Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

applying to NZ then going to OZ

Wikiposts

applying to NZ then going to OZ

Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default applying to NZ then going to OZ

A question for you NZ bound pals.

If you get PR for Nz can you then enter NZ and go and live in Australia? If you can how long do you have to wait before you can go?
What about if you enter NZ on a business visa?

A friend of mine wants to go to Aus and doesn't fulfil the points test. There might be a chance she could get into NZ.

many thanks.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 5:00 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: applying to NZ then going to OZ

Originally posted by tinaj
A question for you NZ bound pals.

If you get PR for Nz can you then enter NZ and go and live in Australia? If you can how long do you have to wait before you can go?
What about if you enter NZ on a business visa?

A friend of mine wants to go to Aus and doesn't fulfil the points test. There might be a chance she could get into NZ.

many thanks.
Only NZ citizens can go live & work in Aus. But Aus PR holders AND citizens can go live & work in NZ. Someqwhat unequal. So the waiting time for those NZ-bound is 3 years (if they fancy working in Aus), for those Aus-bound one airport entry through Immigration and you can get on the next plane for NZ.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

i read in New Zealand Outlook paper that NZ were thinking of increasing the period from 3 years to 5 years as lots of people are heading to New Zealand to get to Oz.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by millertime
Hi there

i read in New Zealand Outlook paper that NZ were thinking of increasing the period from 3 years to 5 years as lots of people are heading to New Zealand to get to Oz.
hmm, yes I heard that rumour as well.....they better not change it within the next 8 weeks is all i'll say :scared: :scared:

russ
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

We're planning to do it the other way IF we don't like Oz.

If we went to NZ from Oz before getting our Citizenship and stayed in NZ on our Oz PR, say for 5 years, would we then go for NZ citizenship or OZ and if Oz would we have to return to get it?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Once you've lived in NZ for three years (assuming you entered NZ on a valid Aus RRV) you'll be eligible for NZ citizenship. DIA treat an Australian RRV the same as a NZ RRV, so you don't need to obtain NZ PR - your aussie PR will do.

One thing to be very careful of though is that you don't leave NZ without an aussie RRV that will be valid when you return to NZ.

Lets say you move to Australia and spend 2.5yrs in Aus before deciding you hate the place so decide to move to NZ. You then fly to NZ and are given a Residence Permit by customs on arrival (which entitles you to remain there indefinitely). You then live quite happily in NZ for the next 2.5yrs and your aussie RRV quietly expires in your passport. If you were to leave NZ (say for a holiday) after your aussie RRV expires, and you hadn't obtained NZ Citizenship then you would NOT be allowed back into NZ as a permanent resident - you would effectively have lost your Auss PR and be in the horrifying position of having a home/job/life in NZ but no legal authority to live there.

So yes, you can indeed move to NZ with an aussie RRV, however it then becomes very important to obtain NZ Citizenship at the earliest opportunity because as soon as your initial Aussie RRV expires, you can't leave NZ without Major! headaches - you would have to apply to NZIS for NZ PR (and of course would have to meet the criteria for PR in force at that time).

Another way round this problem is to apply for Australian Citizenship and get an aussie passport whilst you are in Oz. The above scenario would of course then never happen.

Russ.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:35 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
hmm, yes I heard that rumour as well.....they better not change it within the next 8 weeks is all i'll say :scared: :scared:

russ
Russ,

Whats happening in the next 8 weeks. I did not pick you as a 'back door entry' sort of guy!!!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Guillemot is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Aussie RRV

For the purpose of this discussion, does Aussie RRV mean the same as Aussie PR? I thought the RRV was a visa you apply for when the initial 5 year PR visa expires?

John
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by southerner
Russ,

Whats happening in the next 8 weeks. I did not pick you as a 'back door entry' sort of guy!!!

Been here 3yrs in October, so can apply for citizenship. My period of exile (as my UK mates say) is almost over

seriously tho....no plans to ditch NZ yet.....although the company I'm working for at the moment is planning on opening a division in Aus towards the end of next year. One idea floating around my mind is to stay in NZ for the next year or so, then move to aus with the company im working for now (convieniently means i'll have a job waiting for me over there <g>) then once I've worked for the aus division for 6 months (which of course equals 5 bonus points) apply for PR sponsored by the aus division

Scheme, moi? Never

Russ
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:59 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
Been here 3yrs in October, so can apply for citizenship. My period of exile (as my UK mates say) is almost over

seriously tho....no plans to ditch NZ yet.....although the company I'm working for at the moment is planning on opening a division in Aus towards the end of next year. One idea floating around my mind is to stay in NZ for the next year or so, then move to aus with the company im working for now (convieniently means i'll have a job waiting for me over there <g>) then once I've worked for the aus division for 6 months (which of course equals 5 bonus points) apply for PR sponsored by the aus division

Scheme, moi? Never

Russ
Russ

So you like it both ways then?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by southerner
Russ

So you like it both ways then?
thats not the sort of question u ask in Bexpats...this is supposed to be a family channel(??!??!!) lol