Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which area s do u like in melbourne? Why?

which area s do u like in melbourne? Why?

Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road
Default which area s do u like in melbourne? Why?

Just wondered which areas do you like in Melbourne and why did do move to that area?
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which area s do u like in melbourne? Why?

We are in Beaumaris - chose here because :

1. Near the beach (Bay)
2. Good local shops and everything you need on a day to day basis within walking distance.
3. Good gym nearby
4. Only 30 - 40 minutes into the centre of town by train and car
5. Within easy reach of the Peninsular.
6. Larger houses with room for a pool that are affordable.
7. Escape the City but not too far out.

Glad we came here - have made a whole range of friends from different walks of life and ages both at the gym and the dog park.

Anyone struggling to settle/make friends in this area feel free to contact me, even if I am not your cup of tea (or you mine!) I have quite a few contacts who may be.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I've always stuck around the Clayton/Oakleigh area because it's near work, staggering distance to a train line into the centre and near a a town.

I like to be able to ride my mountain bike into work. Hell for me would be spending most of my time stuck in traffic
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

We're on the Mornington Peninsula - why? Because we get a nice mix of countryside and beach although sometimes I find it a little sleepy!

We spent a year in Brighton which we loved, being close to the bay and the city but having come from Sussex (Brighton ) we found it a bit too built up and missed the countryside. So we discovered Mornington and Mount Martha and have been down here 2/3 years now. It's a bit of a pain if you have to commute but we run our own business from home so we only have to go up to the city every now and again.

I really like Mordialloc for similar reasons Hebe is in Beaumaris but unfortunately now all those suburbs have gone up a lot in the last 2/3 years. I also like Port Melbourne for a really trendy cafe society beach/city suburb although it can get very windy there.

If I wanted bush type countryside then I'd head for Diamond Creek and Eltham both of which are still on the train line commutable into the city but too far from the water for me.

I guess it depends on where you come from in the UK, where you need to be for work which will influence which suburbs will appeal to you and of course your budget! I personally couldn't live in some of the suburbs as they just have no appeal to me and I'd rather be living back in Brighton UK - but it's all down to personal choice.

A lot of Brits do flock to areas that other Brits recommend such as Mornington (hard to find an Aussie accent in Coles sometimes!), Berwick, Eltham area, Point Cook.

There are some lovely areas around Melbourne but unfortunately some of them are a little too difficult for commuting. The best thing to do is to build in some time when you get here and just drive around and see it all. I know lots of people who didn't explore, got stuck in a suburb and then found it difficult to move once the kids settled in a the local school.

Hope this helps.

KK
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I've always stuck around the Clayton/Oakleigh area because it's near work, staggering distance to a train line into the centre and near a a town.

I like to be able to ride my mountain bike into work. Hell for me would be spending most of my time stuck in traffic
I stayed in Clayton a couple of weeks ago and had to walk from the motel to Monash Hospital every day with my brother and sister-in-law. We were told by my family that live in Melbourne to only walk during daylight hours and to make sure we had our bags tightly secured to our bodies. We didn't actually run into any trouble at all though.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kim67
I stayed in Clayton a couple of weeks ago and had to walk from the motel to Monash Hospital every day with my brother and sister-in-law. We were told by my family that live in Melbourne to only walk during daylight hours and to make sure we had our bags tightly secured to our bodies. We didn't actually run into any trouble at all though.
Clayton isn't that bad!
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
We are in Beaumaris - chose here because :

1. Near the beach (Bay)
2. Good local shops and everything you need on a day to day basis within walking distance.
3. Good gym nearby
4. Only 30 - 40 minutes into the centre of town by train and car
5. Within easy reach of the Peninsular.
6. Larger houses with room for a pool that are affordable.
7. Escape the City but not too far out.

Glad we came here - have made a whole range of friends from different walks of life and ages both at the gym and the dog park.

Anyone struggling to settle/make friends in this area feel free to contact me, even if I am not your cup of tea (or you mine!) I have quite a few contacts who may be.
Another vote for Beauy. We've been here for over five years and love it.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:43 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Monbulk, Dandenong ranges.

Fantastic community spirit. Everybody prepared to help out when needed.

Beautiful rural surroundings, plenty of green & lots of space. National Parks in every direction.

Close to Melbourne if you need it. Narre warren, Ferntree/Knox or Canterbury road all within 15/20 minutes.

Better value for your money when renting or buying than most areas on the east side of the city.

1 hour to lots of beaches. 1 hour to the CBD. 2 hours to the snow.