Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for citizenship? Don’t forget police clearance.

Applying for citizenship? Don’t forget police clearance.

Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Grey Wolf is on a distinguished road
Default Applying for citizenship? Don’t forget police clearance.

Two years nearly up? Are you counting down the days before you can apply for citizenship? Maybe sweating on the legislation change from two to three years?

May I offer you a bit of advice…

If you didn’t migrate to Australia within the first year of receiving your permanent residence or, if like me, you moved here then left for a time (more than a year) before returning, then you will almost certainly need to include a police clearance certificate with your citizenship application..

I didn’t find this out until I had my citizenship interview – it wasn’t stated on the list of forms to take along (although it is mentioned on the DIMIA web site). Fortunately, because I lodged my application at the time of the interview, my application is still proceeding but it cannot be approved until I provide the clearance certificate. I was told by the police in England that it can take up to 40 days to come through and when you add on the postage time, looks like I could be waiting as long as two months.

I’m hoping I receive the clearance before I take a holiday to the UK at the end of November and in enough time for my citizenship application to be approved otherwise it will frozen whilst I am out of the country. I was informed at the interview, providing I have approval before I leave Australia, I can take my holiday just so long as I obtain an RRV and that I get back in time for the citizenship ceremony.

I could of course postpone the ceremony but I’m hoping to make it in time for Australia Day…it all depends on getting police clearance in time.

So if this applies to you, I would advise that you get your subject access form sent off now – it only costs a tenner (pounds) and will save you a bit of time – could mean difference between waiting two or three years for you citizenship.

Last edited by Grey Wolf; Oct 7th 2005 at 1:26 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for citizenship? Don’t forget police clearance.

Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
Two years nearly up? Are you counting down the days before you can apply for citizenship? Maybe sweating on the legislation change from two to three years?

If you didn’t migrate to Australia within the first year of receiving your permanent residence or, if like me, you moved here then left for a time (more than a year) before returning, then you will almost certainly need to include a police clearance certificate with your citizenship application..

I didn’t find this out until I had my citizenship interview – it wasn’t stated on the list of forms to take along (although it is mentioned on the DIMIA web site). Fortunately, because I lodged my application at the time of the interview, my application is still proceeding but it cannot be approved until I provide the clearance certificate. I was told by the police in England that it can take up to 40 days to come through and when you add on the postage time, looks like I could be waiting as long as two months.

I’m hoping I receive the clearance before I take a holiday to the UK at the end of November and in enough time for my citizenship application to be approved otherwise it will frozen whilst I am out of the country. I was informed at the interview, providing I have approval before I leave Australia, I can take my holiday just so long as I obtain an RRV and that I get back in time for the citizenship ceremony.

I could of course postpone the ceremony but I’m hoping to make it in time for Australia Day…it all depends on getting police clearance in time.

So if this applies to you, I would advise that you get your subject access form sent off now – it only costs a tenner (pounds) and will save you a bit of time – could mean difference between waiting two or three years for you citizenship.

When does legislation change from 2 years to 3.

We have been here 15 months now.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for citizenship? Don’t forget police clearance.

Originally Posted by Grey Wolf

This is a new requirement - it was brought in late last year.

If you have lived in Australia as a PR for 2 years in the last 5 (which you will have done, as a citizenship applicant) you can get an RRV over the counter at a DIMIA office. Cost AUD120.

They won't approve your citizenship application while you're offshore but other than that it's not a problem.

People who *apply* for citizenship before the law change will not be affected. In a situation like that I'd suggest applying first, and sorting out the police check later on.

The same applies if any other documentation is missing - you do not need these to make a valid citizenship application.

Jeremy