Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Apprehensive About Perth

Apprehensive About Perth

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:49 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Apprehensive About Perth

Ha-ha I'm committed now so will have to give it a year & c how it goes,
Anyway, it will b a change of scenery for a while and hopefully the starting point of many adventures into the East....

Thanks Jo for one of the most in-depth replies.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:53 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

omg i hate those flies i went out to take some picture of insects and flowers in my garden and was surrounded lol Does anyone know how to keep them away HELP
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
Ha-ha I'm committed now so will have to give it a year & c how it goes,
Anyway, it will b a change of scenery for a while and hopefully the starting point of many adventures into the East....

Thanks Jo for one of the most in-depth replies.

Jumbo, if you get fed up with Perth you can always pop over to Bali. Only about 3-1/2hr flight and I definitely recommend it. It leaves Perth for dead.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Interesting thread and nice to hear some mixed opinions

Im 29 and my wife is 23 and we are hopefully moving to Perth in January 457 permitting. I used to be a big clubber but am mellowing out now and are more than happy to have a meal and a couple of bottles of wine rather than going mad for the evening.

I had a few concerns about Perth but we went earlier in the year for a couple of weeks and it was great. Seems to be a really relaxed lifestyle with tons of outdoor space and an interesting work ethic when you compare it to the pressure cooker which the UK is becoming. I think the evening "entertainment" will get very tired very quickly but we are moving there to change our lifestyle and conentrate on more important things like spending quality time together and leading more of an outdoor lifestyle than what we can get in the UK and im sure Perth will give us that.

At the end of the day a place is what you make it, if you look for things to do then you will find them but if you want them to come looking for you then your probably going to be bored pretty quickly. Ive been investigating entertainment for the past few months and have been quietly surprised, there does seem to be quite a lot going on in the Perth/Freo area but as its so spread out and nothing seems to be centralised I think most of it will mean someone being a nominated driver which is a bit of a bummer but no great deal really.

Hell even Carl Cox is playing Perth Big Day Out in February

This is a good site: http://enjoyperth.net/2007/10/big-da...-2008-line-up/
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianhutch1

Im 29 and my wife is 23 and we are hopefully moving to Perth in January 457 permitting. I used to be a big clubber but am mellowing out now and are more than happy to have a meal and a couple of bottles of wine rather than going mad for the evening.

I had a few concerns about Perth but we went earlier in the year for a couple of weeks and it was great. Seems to be a really relaxed lifestyle with tons of outdoor space and an interesting work ethic when you compare it to the pressure cooker which the UK is becoming. I think the evening "entertainment" will get very tired very quickly but we are moving there to change our lifestyle and conentrate on more important things like spending quality time together and leading more of an outdoor lifestyle than what we can get in the UK and im sure Perth will give us that.

At the end of the day a place is what you make it, if you look for things to do then you will find them but if you want them to come looking for you then your probably going to be bored pretty quickly. Ive been investigating entertainment for the past few months and have been quietly surprised, there does seem to be quite a lot going on in the Perth/Freo area but as its so spread out and nothing seems to be centralised I think most of it will mean someone being a nominated driver which is a bit of a bummer but no great deal really.

You come with the right attitude. It knobs me off big time when I hear people saying that their nearest pub in Perth is OK but its not like a UK pub. Well hello, this is Australia wtf do you expect. I hope you enjoy your time in Perth however long it might be.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
You come with the right attitude. It knobs me off big time when I hear people saying that their nearest pub in Perth is OK but its not like a UK pub. Well hello, this is Australia wtf do you expect. I hope you enjoy your time in Perth however long it might be.
I mean't no offence by the pub comment but I think that a lot of people arrive thinking it will be the same as the UK but hot. As you know, it's a totally different life. My brother in law came out and we knew he wouldn't like it, he is a pub bloke through and through. Not really interested in beaches/sightseeing etc. but as much as we told him beforehand that he would be bored and might not like the things we did, he WOULD NOT have it. I'm sure he still thought that it was going to be like Spain but hotter! Anyway, predictably he hated it and walked around singing Ghost Town to my brother in law (who lives in Perth and LOVES it) .... it didn't end up being the best visit we had from relatives!!

JO
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:38 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
weve got two locals up here,,and its just like somewhere you would go and visit on a sunny sunday in england...

its a tough old life...

but its just got to be done....

aston (happy as a pig in sh1t ,with the flies)
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
weve got two locals up here,,and its just like somewhere you would go and visit on a sunny sunday in england...

its a tough old life...

but its just got to be done....

aston (happy as a pig in sh1t ,with the flies)
I agree, I had dinner in the Kalamunda Hotel last Monday night and its lovely and you could indeed be in a country pub in England. However, a lot of people want the best of both worlds, they want the hussle and bussle of their local town centre and they want to put it somewhere the sunshines more. It doesn't work like that and people who expect it to really get on my lallies!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:52 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

good on ya ,all you can do is try it and see ,i have found the isolation from other towns one of the hardest things to deal with .After doing perth/freo and the beach and the hills a few times it really is quiet hard to find something to do that is fresh and new without spending heaps of time and money ,but anyway ive been here neally 20 years so no wonder i have worn the place out .Good luck on you for your move .
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:54 am

ianhutch1, very good post, ur right.
I'm defintely not looking for a UK style environment, it is a pressure cooker in the UK these days, everything seems to be rush, rush, work, work, road rage, road rage, buy, buy, drink, drink and I just seem to increase in velocity as the weeks go on, hurtling in one side of the weekend and out the other with another hectic week ahead.
I think a booming economy has alot to do with it, everyone wants everything immediately as if there's some great unknown urgency. (can u tell I'm stressed with my lifestyle at the moment!!)

Ferris Bueller was right when he said
"Life moves prety fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you may miss it"
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

I really have found that enjoyperth website a good source, I was really worried that Perth would be too quiet for us but I signed up the the mailing list and they send emails every couple of days detailing what is on in Perth over the next few months and its quite surprising really how much is on.

Im sure there are loads of people in the same boat as us, we could always join forces and open a nightclub if things get too bad

Hope to meet up with you when we get out there, always good to meet new people
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mate you've got nothing to lose. As you can see Perth doesn't suit everyone, but where does? I spent quite a few years in Perth but personally prefer the eastern states. Just go for it and enjoy yourself. At the end of the day it's just another life experience.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:12 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Apprehensive About Perth

[ This is a good site: http://enjoyperth.net/2007/10/big-da...-2008-line-up/[/QUOTE]

Agree with you there Hutch.

If your stuck for beers, there will be an Oldhamer there next spring there hopfully -lol

Dave
Oldham
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:13 am

Ha-ha owning a nightclub sounds good...we could take it a step further and create our own Eutopian society? Or am I just being silly now
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mindblower
If your stuck for beers, there will be an Oldhamer there next spring there hopfully -lol

Dave
Oldham
Defininely mate, hahaha we are from Stalybridge just around the corner

Have stuck you on my buddy list which is currently serving as my reminder of people to contact once we arrive to meet up with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.