Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Apple MAC users in Perth/Australia - advice needed please!

Apple MAC users in Perth/Australia - advice needed please!

Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apple MAC users in Perth/Australia - advice needed please!

Having just seen a friend's MAC set-up (he has been using Apple products for a year or so), I can say I was impressed!

With that in mind, can anyone recommend through knowledge of local stores/personal experiences on whether I should
1) buy Apple products like iMAC etc in UK & ship them over with other goods (with 5 weeks to go, not really looking at this unless stock availability is a major issue in the other options below) OR
2) buy them in Duty Free (which airports?, what happens to GST?, is there an AU $ limit on how much I can purchase in Duty Free for shipment to Perth (I will ignore the limit set by the mrs!)?, Or do I have to carry everything with me onto the flights to Perth? etc, etc) OR
3) buy directly in Perth (where/website?) OR
4) buy online via Apple Store in Australia

I appreciate there will be price differences from product to product in the options above but I am also looking at all this from ease of purchase, delivery/shipment, stock availability, warranties, etc perspectives - so any words of wisdom on how best to buy Apple products for use in Perth will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice
Default Re: Apple MAC users in Perth/Australia - advice needed please!

Hi, I'm originally from the UK now living in NZ. On our way over we stopped over in Singapore and brought our mac which was much cheaper. I can't remember whether we had to pay the GST before boarding the plane or in NZ Anyway it was much cheaper for us and the mac's fantastic
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

troj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by inOz2008
Having just seen a friend's MAC set-up (he has been using Apple products for a year or so), I can say I was impressed!

With that in mind, can anyone recommend through knowledge of local stores/personal experiences on whether I should
1) buy Apple products like iMAC etc in UK & ship them over with other goods (with 5 weeks to go, not really looking at this unless stock availability is a major issue in the other options below) OR
2) buy them in Duty Free (which airports?, what happens to GST?, is there an AU $ limit on how much I can purchase in Duty Free for shipment to Perth (I will ignore the limit set by the mrs!)?, Or do I have to carry everything with me onto the flights to Perth? etc, etc) OR

I appreciate there will be price differences from product to product in the options above but I am also looking at all this from ease of purchase, delivery/shipment, stock availability, warranties, etc perspectives - so any words of wisdom on how best to buy Apple products for use in Perth will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hi,

We bought our Mac in Aus. Its superb. Possibly paid a bit over the odds for it - $2300 for 20", 5 year warranty, airport express and MS office for Mac.

It is so easy to set up and use (even for a computer novice).

We hardly use the laptop (windows) anymore and when it needs replacing, we'll be getting a Macbook...
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:19 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inOz2008

Thanks
There is no massive price advantage in purchasing from overseas. Apple price worldwide pretty much the same. A local dealer will give you a couple of hundred of bucks off if you beg enough though. Mine did.

DO NOT buy applecare cover in the UK and then bring it to Australia. You are not covered. You can buy the machine anywhere you like but then purchase Applecare in Australia afterward for cover here.

IMO get the price from the Apple site. Phone a coupe of dealers and say what you want them to price up for you and you'll save yourself a few bucks. Nobody will advertise discounted mac products so web hunting isnt going to help much.

Much less hassle that buying when overseas. I imported my macbook pro but had to ditch the packaging before the flight and carry it on with me. If you march in with a new in the box item then although you would have claimed back the duty in the country you bought it in, you could be had up for import duty and GST when bringing it in because its over $1000 (i think thats the limit).

That said. Having been an avid windows user for many years I switched to Apple 5 years ago or so and now would rather do without a computer than switch back.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Winthrop Technology at UWA are pretty good for Macs.

I'm on a Mac right now and as each PC on my home network shits itself and dies it's being replaced by a Mac.

I think I might be getting a Mac Book Pro at work!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
Winthrop Technology at UWA are pretty good for Macs.

I'm on a Mac right now and as each PC on my home network shits itself and dies it's being replaced by a Mac.

I think I might be getting a Mac Book Pro at work!
I have a MacBook Pro and live in Nedlands close to UWA. The Apple service centre is nearby on Stirling Highway in Nedlands. We've had good service from them.

Galba
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Big Mac community in Oz (fries are optional )

Here's the goss:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=38

http://mactalk.com.au/
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:54 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

They have an Apple shop in T3 at Singapore airport, I was going to buy a universal power supply package but thought it was too dear, so just swapped plugs on uk lead, I did buy a mighty mouse but can't find receipt for price.