Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas between Brissy and Gold Coast

Areas between Brissy and Gold Coast

Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:45 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas between Brissy and Gold Coast

Originally Posted by fish.01
Given the usual commute is 5 days out of 7 have you considered living in Brisbane close to work and driving to the beach on the weekends when the traffic is much lighter? Brisbane is a lot bigger city so more variety than the Gold Coast in entertainment etc. I think the commute at peak times would be a huge drag on my life and it is just going to get worse.

Yeah really good point....plenty of lovely burbs on the South side, with good schools etc.....easy commute into CBD and can be as little as 30 mins from the beaches at the northern end of the Goldie........

Just as a pointer, we are in Shailer Park, surrounded by good schools (JPC / KP), i would say 30-35 mins drive to CBD and the about the same to the Beaches....ideal

No train line though, but there is a good bus route from the Hyperdome.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:25 pm
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MrsE
Hi Dave

You are brave booking flights before visas and not having been before either -good for you, live a little!

We did find our reccie really useful. We had a couple of weeks in Perth which we thought was lovely but not for us though. We then went to Sydney, not with a view to live, just to do the touristy bit - that was amazing! We then had a month in Queensland, looking at Brisbane, Goldcoast and Sunshine coast and decided that Goldcoast was the place for us! Goldcoast seems to have all that we were looking for. The beaches are beautiful and the rainforests were amazing! And the climate suits us too! Any Qs feel free to PM me.

Carla

Yeah, my wife and I always tend to do things the hardway, add the extra bit of stress just for the hell of it

Is your husband going to be driving or planning to take the train/bus? I think finding a rental near a train station is up there for us. I enjoy driving but could work on the train.

I think the Gold Coast is going to be perfect for us from what we can see. The other challange is finding a position in a nice school for my wife, I think that is going to be the hard part as she doesn't want to be further than 15 mins away. At the moment she is communiting 2 hours, there and back each day, which isn't much of a life. Hopefully we can improve on that?

Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dave.McLeod
Yeah, my wife and I always tend to do things the hardway, add the extra bit of stress just for the hell of it

Is your husband going to be driving or planning to take the train/bus? I think finding a rental near a train station is up there for us. I enjoy driving but could work on the train.

I think the Gold Coast is going to be perfect for us from what we can see. The other challange is finding a position in a nice school for my wife, I think that is going to be the hard part as she doesn't want to be further than 15 mins away. At the moment she is communiting 2 hours, there and back each day, which isn't much of a life. Hopefully we can improve on that?

Depends on where you want to go but there are plenty of good schools available on the goldy but you may end up paying for private, most of my friends do and I dont think it is as expensive as it is in the UK. However I dont have kids so dont shoot the messenger. Where I live in coomera waters there are two good private schools 10 minute drive away.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsE
Thanks Sean - we saw Coomera when we were out there on our reccie - it was lovely. Is there a train station there? - we also found out that the cost of parking in Brissie was horrendous

Hi - how funny eh! Good luck! When are you guys hoping to move out that way? How old are your children? We have two girls aged 8 and 7. Have you been in Melbourne long?
Hi mrs e, yes, there is a train station / cattle station at coomera. With all of the new houses that are going up they really need to do something about the overcrowding on the trains tho. If I catch the 6 to 630am trains its not too bad but anything on the way back from other than central station and you are most likely standing or facing the wrath of an elderly lady with a stick if you are in a safe seat for elderly people. Kind of think making myself up to look like a 90 year old would help on the way back, the same as having a blow up doll in the passenger seat of the car (airplanesque) so I can go back in the T2 lane.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:27 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

have you considered living in Brisbane close to work and driving to the beach on the weekends when the traffic is much lighter?
Don't you believe it! Weekend traffic on the Pac Hwy can be just as bad as commuter rush hour, as Brisbane residents head down to the beaches. And if you are going to commute then, if possible, do what seanpears99 does and get to work early and leave early. I live 14km from my work and the journey takes me about 20mins if I leave home before 6:30am and 35-40mins if I leave after 7:30am! Ditto going home in the afternoon. That's not using the Pac Hwy which at rush hour can become the largest car park in Queensland.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Don't you believe it! Weekend traffic on the Pac Hwy can be just as bad as commuter rush hour, as Brisbane residents head down to the beaches. And if you are going to commute then, if possible, do what seanpears99 does and get to work early and leave early. I live 14km from my work and the journey takes me about 20mins if I leave home before 6:30am and 35-40mins if I leave after 7:30am! Ditto going home in the afternoon. That's not using the Pac Hwy which at rush hour can become the largest car park in Queensland.
I do believe it....I've lived the dream

Yeah I agree...I think the operative phrase is "can be".....driving up and down in peak everyday compared to sometimes on the weekend...no comparison IMO. Out of peak is better but the peak hour is starting earlier and earlier these days...

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 30th 2010 at 1:13 am.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:32 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe it....I've lived the dream

Yeah I agree...I think the operative phrase is "can be".....driving up and down in peak everyday compared to sometimes on the weekend...no comparison IMO. Out of peak is better but the peak hour is starting earlier and earlier these days...
The morning peak also varies according to the season, in winter it tends to be later when no-one wants to get out of bed.

The Logan<->CBD commute is part of the reason I am currently looking for work closer to home or against the flow ... saw a job down at Loganholme that looked ideal a while ago ... ah, timing ...
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:01 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
We spend a lot of time driving down the freeway to the Gold coast, and only a couple of occasions have we been held up.
The other great thing is that the service road is pretty quick to, so if the freeway is backed up, hop off and onto the service road.