Reload this Page >

Areas to Avoid in Hobart

Areas to Avoid in Hobart

Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

spikeyjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Areas to Avoid in Hobart

Hi,

I am new to all new still so please be gentle!

My wife and 2 sons are hoping to move to Hobart, and I have read a couple of threads which say there are some areas top avoid in the Hobart area.

I would really appreciate if anyone could provide some advice on the good and bad areas around Hobart.

We need to be within 30 mins drive of Hobart for work, but our only requirement is a nice area with good schools.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Spikey
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:44 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to Avoid in Hobart

Originally Posted by spikeyjo
Hi,

My wife and 2 sons are hoping to move to Hobart, and I have read a couple of threads which say there are some areas top avoid in the Hobart area.

I would really appreciate if anyone could provide some advice on the good and bad areas around Hobart.

We need to be within 30 mins drive of Hobart for work, but our only requirement is a nice area with good schools.

Spikey
Welcome to BE

Never been to Tazzy, most of them are probs de-icing their cars at the moment, and packing a bikini for later this morning.. give them chance
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:18 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Spikey
Hobart's absolutely titchy. I would've thought that you'd be within 30 mins drive of any part of the city from any other part of the city.

I had no idea that Hobart had bad areas. It's never featured on the news in any context that I'm aware of, since I've been here (9 months).

A friend of mine who lived in my lil' English village was from Tassie. She said that if I ever decide to move down that way, that I should check out the small settlements along the coast to the immediate South. Not having been to Tassie, I couldn't possibly comment, though I hope me ol' mucker Demeter will come up with the goods as she lives there.

Last edited by tonyk38; Dec 8th 2007 at 10:24 am.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Welcome to BE

Never been to Tazzy, most of them are probs de-icing their cars at the moment, and packing a bikini for later this morning.. give them chance
what's a car? got enough trouble with the donkey....
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Spikey
areas with a high bogan/hoon/burglary count include glenorchy, moonah, derwent park, gagebrook, bridgewater, and risdon.

having said that, parts of those locations have some lovely quiet streets.

where i work in kingston is generally regarded a pleasant place, but it has a small locality of 3 or 4 streets which are recommended to be avoided if you want a quiet life.

unfortunately australia hasn't adopted a policy of putting all the people you don't want to live next door to in one area unlike the USA which has earmarked North America (excluding Canada) for that purpose
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all
Wink Re: Areas to Avoid in Hobart

I lived in Tassie all my life until 14 months ago when we got sick and tired of the weather and decided to move to the Gold Coast, Qld.

The previous poster is spot on with areas to avoid. Gagebrook is by far the worst place to live, you definately do not want to live there. Clarendon Vale is also quite bad, its over the road from Rokeby, really both places not that nice with lots of Govt. housing there. I lived in Hobart for 12 months before we moved interstate.

Kingston is ok but they have a few hoons out that way although you are close to an ok beach at Kingston. Taroona is ok. Sandy Bay is a great area with good schools both private and public.

If you want to live on the Eastern shore Bellerive is very very nice and so is Howrah but not keen on Clarence High, that school has gone down hill a bit. I speak from first hand experience regarding that school! Lindisfarne is also nice. I lived in Howrah and it only took me 20-25 mins to get to work at the University in Sandy Bay. Warrane and Mornington are also on the Eastern SHore and are only so so as well, there are better areas to live.

North Hobart, Dynyrnne, Battery Point, all good areas with good schools. Be aware that schools are stictly zoned in Hobart so choose your place of residence carefully to avoid any hassles trying to get your children into a school you dont live near. This only applies to the Public Schools of course.

So avoid the areas mentioned above and you should be fine. Hobart is very pretty albeit very cold in Winter with wonderful mountain views! I do love Hobart but only to visit now.

Good luck with your move !
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:33 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
I lived in Tassie all my life until 14 months ago when we got sick and tired of the weather and decided to move to the Gold Coast, Qld.

The previous poster is spot on with areas to avoid. Gagebrook is by far the worst place to live, you definately do not want to live there. Clarendon Vale is also quite bad, its over the road from Rokeby, really both places not that nice with lots of Govt. housing there. I lived in Hobart for 12 months before we moved interstate.

Kingston is ok but they have a few hoons out that way although you are close to an ok beach at Kingston. Taroona is ok. Sandy Bay is a great area with good schools both private and public.

If you want to live on the Eastern shore Bellerive is very very nice and so is Howrah but not keen on Clarence High, that school has gone down hill a bit. I speak from first hand experience regarding that school! Lindisfarne is also nice. I lived in Howrah and it only took me 20-25 mins to get to work at the University in Sandy Bay. Warrane and Mornington are also on the Eastern SHore and are only so so as well, there are better areas to live.

North Hobart, Dynyrnne, Battery Point, all good areas with good schools. Be aware that schools are stictly zoned in Hobart so choose your place of residence carefully to avoid any hassles trying to get your children into a school you dont live near. This only applies to the Public Schools of course.

So avoid the areas mentioned above and you should be fine. Hobart is very pretty albeit very cold in Winter with wonderful mountain views! I do love Hobart but only to visit now.

Good luck with your move !
Brilliant post thankyou written all the good and bad areas down now to check out later...LOL
Really appreciate your opinions as I really don't fancy moving to a bad area without knowing!!!!!
Beth x x