Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for UK Retirement Pension

Applying for UK Retirement Pension

Old Jul 1st 2015, 3:51 pm
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice
Default Applying for UK Retirement Pension

Hello,I have recently retired and have begun to complete the Form IPCBR1 to find out what, if any, retirement pension I am due, and what a mission this has been! I think I am almost there with the questions, BUT, one of the questions is asking about holidays back to the UK including dates. I arrived in Australia in 1981 and have been back quite a few times but have no idea how I can recall exactly how many and when. Not even sure if I still have my old expired passports.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and how they handled it? Is this a crucial question?
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Pip007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for UK Retirement Pension

I'm at the same stage as you and have the same question. Also I need to know whether they need all previous UK addresses dating back to birth. I have about 24 addresses. And almost as many jobs to report. I plan to call UK the support number tomorrow and I will post on here what I learn.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:59 am
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice

Hi Pip, I have just posted my form today, hallelujah! What an effort, it will be interesting to see if I am due anything. I found my old passports and they had dates leaving Perth but nothing for return dates. I just put approximately 3/4 weeks later for return. I didn't move around much at either home or jobs so that bit was easy. Funny tho, typing this I have just remembered I didn't record a little Saturday job I has as a school girl. Dont expect that could make too much of a difference tho. Wishing you best of (British) luck.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Would have thought the important item would be your old National Insurance number. From this they can check what you paid in and thus whether you are entitled to any pension. UK state pension is dependent on your contributions.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 11:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Would have thought the important item would be your old National Insurance number. From this they can check what you paid in and thus whether you are entitled to any pension. UK state pension is dependent on your contributions.
+1

Your NI number is the main thing. When Scouse sent his enquiry off, he could only remember 2 past addresses, and 1 job (he'd had that one for a long time). None of that was a problem - DWP just used his NI number to check all his past history and his basic state pension was granted. (partial state pension, that is - he only had 25 years work history in the UK).
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Quiltman and Spouse of Scouse. My original expectation was that having the NI number should give them everything they need to know. So it came as a surprise to see the application form asking for such detailed responses. Like a lot of application forms they tend to be good at thinking up questions to ask, but don't do anything with the answers. Like Pet, I'm just going to list everything I can think of and hope for the best. But I have to call them with a question about my (USA) bank which has no Swift code number, so I plan to ask them about the "How many visits/employers' questions as well.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

I just called the UK pensions centre. Got a very helpful young chap from Newcastle. Here's what I learned: The "any addresses" question is actually a security check to make sure you are who you say you are. He said that the last two addresses is all they need, or one address if that's all you have. Same goes for details of employers. He said that the question about short visits to UK can be ignored.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pip007
I just called the UK pensions centre. Got a very helpful young chap from Newcastle. Here's what I learned: The "any addresses" question is actually a security check to make sure you are who you say you are. He said that the last two addresses is all they need, or one address if that's all you have. Same goes for details of employers. He said that the question about short visits to UK can be ignored.
glad you got it sorted.