Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship

Applying for Citizenship

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:06 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
no, you do not become a citizen until youve had the ceremony and said the pledge/oath, then you are a citizen.
You can stand in a shorter queue at the airport then....
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

We applied for citizenship last September 2006. We finally get the ceremony next week. So nearly ten months!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still not sure about this...

Is the rule that you have to have been in the country for two years before you apply or before you get it?

If so, could I apply, leave the country and fly back for the ceremony?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I'm still not sure about this...

Is the rule that you have to have been in the country for two years before you apply or before you get it?

If so, could I apply, leave the country and fly back for the ceremony?
You have to have been IN the country for 2 years. That's why I applied 2 years to the day that we arrived.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

So many of you lot give me the pip! You are so desparate to get citizenship but have little or no committment. It is simplly for your convienience. I suppose I am very old fashioned, but when you swear allegience to something surely that is supposed to show that you are committed. Just like your marriage vows.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
You have to have been IN the country for 2 years. That's why I applied 2 years to the day that we arrived.

Hope this helps.
So, could I apply after two years being in the country and then leave and just return for the cermony?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gibbo
So many of you lot give me the pip! You are so desparate to get citizenship but have little or no committment. It is simplly for your convienience. I suppose I am very old fashioned, but when you swear allegience to something surely that is supposed to show that you are committed. Just like your marriage vows.
Hope you're not referring to me.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you're not referring to me.
It was a general comment after reading so many posts on the subject.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:13 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Perth.

We arrived here 10th March 2005.

Applied for the Citizenship Interview 10th March 2007.

Interview 28th March - passed no problem.

Citizenship Ceremony City of Joondalup 24th Octobetr 2007.

Hope this helps.
Once you get your letter from the minister's office confirming your status, you can ring the local council and opt for a private ceremony with the Mayor. That's what I did. Saves waiting for the next public ceremony. I think I had a reason though, so you might need to give one as well, not 100% sure on that.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I have also heard there is a test to take now to get Citizenship. Questions and test.
There is legislation before Parliament to put this into effect. It will be some time before it becomes a reality.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So, could I apply after two years being in the country and then leave and just return for the cermony?
If you leave Australia to live elsewhere before being sworn in as a citizen, they can revoke your application.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you leave Australia to live elsewhere before being sworn in as a citizen, they can revoke your application.
This makes a bit of a nonsense of the two years living in Australia rule - because of the waiting list for the ceremony it means more like 2 and a half years doesn't.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:46 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

This makes a bit of a nonsense of the two years living in Australia rule - because of the waiting list for the ceremony it means more like 2 and a half years doesn't.
Once you get your letter from the minister's office confirming your status, you can ring the local council and opt for a private ceremony with the Mayor. That's what I did. Saves waiting for the next public ceremony. I think I had a reason though, so you might need to give one as well, not 100% sure on that. If you're planning on leaving the country for business or family matters they would be valid reasons to get the private ceremony I would think.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's quite true.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 10:10 am
Jedi Princess

Yes that's quite true.
Try reading my post about private ceremonies. It shortens the process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.