ANZAC Day

Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ANZAC Day

I volunteer at an OAP home and today the residents were invited to attend the ANZAC celebration at the primary school across the road, so I went to help.

It was very moving. I was really impressed by the behaviour of the kids, and the whole attitude of remembering the sacrifices of those who've gone before, remembering how tragic war is, and how lucky we are to live In Australia in a time of peace.

It struck me that it's a shame that, say, Remembrance Day is not a PH in the UK, and that we don't seem to celebrate our fallen in the same way.

(It also struck me that, with all the things I have to do today, perhaps the most important thing was to hold an old lady's hand and try to comfort her when she got upset.)
Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:32 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANZAC Day

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I volunteer at an OAP home and today the residents were invited to attend the ANZAC celebration at the primary school across the road, so I went to help.

It was very moving. I was really impressed by the behaviour of the kids, and the whole attitude of remembering the sacrifices of those who've gone before, remembering how tragic war is, and how lucky we are to live In Australia in a time of peace.

It struck me that it's a shame that, say, Remembrance Day is not a PH in the UK, and that we don't seem to celebrate our fallen in the same way.

(It also struck me that, with all the things I have to do today, perhaps the most important thing was to hold an old lady's hand and try to comfort her when she got upset.)
Lovely story.
I agree its a shame UK doesn't have a PH but I disagree that its not held in high regard. I happened to be in UK last Nov and very unusually for me felt compelled to go to church and follow the march with local sea cadets. The service in a very old church in a quaint country town was beautiful. Every lost souls from the parish had their name read.
I was amazed and touched that in the UK we think it has become such reverence and respect does still exist.

Lest we forget.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

philch1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on what I have seen from living in Sydney, Anzac day is an excuse for pubs to have drinks promotions, and for people to start drinking in the afternoon and be drunk by 6pm. Of course many people attend the dawn service and pay their respects, but many just see it as a day off work.

I think the national silence and wreath laying at the cenotaph is a more dignified way to remember. Just my opinion of course.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they do much in schools for Remembrance Day? Can't remember for me, and never had a kid in school there.

Take your point about the piss-heads, though.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

And I guess I was also thinking its a shame that we don't publicly celebrate Britishness, as being proud of your country (which I am, even though I live happily here) has become associated with the National Front. I think there's a lot to be proud of, and we don't celebrate it enough.

(And yeah, I guess it'd be a drunk fest like Australia Day, but I'm not too old (yet) to lose my idealism.)
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Do they do much in schools for Remembrance Day? Can't remember for me, and never had a kid in school there.

Take your point about the piss-heads, though.
They didn't at my daughter's school in the UK before we moved here. Can't comment on other schools.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
They didn't at my daughter's school in the UK before we moved here. Can't comment on other schools.
Probably not "politically correct". Drives me mad. We can pay our respects to the fallen AND show respect for others.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

My kids did loads for it at uk school, we had a special assembly and they children had written poems, done research etc. they really knew what was going on.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Ditto the schools my girls went to in the UK. I think a lot of it is to do with the fact they don't 'do' 11/11, they do the Sunday thing and it dilutes it. Imo anyway. Don't think it's anything to do with being PC