ANZAC Day

Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default ANZAC Day

To be honest, still haven't totally got my head around this, but as we are wannabe Ozzie's we watched Gallopoli the film (with Mel) tonight. Unbeliveably sad and depressing. Obviously there wasn't really some guy running around (I presume), but jeez, is this a vaguely real representation of what went on? If so, I am beginning to understand why it has its own 'day'.

This is obviously a sensitive issue, but any comments would be welcome...
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANZAC Day

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
To be honest, still haven't totally got my head around this, but as we are wannabe Ozzie's we watched Gallopoli the film (with Mel) tonight. Unbeliveably sad and depressing. Obviously there wasn't really some guy running around (I presume), but jeez, is this a vaguely real representation of what went on? If so, I am beginning to understand why it has its own 'day'.

Galipolli was a mess that's for sure but the way it's portrayed and thought of by a lot of Aussies is not true.
Nearly 3 times more Brits were killed there than Aussies.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

Check out what it is all about here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/..._tradition.htm
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:43 am
Banned

havinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nice

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz

I am a history teacher. Gallipoli is about the futility of war, the ANZAC spirit (mateship, humour and courage in adversity etc)

ANZAC soldiers in WW1 were volunteers, and they were fighting to keep Briatain safe - at that stage Australia was not threatened with invasion (though it is possible that could have occured down the track if England lost the war)

Winston Churchill made a huge tactical error in deciding to invade the Dardenells, and many young Kiwis, Aussies, French and British lost their lives. (along with the Turks)

The ANZAC commerations are a wonderful tradition that is very much part of the "culture" of Australia.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen
Check out what it is all about here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/..._tradition.htm
What the article doesnt mention was just how close the referendum to form the various colonies into the Commonwealth of Australia went to be being lost. WA was one colony that didnt want to join.

Consequently, Gallipoli was fundamental in forging the national identity.

WW
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:52 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Gallipoli is a very good film - if it can keep my Year 9 boys silent for an hour and a half, it's got to be good!

It's odd - watched the film with my SOSE class the other day and the Learning Support teacher (an English person) gave me a huge (rather heated on her side) tirade after we watched it about the actual casualty rate for each country (Aust was 5th after just about everyone else) and how she's been in Australia all these years (about 50!) and never understood the fuss over Anzac Day etc.

As an Aussie (who doesn't care that much for Aussie would much rather be living in Scotland, pretending to be Scottish - aye pal, that's my jaicket. got any spare charity, oidche mhath ) but despite all my cynicism towards Australia and 'culture' still find myself quite attached to Anzac Day. I think, like many cultural traditions, it's more about the tradition associated with it, and the feelings it evokes, and all the symbolism,than the actual death count. It's just the way humans and civilization seem to work. Turkey and Britain have heaps of other traditions and historical events to call their 'own', what else does Australia have?

I think a lot has been done about pushing it in the education system as well, and promoting it to youngsters (although they are still stunningly ignorant).

The Year 9s wouldn't even believe me that it was actually Mel Gibson in the film ("It can't be, Miss! He's OLD!" )