Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Appropriate job....

Appropriate job....

Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

zeenia is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Appropriate job....

Hey everyone......so me n my husband just got the grant,we are migrating on 175 gsm visa,and we will be heading to Sydney probably in feb........i am realy excited.....just wanted to ask what is the job situation over there.....currently i am working in the telecom sector as a quality assurance executive,having a MBA degree(general management).....based on my qualification and experience i am assuming to get a decent job.....if u guys can suggest any areas in which i can fit in....i would realy appreciate it...
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:21 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appropriate job....

Originally Posted by zeenia
Hey everyone......so me n my husband just got the grant,we are migrating on 175 gsm visa,and we will be heading to Sydney probably in feb........i am realy excited.....just wanted to ask what is the job situation over there.....currently i am working in the telecom sector as a quality assurance executive,having a MBA degree(general management).....based on my qualification and experience i am assuming to get a decent job.....if u guys can suggest any areas in which i can fit in....i would realy appreciate it...
Not saying that you won't find something that you are looking for, but nothing is ever certain regardless of what experience and qualifications you have, as many have found out. It's a different ball game, ie some Australian employers prefer Australian qualifications and experience. I hope things work out, but just be prepared for knockbacks.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Moving to a different country is always challenging. Bring the right attitude and some $$ backing and do well at interviews.

Agree the economy is crap but you better here than UK/US Anyway - for talent there is always work.

welcome aboard.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

zeenia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Not saying that you won't find something that you are looking for, but nothing is ever certain regardless of what experience and qualifications you have, as many have found out. It's a different ball game, ie some Australian employers prefer Australian qualifications and experience. I hope things work out, but just be prepared for knockbacks.

Hey..Actually i am hoping to get an entry level job not something big..so that we keep our savings in tact.....and yes you are absolutely right it realy doesnt matter at the end how much experience uve got...so i just wanted to know what sort of entry job should i be looking for.....should i start applying online?or should i start looking when we land there...
thanks...
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:48 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Hey..Actually i am hoping to get an entry level job not something big..so that we keep our savings in tact.....and yes you are absolutely right it realy doesnt matter at the end how much experience uve got...so i just wanted to know what sort of entry job should i be looking for.....should i start applying online?or should i start looking when we land there...
thanks...
I would start doing as much preparation as you can beforehand, i.e. getting some idea of what companies you want to target on arrival, getting your CV/resume up to standard, etc etc. Preparation you do beforehand saves time on arrival. Things can change of course but it may allow you to get that job quicker.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

thanks...
Generally regarded as waste of time especially Agencies - they don't care and won't look into your resume the moment they know you aren't in the country. So get here first. But may be you can pick up the phone to consultancies and set up something. Promote yourself and the day he get here you can go and visit them...have a look arond on www.seek.com.au or mycareer or careerone or whatever.....just to give yourself an idea.

Prepare yourself to the extent possible. Make a list of companies and their HR contacts, target them and that's the best you can do really without being here.