Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:57 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Since we are on the subject of incorrect grammar, here are a few simple rules to improve your written work:

1. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

2. Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.

3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.

4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.

5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat.)

6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.

7. Be more or less specific.

8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.

9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies endlessly over and over again

10. No sentence fragments.

11. Contractions aren't always necessary and shouldn't be used to excess so don’t.

12. Foreign words and phrases are not always apropos.

13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous and can be excessive

14. All generalizations are bad.

15. Comparisons are as bad as cliches.

16. Don't use no double negatives.

17. Avoid excessive use of ampersands & abbrevs., etc.

18. One-word sentences? Eliminate.

19. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake (Unless they are as good as gold).

20. The passive voice is to be ignored.

21. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words, however, should be enclosed in commas.

22. Never use a big word when substituting a diminutive one would suffice.

23. Don’t overuse exclamation points!!!

24. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.

25. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth-shaking ideas

26. Use the apostrophe in it's proper place and omit it when its not needed and use it correctly with words’ that show possession.

27. Don’t use too many quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

28. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a billion times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly. Besides, hyperbole is always overdone, anyway.

29. Puns are for children, not groan readers.

30. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.

31. Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.

32. Who needs rhetorical questions? However, what if there were no rhetorical questions?

33. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

34. Avoid "buzz-words"; such integrated transitional scenarios complicate simplistic matters

35. People don’t spell "a lot" correctly alot of the time.

36. Each person should use their possessive pronouns correctly

37. All grammar and spelling rules have exceptions (with a few exceptions)....Morgan’s Law.

38. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

39. The dash – a sometimes useful punctuation mark – can often be overused – even though it’s a helpful tool some of the time.

40. Proofread carefully to make sure you don’t repeat repeat any words.

41. In writing, it’s important to remember that dangling sentences.

41. When numbering in a written document, check your numbering system carefully.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Does that lot come from that nice book named after the habits of a Koala, which I shall not name because I'll get all the ' ' ' ' ' s in the wrong place.....(owing to the wine and Nurofen!)?
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Since we are on the subject of incorrect grammar, here are a few simple rules to improve your written work:

9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies endlessly over and over again

11. Contractions aren't always necessary and shouldn't be used to excess so don’t.

13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous and can be excessive

19. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake (Unless they are as good as gold).

21. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words, however, should be enclosed in commas.

25. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth-shaking ideas

26. Use the apostrophe in it's proper place and omit it when its not needed and use it correctly with words’ that show possession.

27. Don’t use too many quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."

28. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a billion times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly. Besides, hyperbole is always overdone, anyway.

32. Who needs rhetorical questions? However, what if there were no rhetorical questions?

34. Avoid "buzz-words"; such integrated transitional scenarios complicate simplistic matters

37. All grammar and spelling rules have exceptions (with a few exceptions)....Morgan’s Law.

39. The dash – a sometimes useful punctuation mark – can often be overused – even though it’s a helpful tool some of the time.

41. When numbering in a written document, check your numbering system carefully.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Sorry! Missed that can you go over that again?
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:22 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
Does any one know the extent of use of double negatives in OZ, specifically Melbourne?

We are just about ready to send off our 136 application (hopefully tomorrow after getting 61 copies certified!) but I am becoming increasingly concerned about certain facts coming to light, mainly through this excellent web-site, concerning the non-perfectness of Australia.

My main concern is the use of double negatives. This is highlighted as a major UK crisis in various, quality, informative TV programmes like Wife Swap, Holiday Swap*, Trisha and other 'reality' programmes; which I try very hard not to watch, although I do enjoy the holiday one.

I can accept the fact that it won't be sunny everyday, we won't necessarily actually be better off financially, there may be drugs and crime, there will be more creepy crawlies and we won't be eating BBQ everyday but what I will not stand for is suffering an increased use of DNs.

I feel very strongly about this and am considering not sending our application unless I can be assured of a better understanding of basic English. I mean why move to the other side of the World just to hear more double negatives?

We spent 4 months in OZ a few years ago but I am afraid that we were having far too much of a good time to pay attention; how we learn. Obviously the problem in living there is that any issues will become far more exasperated.

Looking forward to any and all advice or thoughts.

Cheers,
Peter.

As a note. My wife is a primary teacher and blames the parents.

*Quote from last weeks episode.
Father says to son, whilst sitting at a posh dinner table in Dubai,-''I don wanna hear no noise from you''... what is the kid supposed to do?

