Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

apply or just go

apply or just go

Old May 18th 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

dazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura about
Wink apply or just go

OK i need help,I am confused.This is the situation.
I am an English born Ausralian citizen living in the UK,I am married now with 2 children who are all uk citizens We want to move over to Oz but dont know the best way to do it,I think i have 2 choices. Apply like everyone else, with a spouse visa for wife and kids and wait in uk till all goes through or just go over then apply whilst there,later seems dodgy just incase they dont get accepted and we have to come back.
Is there anybody out there in a professional position who works for the emigration dept who can advise me on what to do.
thanks
Daz
[sorry about any spelling mistakes]
Old May 18th 2004, 8:39 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apply or just go

Originally posted by dazandreb
I am an English born Ausralian citizen living in the UK,I am married now with 2 children who are all uk citizens We want to move over to Oz but dont know the best way to do it,I think i have 2 choices. Apply like everyone else, with a spouse visa for wife and kids and wait in uk till all goes through or just go over then apply whilst there,later seems dodgy just incase they dont get accepted and we have to come back.
Is there anybody out there in a professional position who works for the emigration dept who can advise me on what to do.
thanks
Daz
Hi Daz. I think your best bet is to give somebody like Alan Collett or George Lombard a ring. Do a search for posts by them on here and you'll find their contact details.
Old May 18th 2004, 10:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
Daz
Grab booklet 1 (1127) from www.immi.gov.au .

Apply in the UKand read cherry6 s posts to see why. It is cheaper, quick and as long as you are a legit couple with no health or character issues you should get your partner visa quickly.

And if you do not get accepted in Oz (where they sometimes seem ott in evidence requests) then you can appeal but still maybe heading back.

Getting your visa in the UK is very straight forward. If you have been with your wife more than 2 years you should get PR straight off as you have children.

Last edited by bondipom; May 18th 2004 at 10:42 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:30 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Hi daz how you doing.

As bondi says, check out the cherry6 thread. Knowing your situation as I do, you and bex will have no trouble with the spouse visa, you'll be able to get bank statements and lots of other proof going back years. Fairly quick process too I think mate.

Glad you guys are looking at this. We'll be having a cold one round your dads pool in no time!!

p.s. We'll have to take Bekah and Loz out again soon.

later daz

Old May 19th 2004, 11:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For you it's simple - apply for an Australian passport at the Australian High Commission in London.

For your husband - the best way is likely to be the simple way, apply for a spouse visa at the Australian High Commission in London.
http://www.australia.org.uk

They are fairly quick to process spouse visas currently.

If you have children and have been together for 2 years, then your husband should get a permanent visa straight away. This will allow him to become an Australian citizen after 2 years in Australia.

Children - are they eligible for Australian citizenship by descent?
They should be if they are aged under 25, and you are either:
- born in Australia; or
- naturalised in Australia; or
- have lived in Australia at least 2 years,

See form 118:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/118.pdf

If for some reason the children are not eligible for Australian citizenship by descent, then they need to be included on your husband's spouse visa application as dependent.

Otherwise just get them Australian passports after they are registered as citizens - no need for visas in that case.

Jeremy

thanks
Daz
Old May 19th 2004, 11:56 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by JAJ
For you it's simple - apply for an Australian passport at the Australian High Commission in London.

For your husband - the best way is likely to be the simple way, apply for a spouse visa at the Australian High Commission in London.
http://www.australia.org.uk

They are fairly quick to process spouse visas currently.

If you have children and have been together for 2 years, then your husband should get a permanent visa straight away. This will allow him to become an Australian citizen after 2 years in Australia.

Children - are they eligible for Australian citizenship by descent?
They should be if they are aged under 25, and you are either:
- born in Australia; or
- naturalised in Australia; or
- have lived in Australia at least 2 years,

See form 118:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/118.pdf

If for some reason the children are not eligible for Australian citizenship by descent, then they need to be included on your husband's spouse visa application as dependent.

Otherwise just get them Australian passports after they are registered as citizens - no need for visas in that case.

Jeremy
Jeremy, if you could, could you define "straight away" for me. I'd love to have a fairly educated guess on how long a spouse visa takes to grant. My wife has no health or criminal issues, but I didn't front load her app

Keeping in mind that I'm dealing with Washington, not London, so things may be a lot different.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

When I say 'straight away' in this context, I don't mean processing time, but rather the fact that the permanent visa should be granted at the first stage, without the need to spend 2 years on a temporary spouse visa.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Ulujain
Jeremy, if you could, could you define "straight away" for me. I'd love to have a fairly educated guess on how long a spouse visa takes to grant. My wife has no health or criminal issues, but I didn't front load her app

Keeping in mind that I'm dealing with Washington, not London, so things may be a lot different.