Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas around Sunshine Coast

Areas around Sunshine Coast

Old Apr 28th 2006, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Question Areas around Sunshine Coast

Hiya everyone

Just been looking at my fave website (realestate.com) again!
We are looking at heading towards the Sunshine Coast but the prices of houses in Maroochydore, Noosa, Caloundra, etc are a little beyond us (we definitely do not want to over stretch the budget).
Can anyone recommend any nice areas which are just a little inland, at the lower end of the Sunshine Coast, with more reasonable priced properties. Also, we need to be near a decent primary school.

Cheers

Jo
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:44 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Areas around Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hiya everyone

We are looking at heading towards the Sunshine Coast but the prices of houses in Maroochydore, Noosa, Caloundra, etc are a little beyond us (we definitely do not want to over stretch the budget).
Can anyone recommend any nice areas which are just a little inland, at the lower end of the Sunshine Coast, with more reasonable priced properties. Also, we need to be near a decent primary school.

Cheers

Jo
I havent got any answers I'm afraid but I will be watching this post as that is where we are hoping to head. Depends on the wifes job though.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Hiya everyone

Cheers

Jo
You too huh?

Addicted to that site.

Was up til 3 this morning trawling for the 'right' property

Andy
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andicee
You too huh?

Addicted to that site.

Was up til 3 this morning trawling for the 'right' property

Andy

Hiya Andy

You have been pretty quick with you timeline for TRA and visa app. Where are you heading and when do you hope to be there by?

Jo
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny the ball
I havent got any answers I'm afraid but I will be watching this post as that is where we are hoping to head. Depends on the wifes job though.

Hiya Benny the ball (love that name!)

When do you hope to be on the Sunshine Coast?
What does your wife do?
I want to go over to Oz before Xmas but hubbie said he would like to go after as some of the Oz Summer will be over. Sounds daft I know, but he is a Brickie and wants to get used to the heat a little before sweating his you know whats off. :scared:

Jo
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hiya everyone

Cheers

Jo
About a 15 min drive inland from Caloundra gets you to Landsborough or Mooloolah - which both have a train station that goes to Brissie. Don't confuse Mooloolah with Mooloolabah! Also Beerwah is inland ( nr Aussie Zoo) these 3 areas are all nice and are cheaper than being right on the coast.

Good luck.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 6:45 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Hi JoeyB
We checked out Mooloolah Valley for the first time the other day (10 mins Inland from Caloundra/approx 45mins from brisbane) and were really impressed. Land was dearer than we thought for a new block on a new development but it's worth checking out. Had a lovely little village and a country feel. Also near is Beerwah - a little country village again, though I don't think as nice as Mooloolah Valley

15mins inland from Maroochydore is Palmwoods - an up and coming place they say (it just got it's first bank - 1,2,3 aahhh) with a couple of new developments. Has train station and easy access to Motorway to Brisbane.

Further up the coast a bit from Maroochydore is Cooloola (nr Sunshine Coast Airport) - again, lots of empty land still. Not much going on yet but reckon it will be in years to come.

Bli Bli is cheap but I have heard some not so great reports but location is great so it's surprising.

Regarding realestate.com. there was me thinking that I was their no. 1 ????

Happy house hunting

Sunshine Sarah
Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya everyone

Cheers

Jo
Do you realise that when you go inland its red neck and mullet hairdo habitat?
Old Apr 29th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Hiya everyone

Cheers

Jo
hi jo
we moved to from kendal in cumbria just over a year ago and bought a place in buderim, The area is great and all the schools are considered good which is one of the reasons so many people want to live here. My hubby and I, have had a career change and since arriving we have been selling realestate for ray white in buderim. so we do Know a little about prices in the area. we have in the last month sold
a buderim property (3 bed timber home with DLUG (double lock up Garage) on an 850 m block for $300,000 needed a bit of updating but in good order
A 4 bed brick home with 2 bathrooms on 890m flat block in kulluin for $325,000 kulluin merges with maroochydore
we have another property in Kulluin going to auction soon and the price expectations are around the $250,000 range but it does need work
we have sold a property in maroochydore, 200m from the estuary for $285,000 house in very poor condition, but the owner will Knock it down and rebuild in a few years. we have also sold a property at auction in buderim for $275,000
Most of these properties have been on the market for a very short time and are quick to sell because of the price, or alternatively are Auction properties and are advertised without a price. It is important for people looking seriously looking to find contacts in several agencies who will keep them up to date with new properties for sale, as most value properties will be sold by the agent phoning his contacts and informing them of the property details if it is true value it will be sold very quickly.
What we am trying to say is that if you are prepared to do the groundwork there are value properties become available everywhere you just need the contacts.
Where would I recommend currently for cheap properties, depends on what you are looking for, the towns around the glass house mountains are close to caloundra, have good rail links with Brissy and are still cheap. dont know anything about the schools but I am sure someone will know. Kulluin is good value at the moment, Bli Bli is still reasonably priced, and Nambour is cheaper yet still very close to amenaties.

