Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for uni

Applying for uni

Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:17 pm
Got Visa

hopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nice
Default Applying for uni

Hi

Please can anyone tell me when my daughter needs to apply for uni in order to start in Feb 2010. From what I have read it is in June , I have tried e mailing the Uni but have not got an answer.

She is hoping to do a teaching degree at Griffith gold coast. Has anyone else applied before gettting to Oz ? can you give me any helpful advice ?

thanks Annette
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:01 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for uni

Originally Posted by hopefullybrisbane
Hi

Please can anyone tell me when my daughter needs to apply for uni in order to start in Feb 2010. From what I have read it is in June , I have tried e mailing the Uni but have not got an answer.

She is hoping to do a teaching degree at Griffith gold coast. Has anyone else applied before gettting to Oz ? can you give me any helpful advice ?

thanks Annette
Contact the student administration department (number on their website) and also contact the department themselves...

Here's a link for the department:

http://www.griffith.edu.au/education...ast/contact-us

I know in nursing we get students about Nov time but that's after they have applied to QTAC so June may be right...

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:39 pm
Got Visa

hopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nicehopefullybrisbane is just really nice

Thanks for that Stitch ... hopefully they will be able to help
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Stitch ... hopefully they will be able to help
If you are arriving with permanent visas, make sure they don't think she will be an "international student".

At the same time, you need to find out if it is possible to make an application for a domestic fee place before arrival.

Some email addresses never get looked at or answered => if you don't get a response, pick up the phone.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:04 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thanks Annette
You need to apply through QTAC http://www.qtac.edu.au/

Last edited by Kelli28; Mar 12th 2009 at 11:06 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Has your daughter already got her A levels? She will actually need to have her A level certificate not just her results when she applies to QTAC for an ENTER score. We had the same issue with our son who is now at Uni in Townsville, his results had come out in August before we emigrated in the September but the actual certificates didn't come out until the November. We actually had to wait and have it couriered across before he could apply. School leavers here apply about September but their results don't come out until December. Places aren't offered for a lot of courses until January when the first round offers are made. If she already has her certificate then she should be able to get the necessary application into QTAC. Teaching may be different to other undergraduate courses but she may still have to wait until places are officially offered for next year.

As previously mentioned make sure you apply for a commonwealth assisted place otherwise even the domestic fee will be extrememly high let alone an international one. Unfortunately unless you are a citizen she will not be eligiable for HECS help (student loan) or the upfront payment discount. She should be able to pay each semester but you will need to pay in full at this time. This varies from course to course but estimate about $4000 per semester on a commonwealth place course.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:53 am
Banned

tester23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Has your daughter already got her A levels? She will actually need to have her A level certificate not just her results when she applies to QTAC for an ENTER score. We had the same issue with our son who is now at Uni in Townsville, his results had come out in August before we emigrated in the September but the actual certificates didn't come out until the November. We actually had to wait and have it couriered across before he could apply. School leavers here apply about September but their results don't come out until December. Places aren't offered for a lot of courses until January when the first round offers are made. If she already has her certificate then she should be able to get the necessary application into QTAC. Teaching may be different to other undergraduate courses but she may still have to wait until places are officially offered for next year.

As previously mentioned make sure you apply for a commonwealth assisted place otherwise even the domestic fee will be extrememly high let alone an international one. Unfortunately unless you are a citizen she will not be eligiable for HECS help (student loan) or the upfront payment discount. She should be able to pay each semester but you will need to pay in full at this time. This varies from course to course but estimate about $4000 per semester on a commonwealth place course.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Generally you will need to apply in Aug/Sep to start 2010, although it may be earlier for areas like Med and Pysch