Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ANZ - how to pay charges from UK

ANZ - how to pay charges from UK

Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:11 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Question ANZ - how to pay charges from UK

We opened an account with ANZ a couple of months ago and today we recieved a statement and already I am in the red in Oz with bank charges, only $10.07 . So we need to put a small amount into this account, what is the easiest way to do this? We will be using Ozforex to send the proceeds from our house when the sale goes through but that wont be for a few months, this is really to tide the account over till then.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Clairex
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANZ - how to pay charges from UK

Originally Posted by belleandscone
We opened an account with ANZ a couple of months ago and today we recieved a statement and already I am in the red in Oz with bank charges, only $10.07 . So we need to put a small amount into this account, what is the easiest way to do this? We will be using Ozforex to send the proceeds from our house when the sale goes through but that wont be for a few months, this is really to tide the account over till then.

Thanks
Clairex
this firm is reliable (plenty of other options though):

http://www.tranzfers.com/
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I use them
Old Feb 17th 2007, 11:17 am
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Thanks
Clairex
We made a payent into an oz bank account using our UK account. We had to go in a fill form out, and quote the $ who wanted to transfer. I think it took about a week to get out there and we had to pay about £20 to do it! Bit expensive, but at least you can deal with your own bank if anything goes wrong.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tranzfers charge £7 a go, and are very helpful.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Clairex
Don't bother doing anything. They'll close your account and you can open a new one when you get here. (and you wont have to pay the fees you currently owe)

This is what we did.

Do you need an ANZ account whilst your not living here?
Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:44 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: ANZ - how to pay charges from UK

We need the account open to transfer the money from our house sale in May, we had hoped to have put money in already but unfortunatly havent managed yet. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
Clairex
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:38 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

We need the account open to transfer the money from our house sale in May, we had hoped to have put money in already but unfortunatly havent managed yet. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
Clairex
Can I ask what may seem a REALLY stupid question?

If you didn't have any money in it why are they charging you $10?????????????

Jen
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:46 am
Just Joined

sonu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i had 2 bank accounts in UK HSBC and barclays and there was no acct maintaince fee in UK. I opened my acount in commonwealth bank and transfered money. when i moved to Oz i see that they are charging me $5 to maintain my account. WTF!!

when i asked them why? and told them there was charge in UK. They would tell me "This is not UK".

I also had a Premier HSBC account in India and when i approched HSBC in Melbourne they said they will open a Premier account in Oz and i wont be charged any montly fee and also i can have unlimited transactions a month + a debit card. Also i can withdraw money from any ATM without any charges. Good is it?
I will close my commonwealth bank account now.

http://www.premier.hsbc.com

Cheers
P

Money saved is money earned.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Can I ask what may seem a REALLY stupid question?

If you didn't have any money in it why are they charging you $10?????????????

Jen
Because as long as the account is open, you are still liable for bank fees, whether you have money in there or not. This happened to me a few years ago with Westpac. I was in the UK at the time, and had about $250 in my westpac account. (I didn't realise at the time about the fees being waived if you kept the minimum balance inyour account which I think was $2,000). Anway, when I came back and went to withdraw on it, because the bank fees were debited every month, the balance of my account was nil, and I ended up owing them money, that is why I now bank with HSBC and ING. No more bank fees.

Last edited by sassie; Feb 19th 2007 at 5:41 am.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sassie
Because as long as the account is open, you are still liable for bank fees, whether you have money in there or not. This happened to me a few years ago with Westpac. I was in the UK at the time, and had about $250 in my westpac account. (I didn't realise at the time about the fees being waived if you kept the minimum balance inyour account which I think was $2,000). Anway, when I came back and went to withdraw on it, because the bank fees were debited every month, the balance of my account was nil, and I ended up owing them money, that is why I now bank with HSBC and ING. No more bank fees.
Oh ok I see sorry

Do they have HSBC in Australia??? That'd be handy cause thats who we're with now

Jen
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

But HSBC in Australia have nothing to do with HSBC in the UK, they might as well be a different company. There are better banks than them anyway. Someone posted on here an account with Citibank with no monthly accounting fee as long as you get your wages paid in
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

sonu is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: ANZ - how to pay charges from UK

i dont know if hsbc uk has anything to do with hsbc Oz. i had a premier bank account in hsbc india on that basis i was able to get a premier account in Oz.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:33 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

DO NOT use ANZ - they are shocking!!

I'm opening the new Citibank account and ANZ can swivel!!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

What banks do people recommend ?

What banks if any don't charge??? which ones are the best known - i.e national

Jen