often be quicker actually (from my experience of going from Holland Park).
Old Feb 18th 2011, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the "decent distance from the City is preferable" reference but then we all want different things. Brisbane is green, safe and suburban almost right up to the CBD on some sides. Can't see what you gain 25km away compared to 5k or 10km away.

Almost everyone on the southside is <1hr away from Gold Coast regardless of where they live? It would almost certainly take longer to get to the Gold Coast from Cleveland than the inner southside despite being a similar distance due to the roads from Cleveland. Unless you mean by boat then I would give it to Cleveland

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 18th 2011 at 3:05 am.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:02 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Each to their own, but if I had to choose between one of those suburbs and Bayside, I'd choose Bayside every time. That said, I do hate the City and couldn't stand the idea of raising kids in some of the 'burbs that you mentioned. (I'm fringeside and chomping at the bit to escape further.) Also, I wouldn't consider Alexandra Hills (even though it's getting out towards Bayland.) Though I understand the local features some good bands and beer... I'm not sure if that's what the littlies would appreciate.

We live in Alex Hills and love it here. As with everything it's not to everyone's taste. It's mainly a working class burb with owner occupiers....which is sometimes better than more affluent areas that's full of rentals and lots of coming's and going's. It's close to all amenities and public transport as well as a choice of schools. So for us anyway it's just fine....
Old Feb 18th 2011, 10:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
I don't understand the "decent distance from the City is preferable" reference but then we all want different things. Brisbane is green, safe and suburban almost right up to the CBD on some sides. Can't see what you gain 25km away compared to 5k or 10km away.
The beaches for young kids is one thing, less traffic is another, the closeness of boat ramps is yet another. And of course it is cheaper

Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:35 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nic74
Hi

We are a family of 4 (kids aged 11 and 3) looking at areas such as Ormiston & Cleveland and further down to Redland Bay. We are wanting areas with nice large houses with decent sized gardens and family friendly suburbs, basically the aussie dream house. Our budget would be around $800k but we will be renting first anyway.
Good school is a must and as we are catholic we would look at the private schools as well as state.
My husband will be working in the city but also on the GC occasionally and as he commutes an 1hr 45 mins each way already would consider living about 1hr commute away.
Looking at websites such as realestate.com executive living in city suburbs you are looking at £1mill + for property with not much land so that is why thinking of moving to bayside plus the fact being near water will make us feel like we are living in oz.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I'm probably going to get shot down for saying this but the bayside is ok if your old or you have very small children. I used to live there and didn't realise how shit it was until I left. I think the whole bayside area is for OAP's or those that don't mind spending weekends at the playground.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:52 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I'd go with fish too. People go on about hating the city - in my pocket of Coorparoo, you could be mistaken for thinking you were in the country, so many trees and bushland, large blocks and heaps of wildlife, yet only a couple of km's to town. Best of both worlds.
Coorparoo, mistaken for thinking you were in the country... With respect, I hope you are joking. Have you ever been to the country? I can assure you, it is very different to Coorparoo. Very.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

nic74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice all is food for thought and all have pros and cons. I suppose it's just what you want out of your life down under.
I know Brisbane is not a beach side area as such, but feel we would like to see a bit of water whilst living in Australia and also with hubby having a busy job,relaxing at the weekend with family in quiter suburbs is what is needed. plus bayside breezes do sound nice.
We have relatives (in laws second cousins) living in alex hills, wellington point and redland bay so have their perspective of what the areas are like but it is nice to see what british expats think of the area.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

It would almost certainly take longer to get to the Gold Coast from Cleveland than the inner southside despite being a similar distance due to the roads from Cleveland.
It takes me exactly 55 mins from Cleveland to Robina in the Gold Coast

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
It takes me exactly 55 mins from Cleveland to Robina in the Gold Coast

Cheers
B!K3R
Exactly, a little longer than from coorparoo. Thanks b1k3r
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The beaches for young kids is one thing, less traffic is another, the closeness of boat ramps is yet another. And of course it is cheaper
Yeah i agree the bayside is great for boaties. That's when I think it comes into its own if you are into that...though that is a bayside specific thing where I thought you were talking about living 25km away in general being preferable.

I think if you work in the city living 25km out introduces far more traffic into your life. I escaped the traffic by moving inner city...I now have far less traffic in my life 25km out is good if you don't have to leave the area.....though I think that applies to most areas not that far out as well.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

BrisDubBris is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost everyone on the southside is <1hr away from Gold Coast regardless of where they live? It would almost certainly take longer to get to the Gold Coast from Cleveland than the inner southside despite being a similar distance due to the roads from Cleveland. Unless you mean by boat then I would give it to Cleveland
Good point. Our house is at the Grange on the north side. Only 5 km to the GPO but we have parks & bike ways all around, a stream with ducks & fish in it & you can hear birds all around.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

I think if you work in the city living 25km out introduces far more traffic into your life.
I have to totally agree about this. I have been travelling to CBD from Cleveland for a month now and door to door takes 1hr 10mins by train, not including driving to the train station.

I have also driven to CBD by car, left home at 7am and arrived at my CBD location at 8:15am. Traffic was aweful.

A couple of mates whom I have met here and work in the CBD all say the same thing. They are driving by car early to a train station near CBD, then take the train. It takes then around an hour too. They complain about it...

In my case, I'll be working in South bank. It takes me 1hr 15 mins door to door and that includes, driving to train station, taking the train to South Brisbane and than a bus.

Having said that, I will buy a motorbike in a few months and that will take me 35 to 40 min door to door. With the car, traffic free, it takes around 45 mins.

Bayside is nice, quite, peaceful, very green, people are really friendly, cheaper houses, you got 'beaches' etc etc, I love it here, but the commute to CBD is a REAL pain. When I'll get a bike, it will be better

If I had to choose again....I would defo choose somewhere in between...

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:52 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Travel can be a big factor but for us the chill out time this side of the city outweighs this. I work beside the QEII hospital which is southside so depending upon the time of day will determine the route I take. Hubby works at Auchenflower and does the train thing (has to change trains which is the downside) but suits what he wants. Over here we have the bay, parklands, walks etc, close enough to get to the city (nights out in the city not necessarily an easy option as taxi costs approx $60 to get home) but then again we don't want all that city clubbing nowadays....but far enough away to really feel like you're days off are away from it all......Depends upon what you're after.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.