However they talk, if it's with a smile on their face and a spring in their step I don't care about poor Grandma!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:26 pm
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

Cheers,

DagBoy
Eh? didn't understand a word of that, too many long wordy things and not enough pics!

Ok on a serious note, I dont blame the teachers or parents i blame the music that is being produced at the moment.
One song for example has 3 lines in it that makes me soo mad, for example
He is rich
She is rich
They is rich

What is this telling our children?

Now can somebody find me a step ladder so i can get off my high horse please?
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fremantleraider
Now can somebody find me a step ladder so i can get off my high horse please?

Sorry haven't got no step ladder
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He is rich
She is rich
They is rich

That songwriters can't write in good English? Actually, I have a very pedantic 11 year old nephew, who often goes up to his mother and says "I don't like XXXX's latest song becaue the English is very poor, they should speak properly".......he then proceeds to give examples of the poor English he's heard.
He'd get on well with PWBCSA
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=PWBCSA]I feel very strongly about this and am considering not sending our application unless I can be assured of a better understanding of basic English. I mean why move to the other side of the World just to hear more double negatives?
QUOTE]

Just look on the bright side, you will not hear people in Australia finishing sentences with "innit" but.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:34 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Apparently OZ isn't perfect...

Originally Posted by Stewie
Sorry haven't got no step ladder
You've not got a step ladder??? You'll not be doing much good then?

And where's the comma after 'sorry'?? Honestly!

Phil x
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That songwriters can't write in good English? Actually, I have a very pedantic 11 year old nephew, who often goes up to his mother and says "I don't like XXXX's latest song becaue the English is very poor, they should speak properly".......he then proceeds to give examples of the poor English he's heard.
He'd get on well with PWBCSA
He sounds very ... special
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

One song for example has 3 lines in it that makes me soo mad, for example
He is rich
She is rich
They is rich

That there are a lot of rich people in the world
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:33 pm
Go Banana's !!

Cheers,

DagBoy
Does this mean I won't get me diary pooblished then???

Jill

Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Stewie
Dunt know what everybodies on a baht. Theres nowt wrong wi language in this country. Tha wants to get th sen darn rood and si what the sey in ar local pub. Theres sum reight accents and double negatives gooing on darn dere! I'll tell the!
Eh ups, tek tha coyt off, sit thee sen daarn, and ave some fish an finerks. West Yorkshire na na na!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:04 pm
Mel Gibson

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
Does any one know the extent of use of double negatives in OZ, specifically Melbourne?

We are just about ready to send off our 136 application (hopefully tomorrow after getting 61 copies certified!) but I am becoming increasingly concerned about certain facts coming to light, mainly through this excellent web-site, concerning the non-perfectness of Australia.

My main concern is the use of double negatives. This is highlighted as a major UK crisis in various, quality, informative TV programmes like Wife Swap, Holiday Swap*, Trisha and other 'reality' programmes; which I try very hard not to watch, although I do enjoy the holiday one.

I can accept the fact that it won't be sunny everyday, we won't necessarily actually be better off financially, there may be drugs and crime, there will be more creepy crawlies and we won't be eating BBQ everyday but what I will not stand for is suffering an increased use of DNs.

I feel very strongly about this and am considering not sending our application unless I can be assured of a better understanding of basic English. I mean why move to the other side of the World just to hear more double negatives?

We spent 4 months in OZ a few years ago but I am afraid that we were having far too much of a good time to pay attention; how we learn. Obviously the problem in living there is that any issues will become far more exasperated.

Looking forward to any and all advice or thoughts.

Cheers,
Peter.

As a note. My wife is a primary teacher and blames the parents.

*Quote from last weeks episode.
Father says to son, whilst sitting at a posh dinner table in Dubai,-''I don wanna hear no noise from you''... what is the kid supposed to do?
Australia's not perfect, it has many of the same problems as the UK, drugs crime etc. obviously, but it has advantages over the Uk that many people believe makes it a better place to live such as a nicer climate, thousands of miles of fantastic beaches, less crowded and conjested, less pollution, more parks and open spaces, larger and cheaper houses.

Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Well we cant blame this dude for not looking critically at australia.

Honestly mate, australias a bit of a rough/tough, common if you will its not really the place to come if you hope the kids are going to grow up with fine accents and speech. In fact I'd go further manners, my Mrs is english and people always comment on how our kids are not like aussie ones and actually have manners, please, thank you lack of swearing, people always comment on it.

Think on, after a few years here your sons and daughters will have the aussie twang and all those aussie phrases you wont love My wife always jokes shes glad we had a gang of boys she just couldnt have faced daughters speaking da aussie twang and slang :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.