Cazz

ps another public holiday on monday
Old Apr 29th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Hiya everyone

Cheers

Jo
Agree with most others,Beerwah preferable than Landsborough. Glenview nice area just west of the ettomoga(incorrect spelling I think) pub on the Bruce highway, Chevallum, Woombye and Palmwoods.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cazz
hi jo
we moved to from kendal in cumbria just over a year ago and bought a place in buderim, The area is great and all the schools are considered good which is one of the reasons so many people want to live here. My hubby and I, have had a career change and since arriving we have been selling realestate for ray white in buderim. so we do Know a little about prices in the area. we have in the last month sold
a buderim property (3 bed timber home with DLUG (double lock up Garage) on an 850 m block for $300,000 needed a bit of updating but in good order
A 4 bed brick home with 2 bathrooms on 890m flat block in kulluin for $325,000 kulluin merges with maroochydore
we have another property in Kulluin going to auction soon and the price expectations are around the $250,000 range but it does need work
we have sold a property in maroochydore, 200m from the estuary for $285,000 house in very poor condition, but the owner will Knock it down and rebuild in a few years. we have also sold a property at auction in buderim for $275,000
Most of these properties have been on the market for a very short time and are quick to sell because of the price, or alternatively are Auction properties and are advertised without a price. It is important for people looking seriously looking to find contacts in several agencies who will keep them up to date with new properties for sale, as most value properties will be sold by the agent phoning his contacts and informing them of the property details if it is true value it will be sold very quickly.
What we am trying to say is that if you are prepared to do the groundwork there are value properties become available everywhere you just need the contacts.
Where would I recommend currently for cheap properties, depends on what you are looking for, the towns around the glass house mountains are close to caloundra, have good rail links with Brissy and are still cheap. dont know anything about the schools but I am sure someone will know. Kulluin is good value at the moment, Bli Bli is still reasonably priced, and Nambour is cheaper yet still very close to amenaties.

Cazz

ps another public holiday on monday
Cazz

Thanks for that info.
I have looked at Buderim as one of our possible locations and have heard that the schools are good. We have a 7 and a 5 year old and want to give them a really good start (the school they now attend in the UK is brilliant)
The prices you have quoted seem pretty reasonable.. Ideally we are looking for 4 bed 2 bath with enough room to eventually get a pool, but we don't want to much work as we want to concentrate on getting jobs, etc and with hubbie being a brickie, he doesn't want to come home at night and start renovating our place!

I am a civil servant at the moment and I want a total career change when I get over there. You won't believe but I really want to work in real estate as well so I would love to quiz you a bit more about that sometime. Did you find it quite easy to get that job - did you need many qualifications?

Cheers

Jo
Old Apr 29th 2006, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
Do you realise that when you go inland its red neck and mullet hairdo habitat?

We should fit in well then!

JO
Old Apr 30th 2006, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Hiya Andy

You have been pretty quick with you timeline for TRA and visa app. Where are you heading and when do you hope to be there by?

Jo
Yeah, got real serious, REAL quick. Gulp :scared:

Was originally looking at Perth but now, after MUCH debate and late nite consumption of alcohol, it looks like we're headed for the Brisbane area.

Been living on realestate.com and have seen some real nice properties. Reasonably priced too. Just a question of getting the right area with a decent school for our 9 yo daughter.

Hit a bit of an impasse at the moment. Having some work done to the house next weekend and then I think we're going to put it on the market. Looking at other time-lines it looks like about 6 months until we get the visa...hopefully. So just waiting on the house sale then.

Andy