apprehensive

Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default apprehensive

hi there,my family and i are planning to move to perth next october,we received our visas feb 2003 and visited perth for a month last may/june, we loved all that we saw and were determined to move but the longer the wait the more apprehensive we become,thinking of problems and difficulties,we don't have anybody in oz which i don't think helps,i'd like to think i'm just being irrational but would appreciate some encouragement.
everybody on the forum seems to be so enthusiastic and positive,just thought i'd throw in some pessimism.
like to hear your thoughts,martin.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apprehensive

Originally Posted by fitz
hi there,my family and i are planning to move to perth next october,we received our visas feb 2003 and visited perth for a month last may/june, we loved all that we saw and were determined to move but the longer the wait the more apprehensive we become,thinking of problems and difficulties,we don't have anybody in oz which i don't think helps,i'd like to think i'm just being irrational but would appreciate some encouragement.
everybody on the forum seems to be so enthusiastic and positive,just thought i'd throw in some pessimism.
Hi Martin. This is a common question on here. Only you can persuade you to take the plunge. If you had a month in Perth, even though you were on hols you will have a fair idea of if the lifestyle suits you, etc. We've got no family in Oz either but we're going to do it because it's something we've thought about for ages and we decided we should take a chance on it while we're young. If it doesn't work, so what? We'll come back here or more likely go somewhere else.
There are lots of positive and negative comments on here, have a good read and take on board the things that are relevant to you and see if that helps.

Good luck with it!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:55 pm
aussie73

If you liked the place on your holiday it is most likely you will like living there,
otherwise, you may get homesick and go back to the Uk and it will have turned out to have been nothing worse then an expensive holiday.

Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hi Martin. This is a common question on here. Only you can persuade you to take the plunge. If you had a month in Perth, even though you were on hols you will have a fair idea of if the lifestyle suits you, etc. We've got no family in Oz either but we're going to do it because it's something we've thought about for ages and we decided we should take a chance on it while we're young. If it doesn't work, so what? We'll come back here or more likely go somewhere else.
There are lots of positive and negative comments on here, have a good read and take on board the things that are relevant to you and see if that helps.

Good luck with it!
hi there,thanks for the reply,your right in that there will be some positives and negatives but it would be nice to hear from people who have made the move and come through these fears or have had problems adjusting,thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

we received our visas feb 2003 and visited perth for a month last may/june, we don't have anybody in oz which i don't think helps, everybody on the forum seems to be so enthusiastic and positive
I don't think you'll really know whether it's for you on the strength of a month's holiday. That, to me at least, is just common sense. Is there any way you could go for an extended period (6 months to a year) without, perhaps, burning too many bridges? I guess you could rent out your house or something.

As for everyone being so positive, someone told me an anecdote that when he was living and working in Sydney his girlfriend came to visit. Before she had got out of the airport people were asking her how she liked Australia. From my time there I found there's a real cultural fascism about never criticising the place. It's an unwritten rule that everyone must constantly say that everything in Australia is wonderful. I find that inability to self-analyse rather scary.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:06 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Just take the plunge you'll love it. We are in Adelaide and they have a meet and greet service here, you need to find out if Perth as a meet and greet service and the transisition would be much easier for you. Or just book a couple of weeks in an apartment like a holiday and start from there. It is really easy to get into a rental and there are short lets from 3 months, if you are planning to buy.

Surf the web for meet and greet, Adelaide also have a site called adelaidebrits.com.au, maybe perth has this.

Good Luck and be positive, it will be a great move for you and your family.

Lara
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by clevs
Just take the plunge you'll love it. We are in Adelaide and they have a meet and greet service here, you need to find out if Perth as a meet and greet service and the transisition would be much easier for you. Or just book a couple of weeks in an apartment like a holiday and start from there. It is really easy to get into a rental and there are short lets from 3 months, if you are planning to buy.

Surf the web for meet and greet, Adelaide also have a site called adelaidebrits.com.au, maybe perth has this.

Good Luck and be positive, it will be a great move for you and your family.

Lara
There is a meet and greet service in Perth. Talk to Gail (aka Jopaulss on this forum). I think the website is www.perthmeetandgreet.com

Dave